The young guns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueblue

Player Valuation: £60m
Can any of the young academy players make an impact on the first team this season?

Dobbin
Onyango
Simms
Warrington
Whitaker
Mills
Welch
Campbell
I may be leaving someone out in that list.

I'd be surprised tbh. Dobbin or Simms are probably the closest but I'd expect both to be bench at best, couple of cup appearances.

The one you missed out is Isaac Price. If we are planning to play 343 and have the 2 CMs be all-rounders, then I think he might have a shot. He has energy for days and is solid but not spectacular in pretty much everything. Onyango has generally got the hype because of his size but Price is probably the one to watch imo.

I also really like Warrington but pretty sure he will have been promised another loan.

Can any of the young academy players make an impact on the first team this season?

Dobbin
Onyango
Simms
Warrington
Whitaker
Mills
Welch
Campbell
With the 5 subs next season, I would hope to see one or two of them, if they are doing it in training, because Simms has been out on loan and fairly successful at Hearts it would be good to see him in preseason and maybe against some premier league CB,s

Dobbin
Onyango
Simms
Warrington
Whitaker
Mills
Welch
Campbell

I’m a firm believer in throwing the good ones in to just find their level rather than constantly loaning them out. Last season was not the time for it given the injuries to first team starters and our precarious position. This season is different though.

If we’d kept moaning DCL out I’m not sure he’d have ever shone much at that level, it was only because we persisted with playing him constantly that he finally found form. Similar with Barkley and Gordon who both did nothing really on loan.

Of all of them I think Dobbin Pryce and Welch are worth a place in the squad.

I think Dobbin should get his chance to impress this season.
I would equally like to see Simms given an opportunity.
I would hope Lampard/ Thelwell can identify others from that list who they feel can be successfully integrated with the first team this season because with the change in subs the squad needs to be deeper than ever to achieve some level of success.

Some 'enlightened' pundit (and, yes, I know who it was but decency forbids me mentioning his name) once said...'you will never win anything playing kids'. Well, that was very astute of him...not. Sort of out there with the EMI guy who failed to sign up The Beatles.

We need to start trying some of these lads out and if they're not good enough back our judgement and move them on. We need to avoid having lads on our books that have hardly been involved in the first team and are 23/24 years old.

I think Dobbin should get his chance to impress this season.
I would equally like to see Simms given an opportunity.
I would hope Lampard/ Thelwell can identify others from that list who they feel can be successfully integrated with the first team this season because with the change in subs the squad needs to be deeper than ever to achieve some level of success.
Any reason he never went to the England u19 euros. Not making that squad is prob a decent indicator of where he is at

I'd be surprised tbh. Dobbin or Simms are probably the closest but I'd expect both to be bench at best, couple of cup appearances.

The one you missed out is Isaac Price. If we are planning to play 343 and have the 2 CMs be all-rounders, then I think he might have a shot. He has energy for days and is solid but not spectacular in pretty much everything. Onyango has generally got the hype because of his size but Price is probably the one to watch imo.

I also really like Warrington but pretty sure he will have been promised another loan.
I knew I would forget someone obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.