This nurse Letby case

They have yet to say if the verdicts were unanimous or not. The judge allowed them to return a majority verdict if they needed to. The prosecution might seek a re-trial on the six cases that were undecided. I think the jury have done avery thorough job. You can't assess nine months of evidence in a few hours.
If there was going to be a unanimous verdict they'd have reached it prior to being instructed to find a majority verdict.

This has miscarriage of justice written all over it. I'd be staggered if the defence team dont ask for a re-trail given the preposterous level of half truths and lies the prosecution witnesses originally told the authorities prior to giving evidence in court.

Sickening. Abhorrent individual to say the least.

I believe some are just born like this, if evil is taught then who was the original teacher.
The vast majority of abusers are the previously or currently abused, which could be construed as learned behaviour or at the least trauma that induces erratic behaviour. I'm sure there are cases when analysis can find no explanation also.

….the most prolific child killer in British history & the belief is that more will be discovered. Police now reviewing 4,000 children in her care.

Worst than evil.

I think you need to go back and read the whole court case.

You cant just swing in on the verdict and state that, it'll make you look like a know-nothing reactionary...

There’s steps being made to change it.
The current situation might be the least worst. How would those on trial be forced to attend verdicts? beat em up? sedate them? gun point? What if they just shout for hours through it? Threats abuse and worse.
A very worrying topic has again reared it's head - Andrew Malkinson was found guilty of rape - wrongly. Once upon a time he'd have been executed, and his blood on the hands of the state, and those that fit him up.

If there was going to be a unanimous verdict they'd have reached it prior to being instructed to find a majority verdict.

This has miscarriage of justice written all over it. I'd be staggered if the defence team dont ask for a re-trail given the preposterous level of half truths and lies the prosecution witnesses originally told the authorities prior to giving evidence in court.

….I suspect a lot more will come out now that’s not been reported so far for legal reasons. This could be the tip of the iceberg.

The hospitals she worked in will now really come under microscope, how she got away with it for so long.

I think that's a hanging judge mentality.

If you'd read the massive discrepenacies in the prosecution case you;d understand why the jury took two months to get a verdict - and not a unanimous one by any means.

Expect an appeal and a new trial next year.
But a verdict nevertheless, on seven counts of murder. There was clearly enough evidence for conviction, with the CPS considering retrial on those undecided.

And when you said unanimous, are you saying on all convictions or some? With the 10-1 ruling in place, I would be surprised if she is cleared of any or all.

The current situation might be the least worst. How would those on trial be forced to attend verdicts? beat em up? sedate them? gun point? What if they just shout for hours through it? Threats abuse and worse.
A very worrying topic has again reared it's head - Andrew Malkinson was found guilty of rape - wrongly. Once upon a time he'd have been executed, and his blood on the hands of the state, and those that fit him up.
The most likely scenario will be they'll be given time to serve (a custodial), whether they're guilty or not - a contempt of court ruling.

If you're facing a whole-life term, that ain't much of a threat though is it.

It’s becoming ridiculous now. They should be dragged if need be into the dock to face the judgement…..
How much violence are you happy with doled out dragging individuals to verdicts? Would you like the verdict secretly known first so no bones get broken or no teeth get knocked out for those that'll come in not guilty? Similarly those on for a guilty can have a little extra violence? Obviously the state will have to train and pay regional ninja squads just for this purpose. Maybe even televise it? Sponsored by 'Fat Terry's knuckle dusters', "punching power we can all enjoy...."

Madness.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back