Tim Cahill - an Everton executive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry, was just reading up on that now, yeah not a degree, but a business course.

Still, it's more than Sharp's got!

I don't want him on the board or as a DoF. But in a niche role I think there's room for him as long as he has power. He's played a big part in that academy in Qatar. I think there's a role for him here.
Yeah... I dont really care what the role is called or anything like that, but a few things I would like to see-

Making sure that the football set up is integrated- that the academy, scouting departments etc are all serving the first team rather than concentrating on their own performance
Offering the board/owner advice on management/coaching appointments... whether they are a good fit at the club. He has recently done is coaching badges and is `tuned in´ to the latest coaching innovations etc... so he can push in that department.
Sense checking the route to the first team for academy graduates
Is the academy functioning and following best practice? i.e. being a leader (inclduing recruitment)
Long term thinking on the football side!

If that role is given the title of Director of Football or is just an advisor, I dont care... but someone independent of the manager to sense check everything that is happening and feed that back to the board, who dont have the competence to do that, is necessary. The director of foootball doesnt need to be out their buying a load of south americans...

Has no experience for DOF role, but an executive position would be good, seems to have been successful in getting things done and appears pretty well connected.

Not sure how you're getting to that conclusion from scoring a goal against former players but you do you.
I am in my sixties and I still meet people I played sport against forty odd years ago.
Cahill is building a career in the game and will know and have access to a wide network of people that he will have had contact with through his playing career and after.
With his name, his reputation and his contacts he will be able to pick up his phone and have access to just about everybody in football.

Incidentally, from what I understand:

DOF: Focuses on players. Including but not limited to the recruitment deals and player contracts.

Technical/Sporting Director: Focuses on the staff. Recruitment including coaches, scouts and medical department and implementing an overall vision. They have a seat on the board.

I know we moan about jobs for the boys, I have no problem with it, providing they are the best person for the role at the time and not just because they are ex players.

The problem is we have no idea of anyone's skillset once they retire. This is why we are supposed to have knowledgeable football people in these positions.

Why does everyone say he's doing very well at Eupen? He's not even been there six months yet.

People are just desperate not to equate him with the 'jobs for the boys' philosophy for some reason.

He has had a lot of plaudits for what hes done at Aspire Academy mate.

I'll be honest I think it's the other way. People seem to want to hammer a footballer, who has tested himself on 4 continents, got a qualification from a leading University, and has taken a job running an emerging football club in a 5th continent. Hes then taken a DOF role up at an ambitious, heavily backed European club in Europe.

I mean, I don't think he can be equated to Franny Jeffers or whatever.

What I'd also say, is if Tim Cahill didnt play for us, theres not a chance hes leaving a job where hes backed by Qatari royalty, and a linked job where hes basically turned around Qatari football ahead of a world cup. Not a chance in a million years.

I know we moan about jobs for the boys, I have no problem with it, providing they are the best person for the role at the time and not just because they are ex players.

The problem is we have no idea of anyone's skillset once they retire. This is why we are supposed to have knowledgeable football people in these positions.

But you can look what what someone has done, and achieved to get an idea of skillset.

No offence to either you or Cahill but how are we quantifying him doing 'very well' here?

The testimonies of people who have worked with him, or around football in Qatar is very good mate. Good enough that Qatar royalty gave him a pretty senior job at one of their European clubs.

Lots of people in and around football talk very positively about Cahill. I dont think you get employed by people involved with projects like Qatar if you are not doing a good job, and a job that is to a far higher standard than we have at our club.

Should absolutely be at the club. Is clearly driven and has taken steps to acquire a broad knowledge of different facets of football.

What his role should be I don't know, but he should definitely have a role of some sort, imho. Should in no way be lumped in with Sharp etc.

He has had a lot of plaudits for what hes done at Aspire Academy mate.

I'll be honest I think it's the other way. People seem to want to hammer a footballer, who has tested himself on 4 continents, got a qualification from a leading University, and has taken a job running an emerging football club in a 5th continent. Hes then taken a DOF role up at an ambitious, heavily backed European club in Europe.

I mean, I don't think he can be equated to Franny Jeffers or whatever.

What I'd also say, is if Tim Cahill didnt play for us, theres not a chance hes leaving a job where hes backed by Qatari royalty, and a linked job where hes basically turned around Qatari football ahead of a world cup. Not a chance in a million years.
You can never tell until someone gets the job, but Cahill could easily have stayed where he was on a nice number as you say.

He doesn't strike me at all as someone who would just nod along with everything and has very clearly maintained a deep interest in the club from afar.

It's foolish to hope for anything as far as Everton are concerned but I would welcome Cahill as DOF or executive role, and he is probably the only ex-player I would give a role to.

It's important though that executive / managements roles and directorships are not combined. One manages day to day, the other oversees and provides governance. There is no need for the DOF to be on the board.

If they intend to make changes they might as well start afresh and rebuild from scratch.

But you can look what what someone has done, and achieved to get an idea of skillset.
Players who retire but want to stay in the game, generally have already started planning long before retirement. They also have to start somewhere but you'd think if we had a DOF or even competent chairman we'd have an inkling of a players skillset in certain roles.

These guys are in football all their lives. Some manage, some coach and some go technical director or DoF, it would be established well in advance what role they would be wanting. You can't look at what they've done if they've never done it before but you'll know what they hopefully would bring to the table.

Stands in boardroom punching a corner flag.

I used to love that “celebration“ until I found out whst it represented.

I always thought it was sommat about kangaroos.

But apparently it was in “honour“ of his brother…whom was in a prison in Oz for punching some fellow ?

Status
Not open for further replies.