Tim Howard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just waiting for a bid from the RS today for Tim as they are linked to everyone who has a good game at the World Cup!!

Not trying to be controversial or trolling, but most of the saves were straight at him, or he used his feet a little, yes he had a good game but reading all the reports this morning, i thought i`d watched a different game. They will be bringing out the Banks/Pele save next.
Tim would have been disappointed to have been beaten by most of those efforts, ( pundit mode)
I actually disagree tbf mate. You look at how many of those shots are fantastic chances where really the striker is expected to score, despite the angle. Yet Tim Howard closes down that angle with good positioning again and again and again, and then saves each of those shots well. The key to a good keeper is consistency and despite being hammered with Belgium having golden chance after golden chance, Tim Howard kept a clean sheet for 90 minutes and did a fantastic job between the sticks.
tim-howards-saves-against-belgium.gif

This first shot here is basically near enough a one on one and is a top save. Here Tim makes himself big and covers the angle of his near post before going down low to steer the ball wide.

The second shot here is an example of good positioning (again covering his angles), and then reflexes to get down and stop that shot.

This save here is a top top save. 9/10 times you expect the striker to slot that easily. Again he makes himself big and covers the angle, making him go across him so that he can get his feet in the way. If you look at a close up of the shot from 1.05/1.10, you'll see he times his save perfectly.

Again likewise with these two, both top saves.

When you combine consistency with top saves, you really have a brilliant performance.
You've been swayed by them conceding two goals. But you have to take into account that if a non world class keeper is playing in goal, USA are conceding 3 or 4 in Normal Time let alone Extra Time. Howard kept them in it end of.
Theres a huge amount of difficulty involved in saving with the feet and the quick reflex adjustment of body position to get behind a ball, and hes not only done it a few times but consistently in a string of top saves to keep his team in a knockout game.

I think i agree with what a lot have said on here already - never a better time to sell him.

I think we could get 5-7mill for him. That would really mitigate the Lukaku fee.

On the Portugal save, yes a fantastic recovery save but I think Tim would be the first to admit that he dealt with the first effort poorly (see his reaction after the recovery). Still a great recovery tough.

Top keeper, and those that are quick to pan him after a mistake mustn't watch much football as every keeper makes them. Tim makes far fewer than most.

would rather see Robles as our no.1 next season. Howard is erratic when coming off his line and has cost us on several occasions this season. and let's not even get into his distribution-utterly awful.

Springthorpe well ahead of the both IMO

Getting on a bit don't you think? Maybe time to get the younger lads involved?

True. He even disappears in them games though.

I would like at the season end for the club to give him his P45. This is a position just as much as CM and Striker that needs to be sorted. We need a new younger goalie.

When one of those long shots come flying in its like watching one of the walking dead.

Next season I think Robles will begin getting more games for us with a view to being 1st choice the following year.

Meh honestly thought he had a poor game today flapping at shots and not very confident with crosses and shots. Played very well in the last 15 mins mind you. Needs to be upgraded.

Still played well just doesn't inspire confidence for me

Yo!

Anybody else think our new GK coach deserves a lot of credit? It was only 18 months ago most of us here wanted Tim out and he was doing gash star jumps instead of saves.

Last season under our new coaching team was IMO his best yet and now he's set a new record at the a World Cup!

Well in Tim and team!

@Kiwi
Thanks for making the clips. The game is about opinions, Tim did well, but any decent keeper, never mind one at World Cup level would be expected to stop those.In my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back