Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today's Football - 2023/2024 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m more referring to situations where a defender is pulling out of a challenge entirely but the attacker tries to get the legs tangled anyway to buy the pen. In that situation it’s the attacker deliberately initiating contact but all too often it works. It gets called “clever” but really it should just be a foul against the attacker.
I take your point mate but I don’t agree. It’s a much, much quicker game now than it was even a few years ago, and quick attacking players take advantage of defenders making lazy or poorly timed challenges. Horrible when it goes against you, but it’s just the nature of the beast these days.

I know he never got many for us, but we signed one of the pioneers of the art in Andy Johnson.

I take your point mate but I don’t agree. It’s a much, much quicker game now than it was even a few years ago, and quick attacking players take advantage of defenders making lazy or poorly timed challenges. Horrible when it goes against you, but it’s just the nature of the beast these days.

I know he never got many for us, but we signed one of the pioneers of the art in Andy Johnson.
VAR means there is zero consistency in the decision making

These soft fouls shouldn't be given and the game would be enormously better if they weren't.

I don't want soft fouls to be given inside or outside the box. The bar at which a free kick is given is now absolutely any contact, no matter how minimal. Why are refs not letting the game flow? In what way is the game enhanced by this?
I don't think it is enhanced in any way mate and I agree with you that soft fouls are given, but if there given outside the box they've got to be given inside. I can't be doin with these Co commentators saying "it's not enough for a pen" and two minutes later, less of a foul is committed in the centre circle and the same dim wit will say, "it's definately a foul." WTAF.

VAR means there is zero consistency in the decision making

These soft fouls shouldn't be given and the game would be enormously better if they weren't.
I detest VAR and think it is in no way fit for purpose, so you'll get no argument from me on that score.

I have seen a bunch more replays this morning, though, and I maintain that last one was enough of a pen to be given in real time, let alone after review. Doesn't matter if the player goes down easily, a trip is a trip. Defender took out his standing leg very clearly so it's a pen. If that exact same scenario plays out on one of our attackers, I absolutely guarantee you're in here fuming if it wasn't given.

Two controversial pens.
Yellow for a head butt,possible red.
No 2nd yellow for wolves pen.
No wonder wolves are fuming .
Apparently the ref has admitted to Gary O'Neil the first pen should not have been given.
Then you have Wilson theatrically diving into the challenge for the second.
Both pens are debatable but what's not debatable is the double standard of "clear and obvious."

The first, the ref gave the decision to Fulham and VAR deemed there was no clear and obvious error by the match official despite the fact that one camera angle showed Semedo touching the ball. Then the ref ways play on for the second until VAR interferes. Again, a similar decision to the first but this time it is deemed a clear and obvious error although you can clearly see Wilson falling to the ground before he got to the ball.

That's four penalties given against Wolves in a month and every single one of them was highly debatable and apologies issued to Wolves in 3 of them. Add that to the other fiasco's such as the non penalty at Man Utd and you can see why some teams feel the odds are against them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back