Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Tom Cleverley

Status
Not open for further replies.
He had a really good game, and he is so eager to get forward. But I think it also showed why McCarthy is such a key part of the team. I understand we were throwing everything forward, even before they scored, but Cleverley was just that 5 yards further upfield than McCarthy usually is, and they were able to hit us on the counter.

That's not a slant on Cleverely's performance, but why I feel that McCarthy is still the first name on the teamsheet when fit. If he recovers from his injury in time for the Norwich game, I'd slot him straight back in, and move Cleverley out to the left, with Kone on the bench.

I reckon they'd have hit us on the counter even if McCarthy was playing.

Bit missing in most of last night tbh, getting near the box he seemed to come alive though.

So he should be back up to Barkley in that sense, a good back up to have.

Think he played really well. Kept the forward momentum going and having two midfielders who could pick an incisive pass meant Barkley wasn't just crowded out. Probably the best team midfield performance I've seen from us this season.

I reckon they'd have hit us on the counter even if McCarthy was playing.

True, they're very good at it and set up to play that way - it's why they're so hard to beat on the road.

But Cleverley I think is naturally more adventurous than McCarthy - which is fine and he played really well - but I think with McCarthy there he'd have been maybe five yards further back (at times) which would've helped us stem some attacks, the one that led to the corner for their goal being an example.

Not knocking Cleverley at all, though.

True, they're very good at it and set up to play that way - it's why they're so hard to beat on the road.

But Cleverley I think is naturally more adventurous than McCarthy - which is fine and he played really well - but I think with McCarthy there he'd have been maybe five yards further back (at times) which would've helped us stem some attacks, the one that led to the corner for their goal being an example.

Not knocking Cleverley at all, though.

Oh no i know mate. It's good to have the options. They both give something different but do it really well.

Think he played really well. Kept the forward momentum going and having two midfielders who could pick an incisive pass meant Barkley wasn't just crowded out. Probably the best team midfield performance I've seen from us this season.

I'd agree with that in terms of the passing. McCarthy has shown a passing ability at times, but there is no question that Cleverley is better on the ball - down to his United roots under Scholes and Giggs, I'd imagine.

I think we'll see him in most of our away games from now on when McCarthy returns - probably in a 'free' role down the left.

I'm going to start one of them crap twitter accounts, like "have we been sold yet?" which just say yes or no after each game.

Going to call it "Did Cleverley do a job?"

Coz that's all he does. A 90% player if ever there was one. Not good enough for our starting XI.

I remember seeing him a few years ago and thinking he was a bit too polite - not quite to the extent of Rodwell, but similar inasmuch as he had the tools but perhaps not quite the attitude to get stuck in. He's developed in this sense and is good enough to grow into an important player for us, one capable of operating in the 'Pienaar role' or deeper and more centrally.

He's intelligent on the ball, combative, hard-working and, you feel, can flourish in an in-form team. Good signing that gives us options and competition in more than one area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back