2018/19 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
But we aren’t the coaching team. He also took a yellow card to stop them breaking at pace, which everyone knows is a weakness for us right now which he should be praised for. But the focus on this one pass by some has made it as if he was awful and was our worst player. Because he isn’t as skilful as Bernard (who I’m a big fan of) he is getting criticised much more when Bernard’s pass actually led to a goal. We forced Barkley out, we forced stones out, let’s not do it again.
To be fair Bernard's pass was at an awkward height and he was under pressure and about 70 yards from our goal and was followed by Kenny making about 3 defensive errors to allow Pereira to score whereas Davies's was an unforced misplaced pass on the edge of his own box when he had easy open options. That pass was the only proper blotch on his performance on Saturday though and he'll benefit if we carry on with the system we used against Leicester. People are definitely too harsh on Davies, especially at Goodison. At the beginning he was being applauded for every pass and tackle whereas now he gets screamed at for every misplaced pass - exactly what happened with Barkley.

Apart from scoring, being a constant threat, and winning 2 fouls which led to a sending off, allowing us to take control of the game and win it, what have the Romans ever done for us?
Just thought he wasn't on it, that's all, thought he was a bit wasteful at times. Maybe because he's set such high standards in previous games? He's obviously an amazing player.

Just thought he wasn't on it, that's all, thought he was a bit wasteful at times. Maybe because he's set such high standards in previous games? He's obviously an amazing player.
No I know what you mean mate, I was just being facetious. It's nice to have players who can still make a big impact when not at their very best. I only saw bits of the game on Saturday so I can't really comment on anyone's performance to be honest.

You are just so far wrong...

Tom Davies is improving all the time & has the potential to become a vital part of the resurgence of Everton football club...

Future Full England international this lad in my opinion within three years I would guess....

Come back in three years time & let me know your thoughts...

I hope you are right mate, I really do. But from what I have seen, I think you are being massively over expectant of him.

To be fair Bernard's pass was at an awkward height and he was under pressure and about 70 yards from our goal and was followed by Kenny making about 3 defensive errors to allow Pereira to score whereas Davies's was an unforced misplaced pass on the edge of his own box when he had easy open options. That pass was the only proper blotch on his performance on Saturday though and he'll benefit if we carry on with the system we used against Leicester. People are definitely too harsh on Davies, especially at Goodison. At the beginning he was being applauded for every pass and tackle whereas now he gets screamed at for every misplaced pass - exactly what happened with Barkley.

I agree. But think it’s unfair on davies to focus on one pass that didn’t lead to a goal. He will learn from it. People have to bear in mind that the other option is schneiderlin right now who only passes sideways, doesn’t care about what happens and hogs around the pitch. Tom passes forward (and the stats have shown his accuracy is good), he puts everything in to it, and is showing aggression and cleverness (made some great physical tackles and knew exactly when to stop them breaking). I also prefer him over Barkley, prefer him as a footballer.

What does this lad actually do? Get out the squad.
Should probably just stick to playing football on Bold Street.
If he wasn’t from Liverpool and came through our academy, he would have been shipped off by now.
He’ll be in the Championship within two seasons.
You make out it’s a personal vendetta against Tom Davies, it isn’t.
He’s been poor-to-average in the three seasons he’s been playing now. I can’t see much changing this season.
There are plenty of players I like at Everton, all of them a million times better than Tom Davies.
the only games I’ve sat there and thought Davies had a bit about him was his first game vs. Norwich and the City game. After that, I’m struggling to remember anything worthwhile that he has done.
Woeful. Honestly one of the worst players I’ve seen in an Everton shirt.
Noodle head gets a pass because he’s from Liverpool, supports Everton and came through our academy. That’s enough for some. Doesn’t take away from the fact he’s terrible at football.
He’s terrible, isn’t he?
One of the worst players I’ve ever seen in an Everton shirt.
I still think he’ll start tomorrow. Though, thankfully Gana covers him so we don’t see just how bad he is.
He hasn’t progressed under Silva, he hasn’t progressed under any manager since being brought into the first team.
as soon as Gomes is fit, Davies needs the boot. Terrible player.

But no, no agenda here... :coffee:

My basis for not rating Davies is because he misplaces a lot of his passes, he hits the ball full pelt at one of our players, attempting a pass, when they’re under pressure, he doesn’t score, he doesn’t assist, what is it he actually does well?

Okay, here they are for all of PL games he has played in this season (I've added the team rank for our side into the brackets so it can show how he compared to others)

Fulham
Passes - 45 (#2)
Passing accuracy - 88.9% (#3)
Passes in opposition half - 25 (#3)
Accuracy in opposition half - 84% (#4)
Total crosses - 0
Good crosses - 0
Open play crosses - 0
Good open play crosses - 0

Arsenal
Passes - 37 (#2)
Accuracy - 67.6% (#10)
Passes in opposition half - 27 (#2)
Accuracy in opposition half - 70.4% (#8)
Total crosses - 1
Good crosses - 1
Open play crosses - 1
Good open play crosses - 1

Huddersfield
Passes - 58 (#4)
Accuracy - 89.7% (#3)
Passes in opposition half - 34 (#3)
Accuracy in opposition half - 85.3% (#4)
Total crosses - 1
Good crosses - 0
Open play crosses - 1

Bournemouth
Passes - 48 (#2)
Accuracy - 70.8% (#11)
Passes in opposition half - 34 (#2)
Accuracy in opposition half - 64.7% (#12)
Total crosses - 0
Good crosses - 0
Open play crosses - 0

Southampton
Passes - 33 (#joint 5)
Accuracy - 87.9% (#2)
Passes in opposition half - 15 (#10)
Accuracy in opposition half - 80% (#4)
Total crosses - 1
Good crosses - 0
Open play crosses - 1

All of those stats are from Opta.

So, looking at that, in terms of his passing accuracy, his worst game was Bournemouth, with Arsenal after that. The rest, he's been pretty high up with his accuracy and amount of passes compared to the rest of the team.

Interesting, but then you’d expect your central midfielder to pass the ball.

Good back tracking ;)

What does this lad actually do? Get out the squad.
what is it he actually does well?

Also:
1539083009443.webp

But no, no agenda here... :coffee:

Good back tracking ;)

Also:
View attachment 50246
I’m a regular poster, Tom Davies’ performance have been a big talking point this season, of course you’re going to find my comments on him. I’m sure you’ll find good things I’ve said about him, when I thought he could become more than the terrible player he is now.

I’m a regular poster, Tom Davies’ performance have been a big talking point this season, of course you’re going to find my comments on him. I’m sure you’ll find good things I’ve said about him, when I thought he could become more than the terrible player he is now.

Not really no, pretty much uniformally negative (in this thread at least), aside from the two performances you mentioned. Funny how you've conveniently ignored the stats I posted, and once again labelled him 'terrible'. But sure, you're just commenting on him ;):coffee:

so who would you rather play? shniederlin?

You are just so far wrong...

Tom Davies is improving all the time & has the potential to become a vital part of the resurgence of Everton football club...

Future Full England international this lad in my opinion within three years I would guess....

Come back in three years time & let me know your thoughts...
Ha ha ha ha - he’s average

It's a good job there was no social media when we introduced players like Ratcliffe, Stevens, Steven and Heath into the squad. The 'I want it now' brigade would have hounded them out in no time. Whether Tom makes it is still unknown, but I've seen enough progress in his game this season, particularly at Arsenal, to suggest he's given the chance to develop. The prospect of having a local lad integral to our future can't be underestimated. I hope he has time to take his chance, and if so, he takes it.

it’s giving an opinion on a player. One who the majority don’t think is good enough. I’ll base that off the reaction he gets at Goodison, which is a good as an indication as any from the match going fans.

Another one trying to pin some blame on the fans. So bizarre.
People are definitely too harsh on Davies, especially at Goodison. At the beginning he was being applauded for every pass and tackle whereas now he gets screamed at for every misplaced pass - exactly what happened with Barkley.

I'd disagree with you both on this. The worst I hear from the crowd is exasperated groans when he loses the ball and the very very occasional "Koff Davies you knobhead" type shout. Lukaku got the same, does that mean the crowd agreed him not good enough too?

The idea that the crowd is to blame for heaping pressure on players needs putting to bed imo.
Goodison is pretty fair. If you do something good you get applause just for little things - decent cross field ball, strong tackle etc.
If you kill an attack, lose the ball or put us under pressure you get anxious frustration. It's not personal and it's a judgment on that particular moment, not an opinion on a player's overall worth. If a player's going to let this affect them negatively then they probably don't have the mentality to compete at the very top level and need to develop more self belief, determination and a thicker skin.

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/2018/10/09/davies

Captain Davies Relishing Responsibility
e45ae7a120f3431aa4f260e58ae5dadc.gif

by Peter Lennox
@Everton09 October 2018 15:30

Tom Davies says he has relished the responsibility of being handed the Everton captaincy and insists Marco Silva is the ideal manager to help elevate his game further.

The 20-year-old Academy graduate became the Blues’ youngest ever starting skipper in the 3-1 Carabao Cup victory over Rotherham United on 29 August.

He has since led out the Toffees on three more occasions, including in the back-to-back Premier League victories over Fulham and Leicester City.

Davies has thrived on being given the armband, delivering a series of impressive all-round performances in the middle of the park.

His desire to take possession – even when under pressure in the high-octane, combative environment of a Premier League midfield battle – has caught the eye, especially against Leicester.

Davies is progressive and ambitious when on the ball, too, helping to launch Everton attacks. He made 21 accurate passes in the opposition half in the 2-1 success at the King Power Stadium on Saturday – a total bettered by only livewire left flank duo Lucas Digne and Bernard.

The England Under-21 international says he has been buoyed by being handed the captaincy by boss Silva and is convinced the Blues can build on their consecutive Premier League wins after the international break.

“It’s a big honour and I’m made up with it,” said Davies. “Being captain now is making me love it even more at Everton so I just want to continue doing what I’m doing.

“Results are starting to come and we’re playing well.

“If we keep that up, hopefully we can go up the table and keep progressing.”

Davies, who turned 20 just three months ago, was the youngest in the Toffees starting XI against Leicester.

Despite his tender years, Saturday’s appearance was his 77th in the Everton first team and his accomplished display suggests this is a rapidly-maturing footballer.

Not only did his sharp, incisive passing impress against the Foxes, Davies also showcased his capacity to help thwart opposition attacks and flourish as both sides fought for supremacy in midfield.

Davies recovered possession on seven occasions and came out on top in six of the seven duels he contested.

The West Derby-born youngster believes he is perfectly placed to play his best football yet in a blue shirt and is confident Silva’s philosophy can help him to prosper.

“The manager has got a good view of the game and he knows what he wants from his team and I can see myself fitting in that,” he said.

“It’s going well so far this season and I’m just looking forward to the rest of it.

“We’ve got a few games when we come back that we can really push on in and see how good we actually are.

“The lads are doing well. It was a good win away from home at the weekend and we’ll be looking to progress from that.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back