2022/23 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
…the ‘Tunnel Access’ video was a bit of an eye-opener for me where Davies is concerned. We all know the prankster with the dapper clothes but from the moment he steps off that bus he has his game face on. He was serious about his job.

In his own company on the pitch pre-match, oblivious to fans calling him as he went down the tunnel. This was a professional footballer focused on the challenge ahead. Gutted when he was withdrawn but still had the presence for a genuinely warmly exchange with Gueye replacing him.

The footage of him after the Palace game showed how much the club means to him but I now expect he’s going to slip down the pecking order considerably. Not sure we’ll see much more of him in the PL, perhaps he’ll start at Bournemouth.

Think he'll be 4th choice, 5th once Garner gets settled and up to speed mate, but think Lampard will trust him more than Doucoure or Allan, can see him being offered another year tbh.

Cup games, and injury cover, coming in later on to bring in fresh legs, reckon he'll feature in a lot of games still

Think he'll be 4th choice, 5th once Garner gets settled and up to speed mate, but think Lampard will trust him more than Doucoure or Allan, can see him being offered another year tbh.

Cup games, and injury cover, coming in later on to bring in fresh legs, reckon he'll feature in a lot of games still

….might depend on who needs replacing. Doucoure for Onana, Davies for Gueye. We’ll know more when his preferred 3 are established & he’s had an opportunity to assess Garner.

I’d certainly say Davies hasn’t looked as laboured this season, he’s often ‘heavy legged’ so might have got himself in good shape.

….might depend on who needs replacing. Doucoure for Onana, Davies for Gueye. We’ll know more when his preferred 3 are established & he’s had an opportunity to assess Garner.

I’d certainly say Davies hasn’t looked as laboured this season, he’s often ‘heavy legged’ so might have got himself in good shape.

I'll be very interested to see just how much the conditioning programs have changed at the club mate.

Was reading something on Gordon the other day, pre Lampard he actually did two outside of club intensive fitness/training programs.

Then the Iwobi blood test they did which showed how under capacity he was pushing himself - which I credit with the lads massive increase in work rate - they actually showed him medical results showing how much he was capable of, and the lad I feel got huge believe in himself after that.

We're seeing improvements across a variety of players - yes sone down to coaching - but others - I'm wondering if we are actually now doing individual programs tailored towards certain players much more, and also now wondering wtf we've been doing for years.

I'm pretty good at drawing a line under a player and judging them due the now, Iwobi went from get rid to essential, Davies is moving for me from shoot out a Cannon to an actual decent squad player.

Funny thing is, I think Kenny made a huge mistake now leaving, I wonder if he'd been better served staying as cover and self improvement like Davies has done.

About Lampards favoured three though.

I think it's not a case of like for like replacements.

I think it's a Onana, Iwobi, Gueye preferred three BUT in that both Onana and Gueye have the potential to be either the 6 or the 8, same as Garner dues too, Davies more an 8 same as Doucoure too, so you'll see if Onana or Gueye aren't playing the other slot into the number 6 role if Davies or Doucoure plays for example if Garner plays it opens up options as he can also play the 6/8 like Onana and Gueye can.

It's why I loved the recruitment in midfield, it's obviously been done with flexibility in mind

I think the physicality is a bit of an issue for him. In the last 2 games our opponents have increased their intensity in the 2nd half and in both games he started to fade once that happened IMO.

I'll be very interested to see just how much the conditioning programs have changed at the club mate.

Was reading something on Gordon the other day, pre Lampard he actually did two outside of club intensive fitness/training programs.

Then the Iwobi blood test they did which showed how under capacity he was pushing himself - which I credit with the lads massive increase in work rate - they actually showed him medical results showing how much he was capable of, and the lad I feel got huge believe in himself after that.

We're seeing improvements across a variety of players - yes sone down to coaching - but others - I'm wondering if we are actually now doing individual programs tailored towards certain players much more, and also now wondering wtf we've been doing for years.

I'm pretty good at drawing a line under a player and judging them due the now, Iwobi went from get rid to essential, Davies is moving for me from shoot out a Cannon to an actual decent squad player.

Funny thing is, I think Kenny made a huge mistake now leaving, I wonder if he'd been better served staying as cover and self improvement like Davies has done.

About Lampards favoured three though.

I think it's not a case of like for like replacements.

I think it's a Onana, Iwobi, Gueye preferred three BUT in that both Onana and Gueye have the potential to be either the 6 or the 8, same as Garner dues too, Davies more an 8 same as Doucoure too, so you'll see if Onana or Gueye aren't playing the other slot into the number 6 role if Davies or Doucoure plays for example if Garner plays it opens up options as he can also play the 6/8 like Onana and Gueye can.

It's why I loved the recruitment in midfield, it's obviously been done with flexibility in mind

….good stuff, although I disagree about Kenny. Having watched him lots coming through the ranks, what he lacked in physicality and quality he made up for in attitude but that’s not enough at this level. He’s a terrific lad but we have to move away from sentiment & Lampard would have to give him a new engine to make a difference.

The situation is fine, Patterson transitioning from Coleman and maybe leaving a slot for Stan Mills to be next cab on the rank. I first suggested Moving Mills to full back about 18months ago & it’s happened. I had Mills ahead of Kenny last season, he’s a big powerful lad with wingers quality in possession, I can see him progressing under Lampard, especially learning from the likes of Tarkowski and Coady.

Contract ends in 2023. I think he’s a half decent reserve that we are better off keeping than selling for pennies in January, or leaving for free in the summer.

No amortisation, easily will get a new contract in my opinion, costs the club 3.12 mill a year for a first team option - gold dust - especially with the new rules coming in.

Is it the case that he's been on a gravy train for too long

Surely there's youth players worthy of the chance

Tom came through the academy though, to be honest he's not nearly as bad or as non-impactful as people make out.

For me he's really improved his anchoring midfield game initially under Carlo and seems to have continued it on with Frank, he always had the ability to break forward, the thing i like about Tom is his bravery he always shows to take the ball regardless of the pressure, thats not true of everyone.

In terms of who you are flipping for we have Warrington and Tyler probably the closest, but im not sure it has to be all or nothing and the two former are on developmental pathways elsewhere this season.

One thing that stands out for me is Tom, is every manager picks him, how many have we had and they all seem to see something in him and rate him, going all the way back to Koeman.

Which player would you say is the alternate to Davies (or ahead of him) in a midfield 2 or 3

I was thinking this is our best 2 at the moment Onana Iwobi (ahead of a back 5) and our best 3 is Iwobi Onana Gana (in a 4-3-3)
But if Davies is playing well, he could be the competition for Doucoure? Where do they both fit in? And Allan and Garner? I don't really know what type of player he is.

Nice to have 7 midfielders all of a decent standard at least!

Status
Not open for further replies.