Votes: 59 18.3%
  • Cheese On Toast

Votes: 64 19.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shibbywiggles

The minimum requirement is maximum effort
With all the focus at the moment being on unsavoury hatred from that lot about Pickford’s clumsy challenge I thought we needed a different topic so who else believes we can make the top 4 this season?

Five games into the season and we’re top of the league, won four and drawn one.
Long way to go and not enough time passed to judge it but here’s why I think with a bit of luck and without big injuries.

We’ve got a team who can beat anyone
Carlo Ancelotti is world class and has done it all
James Rodríguez is world class and has done it all
Digne, Allan, Richarlison, Doucoure, Keane are all top players in their position
DCL is a goal scoring machine
We have competition for places with even under-performers from last season looking ok (Sigurdsson/Iwobi)
We have some good looking youth to learn and challenge the first team (Gordon/Nkounkou/Godfrey)

Our challengers look ropey:
Spurs just threw away a 3 goal lead against West Ham and created very little against us
Liverpool got smashed by Villa and don’t have VVD now
Man U are still completely inconsistent and got beat by Palace who we beat
Chelsea drew with WBA who we beat (and they nearly lost) and then threw away a lead against Southampton today
Arsenal look better this season and there’s no shame in losing to City and Liverpool but we got a point against Liverpool
City will probably win the league but got smashed by Leicester
Leicester lost to West Ham 3-0 who we beat in the cup (not like for like granted but 3-0 to West Ham is never good!

So, point is, so far we’re the most consistent performers whilst everyone else has been erratic. What do you think?

I'll come back to you after these next 3 games.

Without Richarlison it will be a test of how well we can cope without one of our main attacking players out as defensively (mainly Pickford & Mina) we havent been great and in a few games we've had to score a good 4+ goals to ensure we put the game to bed.

If we can take atleast 7 points out of these next 3 going into the international break and avoid any big injuries we have a massive chance going into a hectic December to really open up a gap between us and a few others.

This is a golden opportunity for us.

We have a fantastically talented front three. We've strengthened in other key positions. And we don't have the distraction of European football.

Next summer top clubs will be lining up to sign Richarlison and Calvert-Lewin. Unless we're in the CL, it could be very difficult to keep them both.

I think top 4 is a realistic aim. We've got no reason to fear anyone with the team that we have. Two big problems - (a) Pickford, and (b) we don't have the same squad depth as our rivals. The lack of cover for Calvert Lewin is a worry for us all. As I recall, Leicester were very lucky with injuries when they won the league, we'll have to hope that a certain amount of luck goes our way.

It's going to be a tough season for teams, nobody had a good enough break between seasons.
I wonder if we have enough depth in the squad compared to the usual suspects once winter kicks in and we get suspensions (eg Richarlison for the next 3 games)
We will drop points because of tiredness and lack of decent replacements.
Still think we will have a good season though.

We have an excellent chance and can only blame ourselves if we fail to challenge significantly.

oh wait, we might be looking at 10 pts drop because of jittery Jordan.

Status
Not open for further replies.