Transfer Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neiler

Player Valuation: £100m
Rumours abound over the past few days linking us with Kightley of Wolves, gera and koumas at Wba and strangely Luque of newcastle.

Intrestingly though a lot of sources linking us with Steve Sidwell. Apparrently us and Villa have shown the most intrest and if we qualify for Europe we could be holding the winning ticket.

What do people think:

If he is on a free should we be in for him?

Are people happy to take him as:

Possible replacement for Cars?

Cover if we keep Fenrnades?

Myself id add him to the squad, as cover in Midfield as he seems versatile enough to play an attacking and defensive role. Would like him as cover for fernandes though and not as alternitve. For me, though i think hes great, i can see the sense in replacing Cars for a younger palyer of potential. Or keep all if we make Europe!

http://www.fansfc.com/evertonfootballclub/news.asp?newsid=163949

Last edited:
sidwell is on a free in the summer isn't he? would be a brilliant move even if at the moment he is cover.

I don't see the point of him personally. Defensively we should be fine in midfield with Fernandes and Neville. Then in attack we have Cahill, Arteta and Osman who can play in the middle. What we don't have is wide players of quality.

True Bruce, and personaly i would see width as a priority. But i think there are many advantages why the club may look at it.

1) Hes on a free so the outlay would be a singing on fee and wages, i know that a lot of money these days but the potential resell value considering his age would make it good investment in a buisness sense.

2) I think he offers versatility that we have lacked in terms of injuries suspensions and loss of form. i say this as anytime i have seen him this season he seems competent in a defensive, creative and scoring sense. meaning he could potentialy cover both the Cahill and carsley role.

3) I think over the past two seasons we have missed key midfielders and have been found wanting when we have had to change it around i.e carsley last year and as seems likely Cahill this year. I think their needs to be an empahsis on sqaud depth and given our financial constraints can we as a club really afford not to go for a player of that potential on a free.

4) Finaly if we qualify for europe we will need a bigger rotatable squad to deal with the games coming thick and fast and a player of his potential on a free may fit the bill to slot in. While he could prove to be good enough that he may be always be in the starting elevan.

As i say i dont beleive that cenral midfield is a priority nor would i like to see him here as a cheap alternitive to fernades but i can see the sense in it if the oppurtunity to sign him came to pass.

Last edited:
Ive said it before, sign him. He would improve the squad and could be a direct replacement for Carsley. As long as he's not on something like 70k a week. If he's looking for that then [Poor language removed] em off.

im not sure cars will be with us next season, sidwell has shown his versatility and so would be a worthy player to include in the rotation for games, i think manny is a great footballer, but am not so sure on his defensive qualities, he can tackle and pass and thats great but he isnt quite the makalele or hargreaves just yet. that said neither is sidwell, so we could still be in a quandry.

sign him if possible (sidwell) but not at the expense of other more pressing areas of weakness.

Bruce, and I've said this before, you simply cant look at it that way. If we get into Europe we will be playin what, 10, 15 more games a season? You think we wont need to rotate, to have backup players, to give players a rest? It is essential we strengthen in every area, especially if we get into Europe. Sidwell on a free is far too good to turn down, especially as you noted Phil Neville as an advantage to us in midfield - his distribution is pathetic!

Bruce, and I've said this before, you simply cant look at it that way. If we get into Europe we will be playin what, 10, 15 more games a season? You think we wont need to rotate, to have backup players, to give players a rest? It is essential we strengthen in every area, especially if we get into Europe. Sidwell on a free is far too good to turn down, especially as you noted Phil Neville as an advantage to us in midfield - his distribution is pathetic!

Great minds as always RBJ, it is vital we have cover in all areas, to just paper over the cracks is stupidity:dodgy:

too many weaknesses, too little cash to shore up the positions.

quality not quantity, get manny on the books then we must must must find a solution to the left midfield spot, either solid player or wide player i dont care which.

fernandes wont cost 12 million, benfica were taking the piss with pompey over that hence the clause.

the problem with him is his contract is co-owned, so signing him will mean appeasing two different parties.

In theory I agree but suggesting a play arrives for free ignores the wages they are paid, and Sidwell would probably cost a good £1-2 million a year in wages. So yes, he'd be lovely to have but our wide midfield is in far more serious need for players as with Kilbane and Davies gone already and VDM being VDM we are really short here. Therefore I can't see us adding a player to the middle when we already have a large number of experienced pros there.

If the wings were in better shape then by all means upgrade Carsley for Sidwell, but unfortunately they're not and we probably won't have the cash to spend once we've signed Howard, Fernandes, a new centre back, a new wide player, Nugent (?).

Appears both Carsley and Stubbs staying for another year maintains some experience for Moyes to fall back on but hardly signals great ambition but is probably indicative of the lack of funds.

Im unsure on Cars, he might move on in the summer to be closer to his family in birmingham, he said he wanted to give the club this season then it was 'all square' or words to that effect.

definatley keep stubbs, even if he doesnt play, his experience and attitude will help and focus others. maybe we could lend him archies baseball bat too and set him on a few of our players.

Celtic striker Kenny Miller is being linked with us today, ( Daily Mirror )

He moved to the hoops on a Bosman from Wolves, been there 12 months.

Moyes went to see him play in the old firm derby last sunday, and apparently thinks he would be an ideal squad player or potential attack partner for AJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back