Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had this Ospina rumour got legs? Would love it if he came in. Of course I'm basing that off of having had him in on previous FM... :o

You've got a short memory, mate. Howard single-handedly cost us a bucket-load of points last season. Remember Crystal Palace?

My main memory from last year was the slow ponderous sideways build up of our attacking play. We left so many points behind us because we couldn't break down poor teams.

Howard wasn't great last season, but before Christmas which defender or midfielder was ?
The midfield and defence were very poor and if you put Courtois in goals he would have shipped goals as well, maybe not as many perhaps.

We have far greater needs than spending money on a keeper imo.

My main memory from last year was the slow ponderous sideways build up of our attacking play. We left so many points behind us because we couldn't break down poor teams.

Howard wasn't great last season, but before Christmas which defender or midfielder was ?
The midfield and defence were very poor and if you put Courtois in goals he would have shipped goals as well, maybe not as many perhaps.

we would still score 1 goal at least in those games though and would have been enough to win games. you look at spurs where we were tootally dominant 1-0 up and he made a howler to change the game and then another howlers just minutes later to turn a 1-0 win into a 2-1 defeat. you look at games vs palace where we scored 2 which should have been enough, but he basically scored 3 OG's. we obviously need a play maker but that guy can see us scoring 2 or 3 per game and it still may not be enough.

Bobby and Bill probably think so as well, but then there's the opportunity.
if someone for any position became available and he was within budget (if we sold Tim we'd probably get a similar amount from the States), wouldn't you expect them to jump at the opportunity?

He's not a priority but he is an unexpected opportunity.

It doesn't depend on that. Even if those players don't improve that team would still finish no worse than mid-table like last season so in other words we wouldn't get relegated. The sales would fund the replacement. If we where to sell any of those players we would be making a profit on them. There's no reason we couldn't simply replace like for like. Moyes did it for 10 years while gradually improving the team.

There's players like Ryan Ledson coming through and probably one or two others that might make it plus I'm sure we'll continue to pick up the odd free transfer here and there.

We might slip down a few league positions but it could be manageable.

but what would be the end result of that? It would widen the gap to the top which is the opposite of what we need to do. As you say wages are going up so us selling a player on 40 grand, his replacment would ask for more than that which in turn mean we are either increasing the wage bill or finding a lower wage (and lower quality) replacement which weakens the team.

moyes didnt replace like for like, not too sure where you got that from. He swapped arteta for noone, rooney for beatte, lescott for 3 players (only one of them was a long term success) , swapped rodwell for 2 players (only one was kept). Martinez in all credit has built the squad up on a little budget and for that he has done wonders in that department. But would we have signed del if we hadnt loaned him? same as lukaku, never would have signed him if we didnt loan him first. without them we would have had kone and mcgeady as first choice instead, a much poorer team.

Ask anyone on here, we sell to buy constantly and we will drop down the league, no actual investment into the squad and the quality will dwindle to the point where we rely on players to come good again after signing rather than developing players to take us the enxt level. We finish top 7 and challenge for europe, martinez is proving to be right for the club, we drop away and he isnt, either way i stand by his investments in the team.

nothing's going to happen whilst we're in asia anyway. managers can't arrange a pre-season trip away and just fly away from the first team to go and talk to another player.

As the proud owner of manly beard, I can safely say that it does nothing to make me warm to Howard. In fact, it just makes him look like his head is on upside-down.

Though maybe if he had some of it transplanted onto his shiny bald head, he'd finally have the confidence to come out for crosses.

Is it luxuriant and dark, or straggly and ginger like mine?

I bet you've gone proper beard hipster these days.

we would still score 1 goal at least in those games though and would have been enough to win games. you look at spurs where we were tootally dominant 1-0 up and he made a howler to change the game and then another howlers just minutes later to turn a 1-0 win into a 2-1 defeat. you look at games vs palace where we scored 2 which should have been enough, but he basically scored 3 OG's. we obviously need a play maker but that guy can see us scoring 2 or 3 per game and it still may not be enough.
That Spurs game was huge. We still has a chance of getting the top 4 :) if we won that game. We had built up a bit of momentum, Ross was back but after that we just fell apart.

That game was probably the 2nd biggest game of the season after Kiev.

Is it luxuriant and dark, or straggly and ginger like mine?

I bet you've gone proper beard hipster these days.

Dark as the night and thick as fog. If you could make a beard out of a Stephen King novel, it'd be mine.

Annoying I had a beard before this hipster beard thing set in, which was unfortunate timing really; given everything else about me, I am probably indistinguishable from most hipsters. Though I maintain you can't really belong to any aesthetic movement when you buy all your clothes by going on ebay and clicking sort by "Price + P&P Lowest First".

Aaahhh you're not one of those freaks who wears a coat in July are you?

I do, but to be fair, there's absolutely nothing under it.

but what would be the end result of that? It would widen the gap to the top which is the opposite of what we need to do. As you say wages are going up so us selling a player on 40 grand, his replacment would ask for more than that which in turn mean we are either increasing the wage bill or finding a lower wage (and lower quality) replacement which weakens the team.

moyes didnt replace like for like, not too sure where you got that from. He swapped arteta for noone, rooney for beatte, lescott for 3 players (only one of them was a long term success) , swapped rodwell for 2 players (only one was kept). Martinez in all credit has built the squad up on a little budget and for that he has done wonders in that department. But would we have signed del if we hadnt loaned him? same as lukaku, never would have signed him if we didnt loan him first. without them we would have had kone and mcgeady as first choice instead, a much poorer team.

Ask anyone on here, we sell to buy constantly and we will drop down the league, no actual investment into the squad and the quality will dwindle to the point where we rely on players to come good again after signing rather than developing players to take us the enxt level. We finish top 7 and challenge for europe, martinez is proving to be right for the club, we drop away and he isnt, either way i stand by his investments in the team.
The point would be a brand new stadium that could probably come close to doubling our revenue and allow us to compete financially with at least the likes of West Ham, Spurs and Liverpool.

If we sold a player on 40K, then we would buy a younger player to replace him. Younger players cost less money in both wages and transfer fees. As I said Moyes did it for 10 years, maybe not within one window but through a couple of windows. It's not a new thing for us. We just shouldn't invest the extra money we have now on a gamble of breaking into the top 4 when we could go for the certainty of a new stadium.

Wenger has built Arsenal into a European power house. You would have been one of the fans calling for his head. Seriously think about it.

Although we need to do one or the other and commit to it. If we're going to invest in the team, get a loan for all the money and do it all now in one window and lets have a right go because the gap will just increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back