Two CDMs at home against the lesser teams?

Two CDMs every game?

• Yes

• No

• Cheese On Toast

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shibbywiggles

The minimum requirement is maximum effort
After every game in recent memory where we've failed to break down a stubborn defence the question was always asked 'why do we play with two defensive midfielders every game?'.

It seems only fair that after 10 goals in the last two home matches with Barry and McCarthy playing both we ask the question again.

In my opinion two CDMs give the front four security to do what they want and not worry as much about defending as well as filling in for our full back when they overlap and if we're not breaking teams down that does not fall on them as responsible.

Your thoughts GOT?

Difficult fixtures = Play both as a standard
Away medium difficulty fixtures = Play both I'd say as we're still quite an open team and don't need anymore easy shots at Howard.
"Easy" fixtures = I'd like to use these matches as a way to experiment of sorts with players' roles i.e. trying Ross as one of the two "defensive" midfielders.

I know it can be frustrating seeing us play 4-2-3-1 against Real Madrid then the same against Newport County but it's Martinez's preferred formation and the one the team looks most comfortable playing. To be fair I'd say about 95% of teams in the top leagues play this formation now. It's the new 4-4-2 of the 90's.

Barry sat really deep and allowed Macca to get forward much more.
Almost a CB at times was Barry, particularly when we had possession.

McCarthy isnt playing as a defensive midfielder and hasn't been for a long time.

This

McCarthy's role differs from game to game, people see his name and Barry's on the team sheet and assume it's two defensive midfielders when in reality that's only true some of the time. In other games he's given license to attack. Our first goal on Saturday owed a lot to him breaking forward and flicking a clever ball with the outside of his foot whilst under pressure on the edge of the box out to Ged

I don't think he's been in great form relative to the last couple of seasons but his flexibility gives us the ability to change our shape with a little bit of subtlety, something I think gets missed a lot of the time and it's just labelled "negative" with two defensive midfielders.

When Baines gets back, I think he and Barry playing together will become even more important

Barry sat really deep and allowed Macca to get forward much more.
Almost a CB at times was Barry, particularly when we had possession.

Definitely. I mentioned this a few weeks back, Barry is a lot more deeper than usual and we are almost playing with a back 3. That was McCarthys best game for a while imo on Saturday as he's been well below par for the majority of the season. Looked a lot more confident on got up and down on Saturday.

I used to think no, but as people have mentioned McCarthy is a bit more advanced these days. Plus we've scored 10 goals in the last 2 games against the 'lesser' teams.

Some things just aren't worth worrying about.
Yeah it's really not worth worrying about, seemed fair to bring it up after successes though as it's always brought up after a bad spell.

After every game in recent memory where we've failed to break down a stubborn defence the question was always asked 'why do we play with two defensive midfielders every game?'.

It seems only fair that after 10 goals in the last two home matches with Barry and McCarthy playing both we ask the question again.

In my opinion two CDMs give the front four security to do what they want and not worry as much about defending as well as filling in for our full back when they overlap and if we're not breaking teams down that does not fall on them as responsible.

Your thoughts GOT?
we don't to a great extent.
We do in as much as when the opposition is in possession we have them (which is sensible considering our LB and RB are usually in front of them on the pitch) but McCarthy is definitely being pushed forward when he game allows.
It's much more fluid than you give credit for.

Status
Not open for further replies.