Wanting Success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched these two in awe, one as player one as manager.

This national hunt doesn't deserve mentioning in the same breath. No way on Earth do I sit back and think he's worth a spot in our side. Never.
But apparently if you saw the above-mentioned greats playing you are happy for him to laze about and you cry about people criticising him, and its therefore your fault that we haven't won anything for years...

But apparently if you saw the above-mentioned greats playing you are happy for him to laze about and you cry about people criticising him, and its therefore your fault that we haven't won anything for years...

People shouldn’t just accept mediocrity, mate.

The likes of Jagielka, Bolasie and Coleman might do alright in terms of finishing 7th but will never push us on or win us a trophy. We should be making it clear to the club that that isn’t acceptable.

People shouldn’t just accept mediocrity, mate.

The likes of Jagielka, Bolasie and Coleman might do alright in terms of finishing 7th but will never push us on or win us a trophy. We should be making it clear to the club that that isn’t acceptable.
No they shouldn't.

But your contention that it is age related is quite frankly rubbish.

If anything, those who saw the players you mentioned playing are less prone to accept mediocrity than those of a younger vintage. Some of the worst abuse against our own players is dished out by older fans. You can witness this at every game.

This mentality took root in the Moyes era. He, with the connivance of the board, re-drew the boundaries between success and failure and what our horizons should be.

He might have steadied a ship in his first few seasons, but he was an absolute plague of locusts on Everton in terms of ambitions.

Just got back from work and started to read this thread.
This post is utter rubbish, in my opinion, although I respect that everyone has their right to an opinion.
Have you forgotten the financial constraints that we were operating in at that time ?
Those horizons were actually a fact.
Moyes saved us, and moved us to a different level, with no financial backing.
Moshiri, who you also seem to criticise to an extreme degree, has backed up his words with the required money. It's the fact that it has been wasted by others that is the crux.
You don't seem to post very much positive, and this is illustrative of your general theme.
Then again, why let the facts get in the way.
We should simply have just gone and bought Messi etc. and we would be back in our rightful position.

I saw a photo recently somewhere of Walsh and Shakespeare each holding a handle of the PL trophy after Leicester amazed everybody by winning it. If I am right in assuming that from that huge achievement they must know what it takes to break in to the top 4 without an Abramovich owner, therefore they must be given the time to help change our club mentality, and push us to a challenging position. Many might agree, but not with Allardyce. The majority of Blues in the pub tonight are convinced that Everton have no intention of keeping Sam after this season. He goes with a big pay off having "saved us from relegation".

I saw a photo recently somewhere of Walsh and Shakespeare each holding a handle of the PL trophy after Leicester amazed everybody by winning it. If I am right in assuming that from that huge achievement they must know what it takes to break in to the top 4 without an Abramovich owner, therefore they must be given the time to help change our club mentality, and push us to a challenging position. Many might agree, but not with Allardyce. The majority of Blues in the pub tonight are convinced that Everton have no intention of keeping Sam after this season. He goes with a big pay off having "saved us from relegation".
The BFS saw Everton right in his sweet spot and swept in.. we’re not really the biggest club he’s ever managed, we are the biggest club he’s ever saved, sorry screwed! He has made a living out of telling stumbling giants that they are falling straight to relegation and then “saving” them before they fall. He could not resist Everton in that moment and we duly paid up like true no marks. Give him the money and send him away the mountebank charlatan.

Just got back from work and started to read this thread.
This post is utter rubbish, in my opinion, although I respect that everyone has their right to an opinion.
Have you forgotten the financial constraints that we were operating in at that time ?
Those horizons were actually a fact.
Martinez's first season here he had a negative net spend of £13M in the summer and got us to 5th playing better football than Moyes managed in 11 years of mediocrity.

Moyes saved us, and moved us to a different level, with no financial backing.
Wrong, and a fallacy I've nailed here a number of times. From 2009 onward the purse strings were tightened. Moyes had a net spend every season between his first full season in 2002/03 to season 2008/09 (with the exception of season 2004/05 when Rooney was sold). In that period he had a net spend of £36M. Not enormous, but as good as any teams outside the top 4/5 in the period.

"Moyes operating on a poor budget in the whole time he was here" is one of the greatest lies/misconceptions* peddled on Everton forums.

*delete as appropriate.

Moshiri, who you also seem to criticise to an extreme degree, has backed up his words with the required money. It's the fact that it has been wasted by others that is the crux.

He's spent nothing on Everton that he cant make a profit from: his shares and the ownership of Everton's debt which will be transferred to shares later. The club's squad spending since he arrived is covered by unusually enormous revenue from player sales and the massive hike in tv revenue.

Apart from all that etc....

I saw that. It's complicated. Some people gave Ranieri the credit because of his experience; others suggest that it was the team spirit developed under Nigel Pearson that drove them to the title. Who knows? (And I'm not suggesting either man for Everton.)

Moyes' average league placing was 7th/8th.

Nowhere.

The worst of him though (even worse than the dullard hoofball he had the country associate Everton with) was his insistence that we as a club were second rate and supporters shouldn't insist we be a success...a REAL success. He dumbed us down with his mate Kenwright and we still pay for their reign of mediocrity to this day.

I remembered this comment from you as I was watching an 'on this day' video on Twitter the other day of Everton 5 - 1 Hull. Some of the goals were fantastic, with backheels etc from Pienaar and Arteta, and great finishes from players like Donovan. I'm not sure where you get this 'dullard hoofball' myth from. We played some excellent football under Moyes. In that season when we hammered Hull 5-1, it was a poorer season by Moyes' standard as we finished 8th, yet the match report says:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/8549507.stm

"The victory - a sixth in succession at home - equals a club record in the Premier League and lifts the Toffees up to eighth, four points behind Aston Villa...The game was not as dramatic as Everton's recent home success against Chelsea and Manchester United but it is matches against the struggling sides that David Moyes' team must win if they are to qualify for Europe once again....

"Victor Anichebe crossed from the right to Steven Pienaar and a clever backheel fell perfectly for Arteta to pass home from 12 yards in style. Everything the Spaniard touched was turning to gold, and goals, and it was no surprise who inspired Everton's third after the break."

Convincing home victories against the poorer sides with some excellent football on display from flair players like Pienaar and Arteta who were both brought in by 'dullard' Moyes. Home wins against Chelsea and Man United. We're a long way from that these days thanks to the decline started by Roberto Martinez, where he turned Goodison from a fortress to an easy 3 points within one season of being here where we ended up with our worst home points total in our history.

Finishing 8th may not be anything to shout about, but i'd much rather be watching the dullard hoofball Moyes served up than what we're watching now.

I remembered this comment from you as I was watching an 'on this day' video on Twitter the other day of Everton 5 - 1 Hull. Some of the goals were fantastic, with backheels etc from Pienaar and Arteta, and great finishes from players like Donovan. I'm not sure where you get this 'dullard hoofball' myth from. We played some excellent football under Moyes. In that season when we hammered Hull 5-1, it was a poorer season by Moyes' standard as we finished 8th, yet the match report says:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/8549507.stm

"The victory - a sixth in succession at home - equals a club record in the Premier League and lifts the Toffees up to eighth, four points behind Aston Villa...The game was not as dramatic as Everton's recent home success against Chelsea and Manchester United but it is matches against the struggling sides that David Moyes' team must win if they are to qualify for Europe once again....

"Victor Anichebe crossed from the right to Steven Pienaar and a clever backheel fell perfectly for Arteta to pass home from 12 yards in style. Everything the Spaniard touched was turning to gold, and goals, and it was no surprise who inspired Everton's third after the break."

Convincing home victories against the poorer sides with some excellent football on display from flair players like Pienaar and Arteta who were both brought in by 'dullard' Moyes. Home wins against Chelsea and Man United. We're a long way from that these days thanks to the decline started by Roberto Martinez, where he turned Goodison from a fortress to an easy 3 points within one season of being here where we ended up with our worst home points total in our history.

Finishing 8th may not be anything to shout about, but i'd much rather be watching the dullard hoofball Moyes served up than what we're watching now.
Exceptions that prove the rule.

Come on mate, you're not seriously suggesting - against most people's experience - that Moyes was anything other than a manager who advocated a semi-agricultural style of play?

He was here 11 seasons and you'd struggle to fill a 15 minute youtube video with highlights of progressive attacking play.

He was just Sgt Major Moyes. An utter dullard who's now gone on to slaughter four more clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back