Wasted youth? Whats gone wrong...jack rodwell, jose baxter and victor anichebe....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether it’s wasted youth or tough and practical decisions made by the coaching staff, I’m not so sure. Without doubt we build up the attributes of our youth programme and I understand the frustration of how we view its success or otherwise if the criteria is based on making 50+ First Team appearances in our first team.

What goes unnoticed at times is the tough decisions made by the coaches of the talented youngsters of whom the decision is to let go - talented as hell and destined to make it as professional footballers - but not at Everton. Whether it’s Ledson, Walsh, Duffis, Griffiths, Henen, Hope, Long, Forshaw, Duffy, Bowler, Wallace etc......all with potential, but ultimately not considered good enough. In the vast majority of cases the management team get it right as to whether the potential is sufficient to offer a contract that’ll see the player genuinely offer an option in our first team. I take the obvious exception of Lundstrum ......he’s had a stellar season but his development has come through a long journey via Doncaster, Yeovil and Blackpool. When he was released it was five or six years ago and he hadn’t shown enough at that stage to suggest he’d do what he has this year.

I may be bucking the trend here, but I think the coaches have come a long way in making the wrong call.....perhaps fifteen years ago it was wrong to let Baines and Jagielka leave but when it comes to those players who made it to our Everton u23s ...it’s hard to say they have made the wrong decisions as to their future development. Where I think we have got it wrong is the speculative foreign purchases with a transfer fee and contract to match.....Taranshji, Mathias, Rodriguez etc. The youth domestic transfer ban hurts us, don’t forget that...for every Calvert Lewis or Coleman we have another twenty Garbutts, Junior’s and Sambou’s...it’s an incredibly tough area to claim any success in, but for me the calls on who are released and when can be as critical as those as who we decide to keep on....such as Coleman and DCL.

Thanks for the input and opinions guys. What I hate is seeing is our squads over the years is full of foreign squad players ( a lot right now) back in the 90’s squad players were lads progressing from the youth teams and were given a chance. Guys like kenny, dowell etc should be at Everton progressing. I don’t blame the club trying to keep up with the times, I blame the PL for the unlimited amount of imports aloud and it really needs addressing before we become over run by foreign players. Going back to my original post it does make me wonder if our treatment and development of young English talent is good enough or lacks the final touches to make it as it seems some of lads don’t reach potential

Thanks for the input and opinions guys. What I hate is seeing is our squads over the years is full of foreign squad players ( a lot right now) back in the 90’s squad players were lads progressing from the youth teams and were given a chance. Guys like kenny, dowell etc should be at Everton progressing. I don’t blame the club trying to keep up with the times, I blame the PL for the unlimited amount of imports aloud and it really needs addressing before we become over run by foreign players. Going back to my original post it does make me wonder if our treatment and development of young English talent is good enough or lacks the final touches to make it as it seems some of lads don’t reach potential

Build The Wall

Jack Rodwell was a very good youngster who was never able to develop because of injuries and a bad transfer to Man City.

Victor Anichebe was a very limited footballer who gave 100% a game, but became ineffective after a nasty injury against Newcastle.

Jose Baxter was a technically sound footballer, with zero footballing brain - and a complete inability to deal with pressure.

Jack Rodwell was a very good youngster who was never able to develop because of injuries and a bad transfer to Man City.

Victor Anichebe was a very limited footballer who gave 100% a game, but became ineffective after a nasty injury against Newcastle.

Jose Baxter was a technically sound footballer, with zero footballing brain - and a complete inability to deal with pressure.

Roswell 28 no club? I have to question players desire to play football these days, I mean take a pay cut and play the game again at a lower level if needed. What a waste at a age where you should be playing bossing it

Didn't Rodwell play centre-half for most of his time at youth level? I don't ever remember him playing there for the first team, but I suspect he would have been a better defender than midfielder.
I think a big problem for a lot of our youngsters coming through was that they came into poor teams, with no-one to guide them on the pitch and too much pressure in games. I always felt this was the case with Cadamarteri, who broke into our team around the time Owen started playing for Liverpool. Barkley wasn't bright enough, but suffered from a lack of good coaching, I think, from all his managers while he was here. I'd have liked to see him under Ancelotti. Jeffers was one who seemed to have the personality for the first team and, unlike Cadamarteri, he benefitted from being alongside Kevin Campbell and having someone like Don Hutchison with him. But he left too early. I'll always feel Rooney left too early, also. You can't argue against the career he had but, for me, Ferguson turned him into a world class ordinary player. He drained the mercury from him.
Ronaldo brilliance meant that rooney had to be a team player, he really needed to be the star of the show. He played his best games for England as an Everton player

It's also a numbers game - a bottle-neck of players from youth to the first team. Look at the age spread of all the first team squads. The youth teams are made up of a lot of players in a narrow age range with a whole new crop a year or two behind them. Being one of the best 11 at age 16 is not the same as being one of the best aged 18-36

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back