"Watch Classic Matches Again"

24 years ago today, a pretty forgettable 1-0 victory over Newcastle made famous only for it being the night Big Dunc was flogged to the Geordies. It apparently spread like widefire around Goodison he was off but I must have been the only person in the ground not to have known about it as it wasn't until the following morning I found out he'd been sold.

24 years ago. I feel old reading that

24 years ago. I feel old reading that
I remember that say so clearly , one thing I didn’t remember was hearing anut hung about duncan going, my uncle told me had but didn’t want to upset me coz I of how much I loved the big man. School was hard the next day telling Kopites that they were lying. I think him and speed going is where my dislike towards newcastle comes from.

Bad day for us,Christ some tackles flying in though and only Bally and Franny Lee booked ???

Quite refreshing. Blood and thunder no quarter given. Fast and ferocious. Looking forward mostly and none of the sideway passing along the backline for 5 minutes. Very little passing backwards and some cracking tackles. Throw ins done in seconds. Free kicks not taking 2 minutes to take. No rolling about unless taking a proper belt. Physicality gone from the game now and so much time wasted. That was 2 teams slugging it out and quite close in levels. Some great British players going for it. I miss it

My first match was a week later against Chelsea at home when we lost 2-1 so a bad week for us

Quite refreshing. Blood and thunder no quarter given. Fast and ferocious. Looking forward mostly and none of the sideway passing along the backline for 5 minutes. Very little passing backwards and some cracking tackles. Throw ins done in seconds. Free kicks not taking 2 minutes to take. No rolling about unless taking a proper belt. Physicality gone from the game now and so much time wasted. That was 2 teams slugging it out and quite close in levels. Some great British players going for it. I miss it
I watched it on Friday and thought it was a poor game myself, hardly any good football. Disappointed in both teams.

I watched it on Friday and thought it was a poor game myself, hardly any good football. Disappointed in both teams.
Agree it wasn't a great game nonetheless refreshing compared the the stop start game of today. Free kicks and throw ins dealt with promptly instead of players positioning themselves over free kicks like they are going for a 50yd rugby conversion. The tackles are brilliant and apart from Franny Lee no rolling about.
Majority of players running at other players and not stopping and passing back at every opportunity. More enjoyable to watch IMO

That was my impression being there. Both teams cancelled each other out.
Though Kendall was ablely replaced by Jackson we seemed in the last 15mins to mentally settle for a replay - and paid the price.

24 years ago today, a pretty forgettable 1-0 victory over Newcastle made famous only for it being the night Big Dunc was flogged to the Geordies. It apparently spread like widefire around Goodison he was off but I must have been the only person in the ground not to have known about it as it wasn't until the following morning I found out he'd been sold.

Remember that game... it was a dreadful insipid match... proper grim. The football was just so drab and unexciting!

My first match was a week later against Chelsea at home when we lost 2-1 so a bad week for us
I will watch that in full as I travelled to that game as a teenager & never seen the game got crushed to death nearly .....awful day ..

All
36 years ago today, two goals from Adrian Heath, and one from Paul Power on his first return to Maine Road, give us a comfortable 3-1 win at Man City on route to our last league title.

Power apparently got bollocked by Howard Kendall after the game for refusing to celebrate his goal!

makes me feel old,I remember being on those old platt lane bench seats!!