"Watch Classic Matches Again"

36 years ago today, two goals from Adrian Heath, and one from Paul Power on his first return to Maine Road, give us a comfortable 3-1 win at Man City on route to our last league title.

Power apparently got bollocked by Howard Kendall after the game for refusing to celebrate his goal!

Great memories of this, my first away game with schoolmates and first experience on a Happy Al's coach!!! Always felt Howard was harsh on Power for that, even though i prefer ex-players celebrating is they score against us. I was at Maine Road when Heath scored against us- he was made up and let the Everton fans know.

Great memories of this, my first away game with schoolmates and first experience on a Happy Al's coach!!! Always felt Howard was harsh on Power for that, even though i prefer ex-players celebrating is they score against us. I was at Maine Road when Heath scored against us- he was made up and let the Everton fans know.
Yeah,right in front of us,inchy got dogs abuse that day!!!

Yeah,right in front of us,inchy got dogs abuse that day!!!
He did and he let us know how happy he was. Good for him. He was given too much stick when things went wrong too often for me. I know the early days are well-documented (and talked about in Howards Way, for example) but even in 1988 he had an interview with Shoot magazine (or Match, one of the ones i read at the time) stating "My Everton Hell" as he felt he was so often made the scapegoat when we didn't win and the fans could be too harsh on him.

The stick he got from some boneheads was a real shame, as he was great in 86-87 and key to the title win when the forward line was basically "Heath & A.N. Other" (whether Sharp, Wilkinson or Clarke), to go with that he was really good in midfield filling in for Reidy in 85-86 so often (especially brilliant in the 6-1 win over Arsenal) and his goals/assists record BM (Before Marwood) in 84/85 is so impressive- something like 11 goals, 8 assists in 17 games, brilliant and was possibly emerging as our Star Man before the injury...not to mention two of the most famous goals ever scored (Oxford/Soton the season before). An underrated Everton great.

He did and he let us know how happy he was. Good for him. He was given too much stick when things went wrong too often for me. I know the early days are well-documented (and talked about in Howards Way, for example) but even in 1988 he had an interview with Shoot magazine (or Match, one of the ones i read at the time) stating "My Everton Hell" as he felt he was so often made the scapegoat when we didn't win and the fans could be too harsh on him.

The stick he got from some boneheads was a real shame, as he was great in 86-87 and key to the title win when the forward line was basically "Heath & A.N. Other" (whether Sharp, Wilkinson or Clarke), to go with that he was really good in midfield filling in for Reidy in 85-86 so often (especially brilliant in the 6-1 win over Arsenal) and his goals/assists record BM (Before Marwood) in 84/85 is so impressive- something like 11 goals, 8 assists in 17 games, brilliant and was possibly emerging as our Star Man before the injury...not to mention two of the most famous goals ever scored (Oxford/Soton the season before). An underrated Everton great.
i think this is on the money, there is a review of the 84/85 or 86/87 season, and Heath is all over it with goals, assists and generally being brilliant. Heath was very much an underrated player for us. We'd kill for someone of his ilk now... fantastic player...!!

i think this is on the money, there is a review of the 84/85 or 86/87 season, and Heath is all over it with goals, assists and generally being brilliant. Heath was very much an underrated player for us. We'd kill for someone of his ilk now... fantastic player...!!
So many great goals...some of my favourites (all from 86/87), seen before many times but always good to see again:

0:36 - an unstoppable volley, like a prime Scholes special

1:20 a beautiful glancing header (following great work by Sharp and a lovely ball by Langley)

2:07 the best of the lot, a great angled volley after Sheeds scoops it over the defence. Inchy is well inside his own half when Tricky has possession, then Sheeds waits until exactly the right moment to deliver.