Watched the Bayern semi-final from '85 on youtube last night...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newcastle 95 Quarter Finals.

I think I can vaguely remember the Bayern fans in the Park End side of the Top Balc?? But I could be wrong. I was around the halfway line of the Top Balcony but didn't take a great deal of notice of them.

I remember it being eerily quiet when they scored for about 10 seconds and seeing them celebrate. Then it was back to business ;)

I remember Man City being up in the TB for a League Cup game and there being 'incidents'.

I bought that match on VHS and a few years later i bought the DVD version.Even though you knew the result, im always overcome by this feeling that i can't describe when i watch it.Perhaps it's atmosphere.The sight of the old Gwladys Street and someone in the middle of the crowd in the street end waving an Irish flag.Then there was the sight of those happy kids hanging off the crush barrier.We should have had many more great european nights like that but it wasn't to be.My favourite anecdote about that match, was when an enraged Uli Hoeness yelled this is not football Mr Kendal.With the words eff and off coming back in reply from the Everton bench!

Of course when Howard saw our opponents in the final Rapid Vienna in a training session ahead of the final, he knew there and then that they had no chance.But he didn't bother telling the players that!I've watched that match many times saying to myself we are so far off having a night like that again.Now though it feels like nights like that one against Bayern Munich are just around the corner.After being in the wilderness for the past 30 years, wouldn't it be great to see this club enjoy an era of success even better than what we enjoyed in the mid 80's?I think just like Moses, after wandering the dessert for all these years our promised land is finally coming into view.That has to be the goal.Creating an Everton team that can be even more successful than the late great Howard Kendalls mid 80's side.

"and you can tell your grandchildren about this night..." listened to that over and over when I was younger. The noise behind him was amazing.

Clive was great that year, got attacked after commentating on the Trevor Steven goal at WHL lol
My pride and joy....
IMG_1678.webp
IMG_1679.webp

Great stories lads. Just what I was hoping for. Keep them coming. See a lot of lurkers posting in here too which is ace.

I bought that match on VHS and a few years later i bought the DVD version.Even though you knew the result, im always overcome by this feeling that i can't describe when i watch it.Perhaps it's atmosphere.The sight of the old Gwladys Street and someone in the middle of the crowd in the street end waving an Irish flag.Then there was the sight of those happy kids hanging off the crush barrier.We should have had many more great european nights like that but it wasn't to be.My favourite anecdote about that match, was when an enraged Uli Hoeness yelled this is not football Mr Kendal.With the words eff and off coming back in reply from the Everton bench!

Of course when Howard saw our opponents in the final Rapid Vienna in a training session ahead of the final, he knew there and then that they had no chance.But he didn't bother telling the players that!I've watched that match many times saying to myself we are so far off having a night like that again.Now though it feels like nights like that one against Bayern Munich are just around the corner.After being in the wilderness for the past 30 years, wouldn't it be great to see this club enjoy an era of success even better than what we enjoyed in the mid 80's?I think just like Moses, after wandering the dessert for all these years our promised land is finally coming into view.That has to be the goal.Creating an Everton team that can be even more successful than the late great Howard Kendalls mid 80's side.
It was Udo Lattek.

...I'd seen highlights before but found the entire broadcast. This was before my time (I'm old enough, I just wasn't an Evertonian at that age over here in the States yet).

Some thoughts:
  • The game is SO much different these days. Physically, players these days are so much more athletic. It's clear very few of them actually, you know, worked out much.
  • The game was much more physical though oddly. None of this falling over if you get within a yard of someone. It was refreshing to watch a match where the whistle didn't blow every 30 seconds for a foul.
  • Everton played like a pack of wolves then. Very quick, very aggressive, very much in synch. They seemed to move as one up and down the pitch.
  • Trevor Steven by all accounts was a fantastic footballer, but he had a nightmare of a game...right up until he scored the 3rd and final goal.
  • The second goal by Gray was an absolute howler by the Bayern keeper. He must thank God every day there was no social media then.
  • Andy Gray really was a tiger. I imagine many Evertonians were gutted when he was cast aside for Gary Lineker the following year. I would have fumed at the time, even though Lineker scored like a million goals in '86.
  • I'm surprised Goodison didn't fall down that night. The noise must have been incredible inside the stadium. I believe it was Martin Tyler doing the commentary, and he talked about the cacophony when the Blues took the lead in the game and the tie. It was 32 years ago and I wasn't even a supporter yet, and I was buzzing just watching it. And I knew the outcome!
  • I was surprised at how few names I recognized on the Bayern side. Lothar Matthäus is a very familiar name of course, but he was the only (West) German International for them at the time. I'm surprised the young lad Ludwig Kögl never really hit it big. I'd never heard of him, and a little research shows he only got two international caps, although he did score in a European final in '87.
  • Also I'm pretty sure Kendall didn't even use one sub! Was there only one sub available in those days?
If you were there, tell us all about it.
Did we win?
Edit. Beaten to it.

My dad had VHS' of the 85-87 seasons which I used to watch as about a 7/8 year old just as I was getting into football in the mid nineties. Strangely these scenes are what made me the evertonian I am today even though it happened a few years before I was born... weird! I've been well and truly screwed over since as we've won bugger all!!!

It was a fabulous atmosphere, absoluetly deafening and you could feel,the energy in the crowd like it was electricity. Never experienced anything like it before or since! I agree with you on the different styles, but even that game was soft compared to the decade earlier! Go onto YouTube and search for cup final 1970 and watch Chelsea versus Leeds. Possibly the most brutal game of football ever played! Most modern footballers would have fainted at the sight of the tackles flying in, and almost every player would have been banned and likely prosecuted! Even in a tiem when hard men, we re genuinely hard, it was a gruesome sight!

Too young to have been there, but I imagine the atmosphere for fiorentina home would have run it close. Different outcome though unfortunately. Gp was literally shaking that night.

...I'd seen highlights before but found the entire broadcast. This was before my time (I'm old enough, I just wasn't an Evertonian at that age over here in the States yet).

Some thoughts:
  • The game is SO much different these days. Physically, players these days are so much more athletic. It's clear very few of them actually, you know, worked out much.
  • The game was much more physical though oddly. None of this falling over if you get within a yard of someone. It was refreshing to watch a match where the whistle didn't blow every 30 seconds for a foul.
  • Everton played like a pack of wolves then. Very quick, very aggressive, very much in synch. They seemed to move as one up and down the pitch.
  • Trevor Steven by all accounts was a fantastic footballer, but he had a nightmare of a game...right up until he scored the 3rd and final goal.
  • The second goal by Gray was an absolute howler by the Bayern keeper. He must thank God every day there was no social media then.
  • Andy Gray really was a tiger. I imagine many Evertonians were gutted when he was cast aside for Gary Lineker the following year. I would have fumed at the time, even though Lineker scored like a million goals in '86.
  • I'm surprised Goodison didn't fall down that night. The noise must have been incredible inside the stadium. I believe it was Martin Tyler doing the commentary, and he talked about the cacophony when the Blues took the lead in the game and the tie. It was 32 years ago and I wasn't even a supporter yet, and I was buzzing just watching it. And I knew the outcome!
  • I was surprised at how few names I recognized on the Bayern side. Lothar Matthäus is a very familiar name of course, but he was the only (West) German International for them at the time. I'm surprised the young lad Ludwig Kögl never really hit it big. I'd never heard of him, and a little research shows he only got two international caps, although he did score in a European final in '87.
  • Also I'm pretty sure Kendall didn't even use one sub! Was there only one sub available in those days?
If you were there, tell us all about it.
What a team that was. Power, guile, craft, speed.
You say today players work out more - absolutely true. They work for the body beautiful, and can dance around a pitch like ballet dancers, kicking cushioned balloons that float and swerve making everybody look like zico. But that team in the 80s I would say, would batter the best team you could compile today. Ronaldo wouldn't get out of Van Den Hauwe's pocket, Messi wouldn't have a sniff against Ratcliffe's pace, tenacity and readership of the game. Neymar would he matched pace for pace by the athleticism of Stevens. Suarez, the snidey little cheat, would be cowering in his box away from Peter Reid after their first encounter.
It was a complete team, balanced, quick, swift of thought and true of footballing vision.

Yes modern Footballers are primed, but they break easily and don't react well to pain. By the second half, 80s Everton, who used to come out to kick off the first half already in a sweat from their warm up, with a fitness aimed at power, using balls filled with lead and used to playing on mud soaked pitches, would crush any modern team into dust.

I'm Sobbing at how beautiful, exciting, unpredictable football has, at the behest of cash and investment, become so dainty and tepid and, getting like wrestling sometimes, choreographed so that the favoured clubs get to the finals.

Too young to have been there, but I imagine the atmosphere for fiorentina home would have run it close. Different outcome though unfortunately. Gp was literally shaking that night.
That was a great night, but mentally we were still in knife to a gunfight mode, against Bayern we had a nuke mate, we were never going to lose, they would all have died before they would have let that happen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back