Watched the Bayern semi-final from '85 on youtube last night...

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a team that was. Power, guile, craft, speed.
You say today players work out more - absolutely true. They work for the body beautiful, and can dance around a pitch like ballet dancers, kicking cushioned balloons that float and swerve making everybody look like zico. But that team in the 80s I would say, would batter the best team you could compile today. Ronaldo wouldn't get out of Van Den Hauwe's pocket, Messi wouldn't have a sniff against Ratcliffe's pace, tenacity and readership of the game. Neymar would he matched pace for pace by the athleticism of Stevens. Suarez, the snidey little cheat, would be cowering in his box away from Peter Reid after their first encounter.
It was a complete team, balanced, quick, swift of thought and true of footballing vision.

Yes modern Footballers are primed, but they break easily and don't react well to pain. By the second half, 80s Everton, who used to come out to kick off the first half already in a sweat from their warm up, with a fitness aimed at power, using balls filled with lead and used to playing on mud soaked pitches, would crush any modern team into dust.

I'm Sobbing at how beautiful, exciting, unpredictable football has, at the behest of cash and investment, become so dainty and tepid and, getting like wrestling sometimes, choreographed so that the favoured clubs get to the finals.
Testify brother!

I've got that too but I got most of the autographs from the 85/6 squad as that was when I bought it (including Lineker).
I had to go to WH Smith on church street during the summer holiday. Queued up for about 4 hours and by the time I got in the shop, the players who were there had cleared off. I recognise Gary Stevens and Peter Reid's autograph, but not sure about the others. I'm not even sure if they were actually there that day.
I got the train home and nearly crushed it as I had it clutched to my chest all the way.

Never seen queues so big around the ground before that night. We all realised the winner of this tie, would most likely go on to win it. Lother Mattius and Soren Lerby were really class acts in midfield. But the player who caught my eye for them that night was the left winger kogl who looked a real player.
Kendall famously stated that the street end sucked the ball in the net was so true. If ever a match summed up how a crowd can influence the game it was this one. It was an unforgettable atmosphere, the only match that could come close in my memory for atmosphere was the Ferguson header the night we beat united.
When goodison is like that, there is no place like it. Let's hope we've got some great European nights to look forward to this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back