Match Thread West Brom vs Everton. Mon, 28 Sep, 20:00 The Hawthorns, West Bromwich

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 28206
  • Start date Start date

WBA v Everton

• Everton

Votes: 242 79.9%
  • WBA

Votes: 21 6.9%
  • Cheese on wedding cake

Votes: 40 13.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...says-the-evertonian-now-playing-a6668736.html

Apologies if this has already been posted, not sure if it belongs here or not but a good interview with Callum McManaman. Talks about still going the game and hating Liverpool.

good read that

really surprised martinez didnt go in for him when he first came to everton, maybe he knew he was a handy player for wigan but not good enough for everton.

then again he did bring kone and alcaraz with him

good read that

really surprised martinez didnt go in for him when he first came to everton, maybe he knew he was a handy player for wigan but not good enough for everton.

then again he did bring kone and alcaraz with him

I've always liked the idea of bringing in boyhood blues but in reality he probably wasn't quite good enough

Getting 60 odd points in a season where the squad is being restructured is very decent. Do that playing attacking football is all we can ask for right now.

Crazy logic. In what way is the squad being restructured? It's been gradually transformed ever since 2009. Best of the rest wasn't good enough under Moyes so I don't see why it should be under Martinez especially as we have the financial condition to keep our better players now.

We haven't been consistent at home for a season and a half now. That pattern hasn't changed in the three games we've had, indeed home and away we've been inconsistent in this little stretch. Two outstanding performances, some ok, two poor ones.

My original point was that a draw v WBA should not be settled for. We'll be behind what are in my opinion two poorer sides in Liverpool and Spurs. If people want to argue that a draw is good for our top 4 aspirations and finishing mid 60 points is somehow better under Martinez than under Moyes then I'd love to hear it.

We've started well (as I said) and I'd love Martinez to rattle off a string of wins, but the evidence of Everton over the last ten years shows a side that draws too many when opportunity knocks. That is the point I'm making. Realist or negative moaner is entirely for you to decide.

We're past the restructuring phase, aren't we? This is a truly Martinez team, no Europa or other distractions with a fairly decent first 11. By all rights, we should be hoping for a trophy in the next 2 or 3 seasons.
The bringing through of a number of young players necessitates time.

A trophy would be the aim, yes.

i never thought you would pull the neville/moyes lowering of expectations trick Dave, we should be beating these brummie muppets
They thought 10th was a good finishing spot. I'm saying that we have to see 5th/6th, the nabbing of a cup and playing good football as the objective. Moyes got the first part of that a couple of times, but fell short of a cup because he was a coward in big games, and produced by and large dullard teams.

Crazy logic. In what way is the squad being restructured? It's been gradually transformed ever since 2009. Best of the rest wasn't good enough under Moyes so I don't see why it should be under Martinez especially as we have the financial condition to keep our better players now.

We haven't been consistent at home for a season and a half now. That pattern hasn't changed in the three games we've had, indeed home and away we've been inconsistent in this little stretch. Two outstanding performances, some ok, two poor ones.

My original point was that a draw v WBA should not be settled for. We'll be behind what are in my opinion two poorer sides in Liverpool and Spurs. If people want to argue that a draw is good for our top 4 aspirations and finishing mid 60 points is somehow better under Martinez than under Moyes then I'd love to hear it.

We've started well (as I said) and I'd love Martinez to rattle off a string of wins, but the evidence of Everton over the last ten years shows a side that draws too many when opportunity knocks. That is the point I'm making. Realist or negative moaner is entirely for you to decide.
It's a delusion to think we can consistently compete with financially doped clubs like Spurs and Liverpool every season. 4th is not our realistic objective - it's realistically the objective of those two plus the Big Four.

Our objectives have to be:

• European qualification via the EL
  • win a LC or FAC
  • play entertaining attacking football

If you want any more than that get the fat headed fraud and his fellow carpet baggers out of Everton FC.

Good preview bryan. Gonna be a dull game this. Pulis is effective but I can't imagine having to watch his dull ultra defensive brand of football every week. We wont create too many chances so hopefully rom finds his shooting boots.Set pieces are West broms biggest threat. 1 0 to us

Dave doing what Dave does best. ;)
We only got 60 points or over 6 times in the past 27 years, so looking to reach that total - whilst not being success - is an achievement for any Everton manager.

Only once since 1987/88 have we got over 70 points...two seasons ago under the Catalan Wizard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back