What if we'd started this season off poorly, then finished it well as usual

Status
Not open for further replies.

EFC Si

Player Valuation: £25m
So it looks like we're heading for 7th place again. The only difference this time around, is that we've had our 'After Christmas form' before Christmas.

At the moment there are more people calling for Moyes's head than ever before, and a general feel of stronger negativity than usual - despite us being in a similar (if not better) position than the last couple of seasons.

So my question is, if we'd had our current dip (or wall street crash) of form earlier on this year like normal (and obviously had our early season form coming into place now), would everyone be as angry/disappointed as they are now? Would we all be currently saying 'If the league had started in jan we'd be 1st' and having cautious optimism for starting the next season well?

I guess it's because everyone had their expectations built up and then inevitably let down, or is it that we're all just fed up of being a 'nearly team'? Essentially this season is no different than previous seasons gone, I just think that the timing of our good run has made all the difference.

doesn't make a difference to me tbh, we cant keep playing well for just half a season. 3 or 4 new faces in jan would have helped. certain regulars need a rest but can't get one and this could have been a different story this season.

It's the cup surrenders that's the problem with Moyles...not necessarily the inconsistent league form (tho' that is an issue as well).

doesn't make a difference to me tbh, we cant keep playing well for just half a season. 3 or 4 new faces in jan would have helped. certain regulars need a rest but can't get one and this could have been a different story this season.

I agree, we can assume all we like, but I think if we got 2 or 3 new faces (even on loan) in January we could be in a better position.

In the two windows in 2012 we improved our squad well, if we could of done that a couple of months ago the players who play week in week out may have got a slight rest. It's pretty clear that we can't play a full season with the same XI regardless of how good they are. Why we didn't get at least one person in on loan to strengthen is anyone's guess.

Look at Man U, they rotate in every position, if we had that luxury (only a few teams do) we possibly could of kicked on again after Christmas, even though I thought we had a good December.

Moyes needs to use some of his youngsters in the final games as the squad looks jaded, it's his decision, but it's an important one that he has to make, ultimately for the squad but also for the betterment of the youngsters.

Agreed.

He's got to use players like Barkley, Oviedo, Vellios, etc.... The fact that they never get a game just puts more stress on the players that do.

Either way, we can seem to put a consistent season together from start to finish.

If this season continues the way it is going, I think we will look back on it as an opportunity missed. I don't think we had that feeling in the seasons when we started slowly and finished well.
I think this summer is going to be huge for us - we really need something to freshen up our spirits (and squad). and make us believe that we are going to challenge for the top 4 again.

Of course, we could thrash Man City tomorrow and go on a great run which sees us finish 4th and we will all love football again...

Does nobody accept that 7th is our actual level?

When were playing to our full potential and everyone fit....Yes we are better but when we play slightly under then obviously results reflect this.

It's unrealistic to play above or to peak level all season.

When were playing to our full potential and everyone fit....Yes we are better but when we play slightly under then obviously results reflect this.

Oh. That's alright then.

Let's just accept it then. Finishing 7th is a fantastic achievement for a club like Everton.

Nothing but the best of the rest is good enough....

I wouldn't be as annoyed if we went with the usual session . Playing boss first half just brings to much expection and when it doesn't happen it's like a kick in the b0ll0cks

Look at Man U, they rotate in every position, if we had that luxury (only a few teams do) we possibly could of kicked on again after Christmas, even though I thought we had a good December.

Here are the appearance stats for our first team vs the United first team.

Howard 31 starts
Baines 34
Coleman 19
Distin 27
Jags 33
Gibson 15
Osman 34
Fellaini 28
Pienaar 31
Miralles 18
Jelavic 29
Average of 27 starts between them

de Gea 32
Rafael 32
Evra 34
Evans 24
Ferdinand 24
Carrick 33
Cleverly 25
Valencia 21
Rooney 25
Kagawa 16
van Persie 30
Average of 27 starts between them

Outside of that core XI, they've got 16 players that have made at least 1 start between them, totalling 167 starts between the 16 players.

By contrast, outside of our core XI, we've had just 9 players making at least 1 start, combining 85 starts between them.

So you can see that the first choice teams of both sides aren't really any better or worse in terms of games played. The back-ups however are. I think that's been reflected on the pitch. When we get our best team out we're a match, but a few injuries and we struggle.

Status
Not open for further replies.