What Super Kev Meant To Me.

dessy76

Player Valuation: Free Transfer
I remember vividly the massive disappointment I felt on reading we'd signed Kevin Campbell, pre-transfer window days, in late March 1999. Another dire season, my first as a season ticket holder, looked like it was finally going to bring relegation. Pre-season optimism was tempered on the first day of the season when John Spencer started up front in place of an injured Duncan Ferguson, and Ferguson's controversial sale to Newcastle in November 1998 made sure optimism would not show its face again for some time.

A perceived over-the-hill Campbell's debut ended in defeat to Liverpool at Anfield in a very good Derby match (that I've never seen again as we lost!), but a late assist from Campbell offered a tantalising glimpse of what was to follow.

Actually, what immediately followed was a demoralising defeat to demotion rivals Sheffield Wednesday on a largely anonymous Campbell's home debut, and the shadow of relegation loomed ever larger.

Then, as if by magic, out of the dying embers of a bizarre mix of decent players and sub-par journeymen (French international Olivier Dacourt playing alongside Scott Gemmill, with World Cup winner Marco Materazzi partnering Craig Short at the back), a minor miracle unfolded before our eyes. Campbell netted 9 in the remaining 6 games, forming a formidable partnership with 'fox in the box' Franny Jeffers. Most memorable was his hatrick in a 6-0 victory over West Ham at Goodison in the last home game of the season, which preceded a superb night of celebration involving the excessive drunken singing of "Super Kevin Campbell" in various bars, restaurants and taxis around town.

98/99 cemented Kev's place in every Evertonian's heart. For me, they were halcyon days anyway. Good job, great friends, New Labour were still the dogs bollocks, met the wife, no kids, no responsibilities. Kevin Campbell was, and forever shall be, part of that narrative.

45 goals in 145 games for Everton doesn't come close to reflecting how good he was. A 1000 goals in 100 games wouldn't come close to telling you how thoroughly decent a human being he was.

I don't cry often, but I sobbed when I heard about Super Kev.

You dont get many heroes in life.

Thanks for everything mate.

Lovely that mate
I was fortunate enough to have spent a few social occasions in his company through my ex wife’s family they were arsenal supporters and sponsored him a few times when he was down there and stayed friends

He was a giant of a man and a modern day legend
I was just saying to my mate, we all put Dunc on a pedestal, but Kevin Campbell contributed so much more. He just happened to coincide with a special period of my life too. I hope he knew just how appreciated he was.

I have only ever shed a tear over a former player passing and that was when Howard died. I was there for the run in when he was on loan and I was there when Super Kev but the ball in the RS net. I was fortunate like many to have met him and like everyone else I share the opinion he was a true gent and made time for me and a few other Evertonians. I was in awe of him, a real gentle giant.

RIP Super Kev, you will never be forgotten. I hope the 1878 recognise him for our first home game of the season.

I remember vividly the massive disappointment I felt on reading we'd signed Kevin Campbell, pre-transfer window days, in late March 1999. Another dire season, my first as a season ticket holder, looked like it was finally going to bring relegation. Pre-season optimism was tempered on the first day of the season when John Spencer started up front in place of an injured Duncan Ferguson, and Ferguson's controversial sale to Newcastle in November 1998 made sure optimism would not show its face again for some time.

A perceived over-the-hill Campbell's debut ended in defeat to Liverpool at Anfield in a very good Derby match (that I've never seen again as we lost!), but a late assist from Campbell offered a tantalising glimpse of what was to follow.

Actually, what immediately followed was a demoralising defeat to demotion rivals Sheffield Wednesday on a largely anonymous Campbell's home debut, and the shadow of relegation loomed ever larger.

Then, as if by magic, out of the dying embers of a bizarre mix of decent players and sub-par journeymen (French international Olivier Dacourt playing alongside Scott Gemmill, with World Cup winner Marco Materazzi partnering Craig Short at the back), a minor miracle unfolded before our eyes. Campbell netted 9 in the remaining 6 games, forming a formidable partnership with 'fox in the box' Franny Jeffers. Most memorable was his hatrick in a 6-0 victory over West Ham at Goodison in the last home game of the season, which preceded a superb night of celebration involving the excessive drunken singing of "Super Kevin Campbell" in various bars, restaurants and taxis around town.

98/99 cemented Kev's place in every Evertonian's heart. For me, they were halcyon days anyway. Good job, great friends, New Labour were still the dogs bollocks, met the wife, no kids, no responsibilities. Kevin Campbell was, and forever shall be, part of that narrative.

45 goals in 145 games for Everton doesn't come close to reflecting how good he was. A 1000 goals in 100 games wouldn't come close to telling you how thoroughly decent a human being he was.

Brilliant that mate. 💙

Apart from being a lovely person who smiled and brought joy to people everywhere he went .... To me he is probably the guy who stopped us being relegated when he arrived.

It was lovely to see a player that actually wanted to play for the club, and cared about us.

Thanks Kev. Rest well.
You could just tell how proud he was to pull on our shirt couldn't you. We don't always appreciate what we have while we have it, but I'll forever appreciate and be thankful for that massive part he played in my life.

GQa-jrrWgAAVzu7.jpg:large

That's a great post, it really is 💙 . . . but I'm pretty sure it could have been posted here - https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/kevin-campbell-rip-super-kev.119730/page-55#post-11346341

Brilliant this mate