What's your verdict on Marcel Brands?

What's your verdict on Marcel Brands?

• Pleased

• Disappointed

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly don't know what he is trying to put in place now. Either he doesn't have an overarching strategy for the type of player or manager he wants in, or is being over ruled by managers or Moshiri. Either way he doesn't look up for the job from where I'm sitting.

A disjointed squad from multiple managerial reigns with glaring issues in a couple of positions and no real strength past the first 11 is pathetic. His inability to get the driftwood out is abysmal - he could have organised deals similar to Walcott's last year or Kean's ghost year for other players- if he'd only got other clubs to pay a percentage of wages we'd save millions without any impact.

Disappointed.
nailed it

in all honesty, it strikes me that he is man probably being paid more than he could get anywhere, but by a boss that over rules him, undermines him. Brands then is left thinking: I’ll never get this money again - ride it out for as long as I can - and then retire to villa on the med.
I can’t see that he being paid to bring in alladyce, benetez or ancelotti. These are moshiri names.
I also can’t see that he is the one bringing in Walcott, james Rodriguez ect. These are manager signings.
When you peal it back Ben Godfrey is likely to be a dof type signing - he would not have been on ancelotti’s radar.

He is a DOF in name only. There is no way he had the final say in appointing Ancelotti or Benitez and signings such as James aren't down to him. His job for the last 3 years has mainly been based around clearing out players signed by Walsh/Koeman/Allardyce but the huge wages some of them were on meant selling them for decent money was impossible (similar to Man City's early days).

Digne, Richarlison, Gray, Mina, Doucoure, Godfrey have been good signings. Bernard and Kean were questionable with hindsight but at the time made a lot of sense. Delph was a joke of a signing as was Iwobi but there's signs now it may work.

James and Allan were clearly Ancelotti's decisions and sanctioned by Moshiri which is part of the problem. Hopefully he has now realised throwing money on players with no sell on value has huge repercussions.

He is a DOF in name only. There is no way he had the final say in appointing Ancelotti or Benitez and signings such as James aren't down to him. His job for the last 3 years has mainly been based around clearing out players signed by Walsh/Koeman/Allardyce but the huge wages some of them were on meant selling them for decent money was impossible (similar to Man City's early days).

Digne, Richarlison, Gray, Mina, Doucoure, Godfrey have been good signings. Bernard and Kean were questionable with hindsight but at the time made a lot of sense. Delph was a joke of a signing as was Iwobi but there's signs now it may work.

James and Allan were clearly Ancelotti's decisions and sanctioned by Moshiri which is part of the problem. Hopefully he has now realised throwing money on players with no sell on value has huge repercussions.

The thing is mate, every DOF in world football will tell you they wont bring in a player without consultation with the manager, or head coach. Every DOF in world football "dont have the final say...." in any major decision - because there's always a boss, an owner - above him.

We appointed one of the best managers in world football in Carlo Ancelotti, but it was Marcel Brands who had the say on transfers. We spent the money on players Ancelotti admitted he hadn't heard of - Godfrey, and players we tried to sign long before Ancelotti was here - Doucoure.

You don't seem to acknowledge that when you're talking up Rodriguez proving it was Ancelotti who had the say.

Sure, Allan and Rodriguez were clearly only possible because of Ancelotti but so what? If Brands felt they ticked enough boxes, then that's up to him.

When appointing a manager, their contacts/influence in the game to bring in players will be an important consideration.

A picture has just come through from the Juventus board room after the Moise Keen deal

"After 2 years they want us to give them 28 million"

Attachments

• smash.jpg
    smash.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 67
The thing is mate, every DOF in world football will tell you they wont bring in a player without consultation with the manager, or head coach. Every DOF in world football "dont have the final say...." in any major decision - because there's always a boss, an owner - above him.

We appointed one of the best managers in world football in Carlo Ancelotti, but it was Marcel Brands who had the say on transfers. We spent the money on players Ancelotti admitted he hadn't heard of - Godfrey, and players we tried to sign long before Ancelotti was here - Doucoure.

You don't seem to acknowledge that when you're talking up Rodriguez proving it was Ancelotti who had the say.

Sure, Allan and Rodriguez were clearly only possible because of Ancelotti but so what? If Brands felt they ticked enough boxes, then that's up to him.

When appointing a manager, their contacts/influence in the game to bring in players will be an important consideration.
What I'm saying is I don't think Brands fully agreed with the signings of James or Allan because they were but Ancelotti wanted them so they were sanctioned. I fully agree that if a new manager's influence can bring in players then you have to take advantage of that but it's still debatable if James was a worthwhile signing. Mega talented and technically great but did mean the midfield were under more pressure when covering for him.

What I'm saying is I don't think Brands fully agreed with the signings of James or Allan because they were but Ancelotti wanted them so they were sanctioned. I fully agree that if a new manager's influence can bring in players then you have to take advantage of that but it's still debatable if James was a worthwhile signing. Mega talented and technically great but did mean the midfield were under more pressure when covering for him.

What you said is 'He is a DOF in name only'

You then sought to explain that by claiming we were bringing in players Brands didn't want.

That's some assumption... isn't it?

How do we know Brands didn't want Allan or Rodriguez? If Ancelotti unlocked those doors, we'd be foolish to not take advantage.

We needed midfielders, perhaps Brands felt both players - only obtainable because of Ancelotti - topped any on the list he could bring in?

My point is though - the big money we spent while Ancelotti was here - on players Ancelotti admitted he hadn't heard of (Godfrey), or we bid for before Ancelotti was even here (Doucoure). Those players, clearly, and definitely was Marcel Brands driven.

Every DOF will work with the manager, and some signings will be manager driven, some DOF driven - but both will agree. Ultimately, the buck stops with the Director of Football. The good signings - Godfrey are him, as are the bad ones, like Delph. Trying to portion or credit or blame is a bit daft, really.

Even now with Benitez. Clearly Townsend, Rondon and Lonergan are Benitez driven but out of pragmatism. Free transfers who add something - that's not to say Brands is being ignored.

I'm getting bored of the shouts that suggest Brands isn't allowed to do his job. There's nothing to suggest that, and it's insulting to the man.

The DOF position he has here, has as much power, if not more considering the number of boards he sits on - than any other club I can think of.

Every DOF has an owner above him who has the final say.

Every DOF has a manager/head coach who will have their opinion on players/transfers.

Apologies if already posted. Spreadsheet showing transfers in and out since Moshiri. I'm not defending Brands as I confess to know very little about him or indeed, the role of a DoF. I can however read and add up. The combination of Koeman Allardyce and Walsh has left a stain on us that no amount of Persil will clean for years to come. Factor in Tosun and Sigurdsson and it appears that over £115 million has been lost due to these three. Brands gets a lot of their blame.
image_2021-09-02_114141.png

Jeez, 47 million for Schneiderlin and Klassen, £circa 2m for Gray, Townsend and Rondon.
I like townsend and gray but ain't giving any praise to brands for those buys. both well know PL player's, 1 on a free And the other was waiting for a return to England. Any conference director of football could of pulled those deals off. Brands needs to bring in these so called hidden gems

Hes not as good as I'd like and he has swing and missed but I'd sat only 2/3 bad signings/unmitigated disasters. Iwobi I still have hope for a redemption arc. Gomes was bad from day 1 and its revisionist nonsense to blame the ankle break. Delph was and is a disaster, too much money on a player everyone in the world knew was made from broken biscuits.

That aside his main issue was contracts, 5 years for Michael Keane??? 2 year extension for Broadhead???

Status
Not open for further replies.