Who's next after Benitez - Poll reset 25th Jan

Who's next from this list ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 152944

…..Ferguson pushed out of the top 2 in the betting as Lampard support continues but the market suggests the bookies don’t have a clue and nothing is imminent.

I get the feeling everyone is waiting to see what happens today. A win, an a convincing win would likely see some movement for Ferguson.

A defeat, and it may well force the board to look in another direction, or speed up their feelings on a manager.

Theyve spoken to Lampard, Cannavaro (apparently) and Rooney seems interested. There has been a pause. I wonder if that is to ay how Duncan does. I cant really make sense of it in many other contexts (unless hes waiting for someone like Mourinho).

Dont know. But im reflective this morning. Reading last night about we lost 7-3 on agg to norwich and watford it makes me wonder even more how that absolute fcking dinosaur got this job and even lasted 6 months.
Pure car crash appointment. And all self inflicted.
Right.
And breath.
Lets move on.

I get the feeling everyone is waiting to see what happens today. A win, an a convincing win would likely see some movement for Ferguson.

A defeat, and it may well force the board to look in another direction, or speed up their feelings on a manager.

Theyve spoken to Lampard, Cannavaro (apparently) and Rooney seems interested. There has been a pause. I wonder if that is to ay how Duncan does. I cant really make sense of it in many other contexts (unless hes waiting for someone like Mourinho).
I understand where you're coming from with today's result but should we really be judging if he's good enough to be our manager on one game? I would hope not but i fear you may be right.

…makes sense but I have my doubts that Ferguson wants it. He’ll probably go favourite with a positive result today (fingers crossed) but I don’t see him getting the job.

i suspect this delay might be more to do with a difference of opinion regarding the permanent appointment.

Yes agree with much of that.

In fairness there was little pressure from a footballing/club standpoint, but you have to say hes handled it well. Most people with no pressure tend to do a Daniel Farke, play some ridiculous experimental system and lose loads of games. I like the fact he has been quite pragmatic and clearly got into the players that they can stay up.

I do think there was a lot pressure on Rooney though. Hes not a massively liked figure, much of that is his own fault like, but lots of people would have been waiting to write him off if they got relegated, particularly if he collapsed. Let's be honest here, if he "did a Farke", got 25 points or whatever there would have been little mitigation given. So even if you were being cautious, youd have to ay hes grasped the task at hand, and realised what was needed to turn things around.

Hes kind of the anti- Lampard for me, that I have no idea what he can do beyond that. Theres no evidence. Hes managed a crisis very well, but what would he be like once that phase was navigated.

Lampard is sort of the opposite to me, I worry about him in a crisis, but I suspect, a bit like Arteta, if hes given time and stability he may do ok. Hes did well ish at Derby (I'd not say outstanding but did well) and you're right to say he put some processes in place at Chelsea. I'll be honest, I'm not sure how much it was Lampard that helped Tuchel, I dont think Lampard ever got much out of your Havertz and Werners, who Tuchel turned around. However he did blood younger players, which is a plus. I just worry about the pinch point we are in. Chelsea, and Derby when he was there were well run orgs. At present we are not, and I dont think it's a great dressing room. It's not inconceivable we go down, and I suppose I just want that door shutting.

So Rooney feels the better fit now, but Lampard may be someone who comes into the frame in the summer for me. What I'll also say, is he has better name recognition than Potter. Potter could well be a better coach, but players, and particularly young players will come and play for Lampard ahead of Potter.

Thing with Potter and my bug reservation about him, is how much is him how much is the DoF/club structure and how he'd be without that or with one not as good in place

Lampard, Potter, Rooney for me would all be acceptable choices given the other possibilities being thrown out in the press.

Seen a fair few contradictory statements about how interviews have gone, and given the mess we are I think both are true, because they good/bad interview stuff is probably being leaked by different factions at the club depending who they support

Thing with Potter and my bug reservation about him, is how much is him how much is the DoF/club structure and how he'd be without that or with one not as good in place

Lampard, Potter, Rooney for me would all be acceptable choices given the other possibilities being thrown out in the press.

Seen a fair few contradictory statements about how interviews have gone, and given the mess we are I think both are true, because they good/bad interview stuff is probably being leaked by different factions at the club depending who they support

Yes I agree with all of that, especially the Potter stuff. It's a different ball game here entirely. I'd honestly rather we get Ashworth than Potter, and crucially allow Ashworth to do his job.

I'd also like to see Cahill come on board, and Kenwright get sidelined.

Of the names above, if the structure doesn't change, Rooney will be the one who will fare best in the current system IMO as he will stand up to Kenwright.

…makes sense but I have my doubts that Ferguson wants it. He’ll probably go favourite with a positive result today (fingers crossed) but I don’t see him getting the job.

i suspect this delay might be more to do with a difference of opinion regarding the permanent appointment.

For sure that's the reason Eggs.

Blue Bill is obviously the drive behind Martinez and likely behind Rooney too as his back up option.

Moshiri - God knows who he wants but can probably be certain it's someone high profile regardless of ability.

Yes I agree with all of that, especially the Potter stuff. It's a different ball game here entirely. I'd honestly rather we get Ashworth than Potter, and crucially allow Ashworth to do his job.

Of the names above, if the structure doesn't change, Rooney will be the one who will fare best in the current system IMO as he will stand up to Kenwright.

The joke of this club is thst we have a shedload of former players on the coaching staff, meanwhile the ones who've actually not taken the easy route and went to work elsewhere seem the competent ones.

Carsley, Weir, Arteta and now Rooney.

All seem at worst competent at what they do.

Meanwhile we have Unsworth whose the equivalent of the secretary useless at her job kept in place because she's banging the boss (allegedly)

Lampard was a great pro and all of that is true, but as a manager I dont really see it mate. At Derby he had (relatively speaking) loads of money and didnt get them promoted (but did well to get them into the top 6). No issues with his job there, but I'd say he did decently but not much more.

At Chelsea, I think he underwhelmed. When they came to Goodison a couple of years ago, they were ran off the park by us. I thought they were soft. In his 1st season he got less points than Sarri got, and in his 2nd season, he had them in about 6th. Tuchel has come in, won them the CL and had them on 2ppg form in that time (so title challenging form). Hes only added Lukaku, who in honesty hasnt worked out.

Long story short, I think it's hard to say Lampard didn't under achieve with those players. There was lots of good that he did too, he has "name recognition" (which does matter, as like with Gerrard, and Rooney people will come to play for him) but I cant shake this idea that he under achieved at Chelsea.

The other concern, is he has been at 2 clubs at the right end of the table. This situation is completely different. Rooney's experience, of managing a bigger sh1tshow than here, and having a record not too dissimilar to Lampard at Derby is astonishing. Theres a credible case hes MOTY at Derby. Hes taken a group of players that would have been akin to Norwich or Newcastle in the PL, with a 21 point deduction, and got them to perform like a side in 8/9th in the PL.

People sort of say we wouldnt notice him if he wasnt Wayne Rooney, but honestly I think that's not true at all. I sort of think because its Wayne Rooney, and for whatever reason people dont want "jobs for the boys" and understandably because of many of his antics, people are underestimating what he has done at Derby. The fact he stuck around, and didnt let them fold, in his 1st season in management, is a big plus for me. Hes found solutions to problems.

I see Lampard, and hes only really known well structured clubs. I really worry he drowns here.

That's my thoughts though. Like honestly I'm not sure I want either, but if it was 1, for me it would be Rooney. I think this jobs for the boys stuff had to be looked at, Rooney could have easily come back, and just been an academy coach here and taken the easy option. It probably at United too. He didnt, he went and cut his teeth, in a eally tough spot. Could have walked away from Derby knowing hed almost certainly have a relegation on his record, hut didnt. He makes a lot of mistakes, but I think that says a lot about the character of the fella really.
Gary Rowlett(I think) was at Derby the season before Lampard and got more points scored more goals and conceded less goals and didn’t have 2/3 Chelsea players. Lampard had Chelsea in 9th when he got sacked. To me I don’t see it

What role would you see for Cahill though mate?

The joke of this club is thst we have a shedload of former players on the coaching staff, meanwhile the ones who've actually not taken the easy route and went to work elsewhere seem the competent ones.

Carsley, Weir, Arteta and now Rooney.

All seem at worst competent at what they do.

Meanwhile we have Unsworth whose the equivalent of the secretary useless at her job kept in place because she's banging the boss (allegedly)

Yes. I think I mentioned previously about jobs for the boys, to me it depends on who they are. If people go away, prove themselves etc I'm not sure it's fair to level them with that stick.

I had an argument with someone the other day about Cahill, saying he'd only get the job as he played for the club. This is a fella who has built a massive brand, worked on 4 different continents and earned plaudits, gone and got a business degree from a world leading university and is now running a big football club/academy structure over in the middle east. To top it off, he clearly loves and understands the club. The idea he couldn't add something to the club is ridiculous, and as you say that he gets lumped in with Jeffers or Baxter seems really odd.

Of the names above, I'd happily have Weir and Carsley involved. Arteta won't come back now. Rooney might. If you want to create a club culture, I suppose it needs to be the right people.

Status
Not open for further replies.