Who's next after Benitez - Poll reset 25th Jan

Who's next from this list ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's certainly a valid interpretation.

I just see it differently. I think we sounded him out, he said "on a short term basis" to allow him to manage the world cup. Belgium said no.

I cant see much sense in the club only wanting him for a short period of time. As you know, he does a lot of his work over a period of time, hes not just an Allardyce shock jock type.

You look at what hes doing more broadly for Belgium football, and I do think he would make an excellent DOF.

He'd be an appalling DoF mate, he's responsible for quite possibly the worst centre back in Alcaraz and worst cf in Niasse that I've ever witnessed at us

they were both better than Benitez.
One is top of the championship and the other is in with a very good chance of winning the world cup.
In a half a year Benitez got one, just one result where Everton were comfortable for 90 minutes. (BHA away)
And as for the Mourinho shout, come on man. How can you spend so much time on here and watching football and want him for Everton, how?
Correct, as, statistically, was Mike Walker ffs. Benitez was an unmitigated disaster, Mourinho would be almost as bad, the one real difference between him and Benitez, is that Mourinho comes across better in media interviews.

It isn’t rocket science. Hire a DoF to run the club. Let him decide on a style of play and pick a manager and players who are all on board with that. Let them all do their job and don’t stick your nose in. Very simple.
This is exactly right apart from it doesn’t take into account reality (not having a go btw). Moshiri is a football fan so he feels like he can/should try and help.. I guess if any of us owned the club we’d be keen to have a say and get involved too. Handing the keys to your pride and joy for someone to drive around would be very difficult.. but he needs to know where the boundaries are and what involvement is appropriate and helpful.

Could definitely do worse, Mourinho, Martinez for example and who was that other waste of space? Oh Benitez. At least Lampard has potential to improve and is not on a downward spiral.
'Potential to improve and not on a downward spiral' still sounds like a low bar to me! ?

I agree with you on Mourinho, because his tenure always implodes and damages the club, and on Benitez, which was a huge risk for this club. There are better candidates than Rooney, Lampard and Dunc.

I don't see Lampard instilling the required discipline or defensive solidity in this squad and while he did ok at Derby and Chelsea, he certainly didn't overachieve with those teams.

Rooney is doing well in very difficult circumstances, but fairytales are just that and they're no basis for hiring a manager with one year of mixed experience. His personal life is also a major concern - at some point, there'll be another story in the papers about him in a drunken mess, or something about him bedding some slapper(s). That's not good if he's our manager at the time. It's bad. It's not unthinkable he could do something that would result in a police investigation. I love him and I hope he proves to be a really good manager. He's too big a risk at the moment.

Duncan has never taken proper charge of a club. 4 games as interim manager is nowhere near enough. If be open to this IF the managers he's worked with, especially Carlo, had said to the board, "That guy's got what it takes. Lack of experience won't hold him back. His contributions to tactical planning were good, he helped instill a good culture in the team, etc." I can't see evidence of that, but it's possible. Even then, for every Arteta, there are many more who end up like Kidd and Phelan.

Go for someone who has a record over several years of improving the teams they've managed. Most of those managers are out of our league. Favre and Garcia have done that in quality leagues and they're available. Don't know what their English is like, which can be an issue. Cannavaro did it, but the China context is a factor, so in my view we shouldn't be looking at him unless the two above have said they're not interested.

Wayne, Dunc and Lampard haven't done it, so why consider them?

This is exactly right apart from it doesn’t take into account reality (not having a go btw). Moshiri is a football fan so he feels like he can/should try and help.. I guess if any of us owned the club we’d be keen to have a say and get involved too. Handing the keys to your pride and joy for someone to drive around would be very difficult.. but he needs to know where the boundaries are and what involvement is appropriate and helpful.
My initial thought reading that was “yeah but I’m not absolutely clueless”.

Catching myself, I can see exactly you mean. Everyone will always inflate their own sense of expertise if it’s something they’re passionate about, Moshiri included. We’re all certain we would do better and follow what makes sense, but we might not.

Status
Not open for further replies.