Who's next after Benitez - Poll reset 25th Jan

Who's next from this list ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t ever really hear that much about other clubs interviewing managers. They just seem to select their target, maybe interview them, then get it done or move onto the next one. Whenever we change manager we seem to have a multi stage selection process with candidates invited to apply.
I agree here but I think the term "interview" is incorrectly used by the media anyway. It's more like meetings or rounds of discussions.

The elite clubs can pick a target and really it's only about salary / contractual obligations and backroom staff being sorted out.

Not so for us. If I was a credible manager taking career progression seriously and with ambition, I'd want as many meetings as I could get with Everton as my list of concerns would be a mile long.

That's what should happen but it doesn't mean we wont end up with someone just a few ticks down the list with eyes on the contract only.

Nothing people try to spin takes away from the fact he did a good job in both his previous clubs.

The only argument I'm hearing is hes not as good as Tuchel. Tell me something I dont already know.
I think the argument is that he had an extremely talented Chelsea squad 9th in the table and on an increasingly downward spiral. He managed to make players like Rudiger, Kovacic and Jorginho look mediocre. There was no discernible tactical plan in his set up. There were reports about poor man management skills, like not talking to players who were not in the team and things like that.

If he's given the job I'd get behind him but would have my concerns and would only hope he's learned from that experience.

Edit: there were also the time he started sniping at reporters in a press conference which was also not ideal.

Re the Tuchel shouts

We had a world class manager. In fact we had one of the greatest managers of all time in charge. Even then though, by the end of the season, a large number of fans on here were calling for a different type of manager rather than going through the required pain of a multi year turnaround job.

There is no silver bullet. The new manager has to come in, keep us up, and then start again on changing everything at the club, and btw there might be some pain whilst he does it, we can’t just call for his head the moment this happens though.

I almost want us to get the biggest hipster progressive young manager we can find so that when he has the same problems there’s literally not a corner of the managerial market we can go to whilst we avoid the real problems at the club (I mean we have tried this already with Silva but people seem to have forgotten this. If he hadn’t have been manager already he’d be 100% getting touted on here as the type of coach we should be going for)

Dutch disciplinarian (433) - failed
Progressive young continental manager (433) - failed
Traditional English manager (4141) - failed as fans couldn’t abide his football
World class Italian pragmatist (433/532) - average return but fans didn’t like the football
Regimented tactical experienced manager (4231) - failed
Numerous interim Everton ex players - failed

Fans ‘let’s get a coach that plays 433 progressive attacking football, the players just need some coaching and set piece work’

When will the penny finally drop for some of you lot?

What did he win at Chelsea?

I wouldn't mind Lampard but it be quite funny if he wasn't appointed just to see you crying in your super Frank posters
I'm pretty open minded to whoever we appoint. As long as they are

1. Not a red
2. Not a reappointment of a previous manager
3. Not outdated and well past their best

I just see Lampard as the best option. But if its Rooney, Kovac, etc. then fine i can get on board

I agree here but I think the term "interview" is incorrectly used by the media anyway. It's more like meetings or rounds of discussions.

The elite clubs can pick a target and really it's only about salary / contractual obligations and backroom staff being sorted out.

Not so for us. If I was a credible manager taking career progression seriously and with ambition, I'd want as many meetings as I could get with Everton as my list of concerns would be a mile long.

That's what should happen but it doesn't mean we wont end up with someone just a few ticks down the list with eyes on the contract only.

I remember when we hired Martinez though, everyone knew there’d been interviews with Neville, Stubbs, Weir and someone else (I can’t remember) plus Martinez. I just don’t see other clubs compiling shortlists like this and making them public to the media, whereas according to reports everyone knows that at least Lampard and probably Rooney have had interviews.

Re the Tuchel shouts

We had a world class manager. In fact we had one of the greatest managers of all time in charge. Even then though, by the end of the season, a large number of fans on here were calling for a different type of manager rather than going through the required pain of a multi year turnaround job.

There is no silver bullet. The new manager has to come in, keep us up, and then start again on changing everything at the club, and btw there might be some pain whilst he does it, we can’t just call for his head the moment this happens though.

I almost want us to get the biggest hipster progressive young manager we can find so that when he has the same problems there’s literally not a corner of the managerial market we can go to whilst we avoid the real problems at the club (I mean we have tried this already with Silva but people seem to have forgotten this. If he hadn’t have been manager already he’d be 100% getting touted on here as the type of coach we should be going for)

World class Italian pragmatist (433/532) - average return but fans didn’t like the football

Fans ‘let’s get a coach that plays 433 progressive attacking football, the players just need some coaching and set piece work’

Ancelotti got 59 points which was probably slight overachievement

But even a 15 point drop off leaves us comfortably safe. Thats a decrease of over 25%. The fact we are on course for quite a bit worse than that shows us that the manager failed. The players are not good but mid 40 points is minimum expected. They are mid to lower midtable players and absolutely not relegation fodder averaging under 1 point per game.

There are plenty of managers who can get the expected 45-50 points with these players. Theres a big difference between that and what we are seeing.

I'm pretty open minded to whoever we appoint. As long as they are

1. Not a red
2. Not a reappointment of a previous manager
3. Not outdated and well past their best

I just see Lampard as the best option. But if its Rooney, Kovac, etc. then fine i can get on board
Would you take Jürgen Klopp?

I said midway through the game that we needed to swap Gray with Townsend as he was having no look down the left - three men on him and no support.

It wasn't much of a surprise that Gordon came on and was able to run at them and get behind, whereas Gray had struggled to do so.
Said exactly the same to my dad in the first half

53% of Villa's attacks came down Digne's side, as he had nothing to worry about going the other way.

Re the Tuchel shouts

‘When will the penny drop’ says someone who was still backing Benitez.

Status
Not open for further replies.