Who's the greatest of them all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Foxy i can't remember where i heard this but someone told me that we nearly got peter shilton before nev became our first choice goalie. everton wouldn't up their offer or something??. we might never of seen big nev!!!

shilton was a fine shot stopper and for me the main reason forest won so many cups , anderson barrett lloyd and burns played in front of him ffs , ye we come very close to getting him ,but for me he wasnt in the same leauge as big nev.

shilton was a fine shot stopper and for me the main reason forest won so many cups , anderson barrett lloyd and burns played in front of him ffs , ye we come very close to getting him ,but for me he wasnt in the same leauge as big nev.[/QUOTE]

Same here mate.

Deadly finisher sadly not much footage of him about. 15 penalties never missed one.Never forget his goals when we clinched the title against Fulham.
had the pleasure of his company one night at preston greyhound stadium ,spoke all night about efc ,everytime i saw him at the track after that he would allways say hello, allways had the cig in his hand. top man

Some godo shouts so far. My dad always told me the Golden Vision was the best everton player for him.

For me when I watched them in the 70's Duncan McKenzie was my fav player along with Bob Latch.

80's it had to be Reidy - Just an awesome inspiring figurehead for the team. Big Nev was without doubt the best goalkeeper in the world at the time, the saves he made away to sheff wed and tottenham in 85 will live long in the memory for me.

Since then it's been pretty slim pickings, but Big Dunc just gave me goosebumps everytime he walked on the pitch.

It's close but if I had to choose one I'd go for Reidy, he wasn't the most skillful Everton player we've seen but I don't think there has ever been one with a bigger heart imo. He made the team tick and woe be tide if you didn't put a shift in playing alongside him.

in all my time watching everton i can honestly say that big nev was the best in the world at the time he played for us .there is not any other player who you can say this about .nev was the best

Absolutely this^ He was the best in the world.

Big Nev gets my vote; but it send me into a rant about the media and Everton FC with Big Nev.

In my 31 years of watching football no goalkeeper as come close to Big Nev, the big dane at United was world class and is a very close 2nd but Nev was the best.

The media drive me bersek when talking about goalkeepers, its always Shilton, Seaman and Woods that are mentioned as the best british keepers; these lot don't even come close to lacing Nevs boots, they where all wonderful shot stoppers, but granted alot of them had a fantastic defensive line in front of them and where not world class goalkeepers.

Our benefit was that if our defensive line was breached the man mountain wouldn't be. His command of the box was unreal and you could hear him screaming at his back line for the full 90 minutes, he was our leader from the back. How many times at Goodison have we seen goalkeepers go into a crowd of players and drop the ball, or be on there arses crying; and how many times have you said to the person next to you, or heard someone say 'If that was Nev, the players would be on the floor and he'd be standing there holding the ball'.

Us Evertonians have been blessed over the years with some exceptional players, gifted with great feet and vision, speed and technique, some would make you proud and others would give you goosebumps when they scored and the Street end would erupt. And there is Nev, a class above anyone in his position, a man who could have walked into any team in the world during the 80's and commanded the same respect from his defense no matter what langauge barrier stod in his way, a man that should be remembered by the club as a hero, a leader and the best in his business.

Not exactly an all time greatest, but as a kid one player always stood out for me was Alan Whittle. ( The Hustler )..

Just checked him out on wiki, some interesting facts, Still lives on the Wirrell i believe, aged 62..

As a midfielder and product of our academy it was always going to be difficult to break in to the holy trinity..

Would love if anyone sees him knocking around the area and give us an update on hows hes doing... cheers.

Although well before my time, footage that I have seen of Roy Vernon proves that he was a great player indeed. There was also the great Alec Young (aka The Golden Vision) and then the wonderful midfield trio of Kendall, Ball and Harvey in the 60's. All exceptional players.

The 80's saw us with other great midfielders....Trevor Steven and Peter Reid notably and also Sheedy's "best left foot in the business". We had one of the world's great goalscorers in Lineker, albeit briefly.

But...the best of them all....definitely Big Nev. The one time that we could truly say we had the best in the whole world. Schmeichel, Shilton etc were great keepers who had good defences in front of them. Big Nev had a great defence for the Ratcliffe years but played into the 90's without a decent line infront of him.

The moment that just summed him up for me was in the 1995 cup final...wearing that ridiculous bumble bee shirt. Long ball over the top and I think Pallister goes up for the ball. If he made contact it would have been in our net but, instead, one large gloved hand goes up and plucks the ball off the top of Pallister's head. As the Man U players stare in disbelief and disappointment, Nev just smiles and waves people out of his area. Shortly before that he had turned the clock back ten years and made a double save from Scholes.

But...the best of them all....definitely Big Nev. The one time that we could truly say we had the best in the whole world. Schmeichel, Shilton etc were great keepers who had good defences in front of them. Big Nev had a great defence for the Ratcliffe years but played into the 90's without a decent line infront of him.

The moment that just summed him up for me was in the 1995 cup final...wearing that ridiculous bumble bee shirt. Long ball over the top and I think Pallister goes up for the ball. If he made contact it would have been in our net but, instead, one large gloved hand goes up and plucks the ball off the top of Pallister's head. As the Man U players stare in disbelief and disappointment, Nev just smiles and waves people out of his area. Shortly before that he had turned the clock back ten years and made a double save from Scholes.

That was brilliant. I remember laughing out loud when he did that and thinking "We've won this". He was imperious that day.

That was brilliant. I remember laughing out loud when he did that and thinking "We've won this". He was imperious that day.

That's exactly how I felt too. I seem to remember that the camera actually panned to Joe Royle at that point and he was looking at someone and making a "V" for victory sign with his hand. May have been looking at Alex Ferguson whose gum chewing had speeded up according to the commentator.

Good clip of Vernon getting a couple against Wet Ham in 1960/61 is on youtube, my arl fella always talks about him.

However does mention that Alex Young if you havent seen the 1968 drama documentary "The Golden Vision" it is worth a look here is a link to part one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnjIgizeNc4
the links for the other parts are on there. The introduction by Young's daughter is brilliant.
In my time (going since 1984) I always loved Sheeds I remember that day he scored the free kick in the park end had to retake it so put it in the opposite corner, and then there was his two finger salute to the kop legend! the team today arent fit enough to lace these players boots nevermind wear the blue shirt.

in all my time watching everton i can honestly say that big nev was the best in the world at the time he played for us .there is not any other player who you can say this about .nev was the best

And I remember once Ruud Gullit also expressed that Neville Southall was the best goalkeeper he had ever come across in the world of football in regards to shot stopping ability. I believe he said this not long after Holland and Wales played each other in an international of some kind...

And I remember once Ruud Gullit also expressed that Neville Southall was the best goalkeeper he had ever come across in the world of football in regards to shot stopping ability. I believe he said this not long after Holland and Wales played each other in an international of some kind...
in holland remember it mate .i think wales got beat about 7,0 in 1 game gullitt said he was the best goalie hed ever played against. to true

Status
Not open for further replies.