Who's the greatest of them all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not exactly an all time greatest, but as a kid one player always stood out for me was Alan Whittle. ( The Hustler )..

Just checked him out on wiki, some interesting facts, Still lives on the Wirrell i believe, aged 62..

As a midfielder and product of our academy it was always going to be difficult to break in to the holy trinity..

Would love if anyone sees him knocking around the area and give us an update on hows hes doing... cheers.
he works for the club on matchdays ,see him in the lounges from time to time

Good clip of Vernon getting a couple against Wet Ham in 1960/61 is on youtube, my arl fella always talks about him.

However does mention that Alex Young if you havent seen the 1968 drama documentary "The Golden Vision" it is worth a look here is a link to part one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnjIgizeNc4
the links for the other parts are on there. The introduction by Young's daughter is brilliant.
In my time (going since 1984) I always loved Sheeds I remember that day he scored the free kick in the park end had to retake it so put it in the opposite corner, and then there was his two finger salute to the kop legend! the team today arent fit enough to lace these players boots nevermind wear the blue shirt.

That was great indeed....against Ipswich I think when he scorde from about 25 yards and then re-took it and scored again!

Apparently he scored 92 goals in about 340 appearances for Everton. That's better than any actual strikers that we have since the 80's. How tragic is that statistic.

That was great indeed....against Ipswich I think when he scorde from about 25 yards and then re-took it and scored again!

Apparently he scored 92 goals in about 340 appearances for Everton. That's better than any actual strikers that we have since the 80's. How tragic is that statistic.

314 games he scored 77 goals, legend met him a few times at Finch Farm says the best moment of his career was slotting that one past hooper in the kop

Right you are. We all wear blue tinted glasses but I honestly truthfully believe that Nev was the greatest keeper I have ever seen. Look at Casillas, Buffon etc now the cream of the crop. I would rate Nev definitely better. Better than Schmeichel? Yes. No argument. I well remember the 80s team and good though the likes of Sheeds and Ratchliife were Nev was world class....the best.

According to the song "Little Curly Alan Ball"

Accordinging to me Grandad "Tommy Lawton"

According to me Dad "Alex Young"

Me I loved all the 80's team but agree completely Nev is the Only Truly World Class player I've seen play for us. By that I mean in the league of Pele, Maradonna, Zidane, Messi. These are players to be judged against and as a goal keeper he is up there for me.

The saves at Spurs and Sheff Wed mentioned earlier will also live long in my memory along with the 95 final and the sit down protest against Leeds.

Some great recollections here!! This type of thread reminds us all why we are Evertonians. When we have the good times they are special.

Alan Ball was my favouirite player and i can't think of anyone to touch him for his determination and passion and an all round winner

efc__1327331357_alan-ball.jpg

My old fella (82 next week) would tell you - of those he saw: Dixie (yes he was lucky enough to see him in his final years at Everton), Tommy Lawton, Alec Stevenson, TG Jones, Farrell, Eglington - and for those of us much younger: Tony Kay, Roy Vernon, Tommy Ring, Bobby Collins, Alex Young, Ball, Harvey, Kendall...I could go on!

My old fella (82 next week) would tell you - of those he saw: Dixie (yes he was lucky enough to see him in his final years at Everton), Tommy Lawton, Alec Stevenson, TG Jones, Farrell, Eglington - and for those of us much younger: Tony Kay, Roy Vernon, Tommy Ring, Bobby Collins, Alex Young, Ball, Harvey, Kendall...I could
go on!

Hope the old timer has a great birthday mate.

There is coverage of our game V Man Utd in 1968 at Goodison on youtube. Watch it ( I don't know how to link it ).

Alex Young got a couple of half chances and so so quickly turned them into danger. He looked lethal. George Best, widely regarded as being comparable to Cruyff was on the pitch but the Vision was....the Vision.

Neville Southall is the best goalkeeper I've ever seen.

I've heard that Ray Wilson was as good as anyone in his position too. Before my time though.

Duncan McKenzie was my favourite as a kid then Trevor Steven. Apparently, when Tricky was at Rangers, Souness said 'England must have a hell of a midfield if Trevor Steven can't get in the team'. Defo underrated. Superb player. Should have had a hundred caps for England

Status
Not open for further replies.