Will Martinez ever lead us to the Champions League?

Will Martinez lead us into the Champions League at any time during his tenure?

• Yes

• No

• Selection of breads and cheeses

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe we should have a poll on whether the board would back Martinez enough to lead us to the champions league?

That would be a one-sided poll as it's 100% clear that the current Board don't have the capital or the business acumen to compete financially with the top 4-5 spenders, and so couldn't support him. I genuinely think they'd want to, but lack of wonga and strategy means they can't.

The thing is folks, champions league places aren't won at Old Trafford, The Emirates etc or even at home against the other top 6 teams.

They are won against the likes of West Ham, Crystal Palace, Leicester and the middle 10 teams.

Are we capable of beating them? Some would say not without the mythical playmaker.

I'd say with the skill players we have already, a great deal of belief (which Martinez appears to be good at instilling in them) and a good dollop of luck with decisions and injuries then we can beat them.

I've said from the start though, we have to give him 5 years.

I hope the players feel the same (and Stones is back on board for the ride) and if the core group of stars stick around, I reckon they will reach their goal within 4 years.

The team and indeed the squad is the best we have ever had in the premier league era.

Let's celebrate and support the players we have instead of lamenting the ones we don't.

We are Everton. We have Ross Barkley. We have Romelu Lukaku. We have John Stones. We have Gerard Deulofeu.

Who would have believed that 3 years ago?

Well, it's not 3 years ago and the glass ceiling mentality of Moyes and Neville have long since been banished from the whole club so it's about time the supporters of Everton followed suit.
What a post that is

The thing is folks, champions league places aren't won at Old Trafford, The Emirates etc or even at home against the other top 6 teams.

They are won against the likes of West Ham, Crystal Palace, Leicester and the middle 10 teams.

Are we capable of beating them? Some would say not without the mythical playmaker.

I'd say with the skill players we have already, a great deal of belief (which Martinez appears to be good at instilling in them) and a good dollop of luck with decisions and injuries then we can beat them.

I've said from the start though, we have to give him 5 years.

I hope the players feel the same (and Stones is back on board for the ride) and if the core group of stars stick around, I reckon they will reach their goal within 4 years.

The team and indeed the squad is the best we have ever had in the premier league era.

Let's celebrate and support the players we have instead of lamenting the ones we don't.

We are Everton. We have Ross Barkley. We have Romelu Lukaku. We have John Stones. We have Gerard Deulofeu.

Who would have believed that 3 years ago?

Well, it's not 3 years ago and the glass ceiling mentality of Moyes and Neville have long since been banished from the whole club so it's about time the supporters of Everton followed suit.

You've quite a fitting username with that philosophy.

Also an ironic one because we lack a playmaker of your namesake's ilk.

I would say if he cant do it this season then never, when you look around there only seems to be City who are a certain for the top 4, the rest of the league is open at the mo.

I would say if he cant do it this season then never, when you look around there only seems to be City who are a certain for the top 4, the rest of the league is open at the mo.

It really is - that's what frustrated me so much about not bothering with that key playmaker. How many times is the door left ajar and we don't have the ambition to open it?

It really is - that's what frustrated me so much about not bothering with that key playmaker. How many times is the door left ajar and we don't have the ambition to open it?

I know, i think its one reason why some average sides have spent big, took a chance, if it pays off be worth it, as long as you don't push the boat out too far.

I know, i think its one reason why some average sides have spent big, took a chance, if it pays off be worth it, as long as you don't push the boat out too far.

What is too far when there is a massive TV deal around the corner?
The plight of Leeds and Portsmouth has propped up this board for years.

(Not disagreeing with you btw)

Can every thread not end up being about the board?

It's the way it seems lately. Discussion needs to be varied, not always about financial matters, every time.

Other stuff is a factor too. I agree we need investment but this thread is primarily about the managers talent - not the boards ability to find cash. I'm not soft, I know the two are linked somewhat, but at the moment, every other discussion ends up being about the board.

That can be discussed in the board thread. Thanks.

Last edited:

Can every thread not end up being about the board?

It's the way it seems lately. Discussion needs to be varied, not always about financial matters, every time.

Other stuff is a factor too. I agree we need investment but this thread is primarily about the managers talent - not the boards ability to find cash. I'm not soft, I know the two are linked somewhat, but at the moment, every other discussion ends up being about the board.

That can be discussed in the board thread. Thanks.

I get what you are saying, but money is the biggest driving factor for that next step.

Surely the Chelsea and City forums are not moaning about their lack of investment from their boards?

It's a bit of a vicious circle as it really is the end all to be all to end all.

I get what you are saying, but money is the biggest driving factor for that next step.

Surely the Chelsea and City forums are not moaning about their lack of investment from their boards?

It's a bit of a vicious circle as it really is the end all to be all to end all.
True, however at what point do we talk about the rest of the club?

I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to read a discussion about something other than Bill Kenwright's bank balance, however intrinsically linked to the club it may be.

Sometimes we play football matches too lol

True, however at what point do we talk about the rest of the club?

I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to read a discussion about something other than Bill Kenwright's bank balance, however intrinsically linked to the club it may be.

Sometimes we play football matches too lol
Dead right Groucho. Martinez has 20 mio to spend a year...so lets leave Board/investment/infrastructure etc out of discussions. With 20 mio to spend, Martinez should be capable of stamping his managerial quality (or lack thereof) on the playing quality of our XI...personally, I remain anything but convinced as to the cut of his tactical jib.

Dead right Groucho. Martinez has 20 mio to spend a year...so lets leave Board/investment/infrastructure etc out of discussions. With 20 mio to spend, Martinez should be capable of stamping his managerial quality (or lack thereof) on the playing quality of our XI...personally, I remain anything but convinced as to the cut of his tactical jib.
My view is, and perhaps this is too simplistic which I appreciate, that if Moyes could get to 4th with basically free transfers, Martinez can do it with the resources he has.

Just not this particular season. I know people bemoan the lack of signing a creative mid and I understand that - but how many other teams have them and are willing to sell. They tried hard for Yarmolenko but ultimately his club wouldn't sell. Which leaves who else? No good signing players for the sake of it when the one you want may be available in January or even free next summer.

Perhaps Yarmolenko has been identified as the absolute one for us, so Roberto is playing his long game rather than than splashing money for old rope - where did that tactic land us and Walter Smith?

My view is, and perhaps this is too simplistic which I appreciate, that if Moyes could get to 4th with basically free transfers, Martinez can do it with the resources he has.

Just not this particular season. I know people bemoan the lack of signing a creative mid and I understand that - but how many other teams have them and are willing to sell. They tried hard for Yarmolenko but ultimately his club wouldn't sell. Which leaves who else? No good signing players for the sake of it when the one you want may be available in January or even free next summer.

Perhaps Yarmolenko has been identified as the absolute one for us, so Roberto is playing his long game rather than than splashing money for old rope - where did that tactic land us and Walter Smith?
The football world has evolved a lot since 2004, but notwithstanding that, Martinez has at his playing disposal, a playing XI of quality Moyes could but dream of. How Martinez deploys his team's qualities/personnel is what continues to provide me misgiving. I genuinely think he has gone 'corporate' on us...a conservative, no risk, process over product mantra. I think he's lost his bottle. This is not necessarily a permanent disposition ... I hope he re-finds his old mojo again soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back