With Neville going- something to ponder

Status
Not open for further replies.

rochdaleblue

Player Valuation: £50m
Although it has been announced that Neville is leaving (rightly so in my opinion) it still leaves us worryingly with an ageing squad (none of our starting 11 under 25!). At the start of next season if you look at the respective ages of our supposedly strongest team, many of the team are heading towards the twilight of their careers.
Howard 34

Coleman 25
Jagileka 31
Distin 35
Baines 28

Piennar 31
Gibson 25
Felliani 25
Miralles 25

Jelavic 28
Anichebe 25

Bench
Osman 32
Heitinga 29
Naismith 26
Hibbert 32
Oviedo 23
Barkley 19
Vellios 21

Looking at this squad, not only do we have one of the smallest squads in the premiership, but it is also one of the eldest. I know there has been advances in training and nutrition of players in recent years to prolong their careers. Nevertheless be it Moyes or another manger is going to have to replace many of our squad in the next 2-3 years e.g. Howard, Distin, Hibbert, Osman, Piennar. We barely have the money to invest in the squad at present, so how on earth are we going to replace this 'ageing' team?

Although it has been announced that Neville is leaving (rightly so in my opinion) it still leaves us worryingly with an ageing squad (none of our starting 11 under 25!). At the start of next season if you look at the respective ages of our supposedly strongest team, many of the team are heading towards the twilight of their careers.
Howard 34

Coleman 25
Jagileka 31
Distin 35
Baines 28

Piennar 31
Gibson 25
Felliani 25
Miralles 25

Jelavic 28
Anichebe 25

Bench
Osman 32
Heitinga 29
Naismith 26
Hibbert 32
Oviedo 23
Barkley 19
Vellios 21

Looking at this squad, not only do we have one of the smallest squads in the premiership, but it is also one of the eldest. I know there has been advances in training and nutrition of players in recent years to prolong their careers. Nevertheless be it Moyes or another manger is going to have to replace many of our squad in the next 2-3 years e.g. Howard, Distin, Hibbert, Osman, Piennar. We barely have the money to invest in the squad at present, so how on earth are we going to replace this 'ageing' team?

8 = 25 and under
4 = 26-30
6 = 30+

So exactly a third of the squad listed there is over 30, but you left out Duffy and Gueye who are both in our first team squad (despite Gueye being out on loan) as well as Garbutt and McAleny (once more, considered to be part of the first team squad)

Mucha could also be added to that 26-30 list making it, not adding Hitz as he probably wont be offered another contract

12 = 25 and under
5 = 26-30
6 = 30+

Doesn't really look that bad does it?

Last edited:
I don't think there is much to worry about, for next season at least. Goalkeepers and center halves are generally at their peak late 20s/30s and then other than Pienaar in that team you've listed the oldest of the other players is 28. I don't think Fellaini will be here next season but the money we get will help us improve our squad with more young talent.

They are all good (Distin/Howard aside) for at least 2 more seasons before they are of concerning age, by which time the older ones will be replaced by younger ones..
Same as always happens, don't worry about it...
Unless Moyes goes anyway in which case.. things look bad.

We're an aging squad, yes. Pienaar is the real worry but Distin probably only has another year in him before he starts to fade too.

But that's why you play the kids. Maybe duffy can replace distin, or barkley osman if they get a bit of gametime and a bit of confidence, who knows?

And the tv money this summer should hopefully mean a little cash for raids into the lower leagues or abroad, if they don't.

Moyes made it clear a couple of weeks ago that the squad has to get deeper AND younger. That takes money and wage headroom.

It is why in addition to Neville and Fellaini we will also see Heitinga and Jelavic moved. Taken together that might give c. £30m after loyalty/agent fees. Say £20m to the manager (Mr. X). It also frees up c. £175k p.w. in wages (estimated).

Take this together with the new tv deal it means we could probably add 6 players in the 30-50k range (including a loan and a free) and still reduce our cripplingly high wage/turnover ratio.

Assuming we add 4 players < 25 and 2 in the 25-28 range the picture would look better. Whether the new players would actually improve us is a different question entirely of course!

I'd trust Moyes to use the money wisely which is why I hope he stays. I think he has identified the challenge correctly. Unfortunately I suspect someone else will be tackling the problem but I live in hope!

I think we've got the balance about right in terms of youth and experience in the squad. I'd like the balance for the first 11 to be a bit more youthful but it's not a major worry for me.

We will probably get top money for felliani to reinvest in younger players but not necessarily better players. Heitinga will probably go on the cheap to get him off the wage bill. That will be two players in the 25-29 age bracket released. I don't consider any of our younger players ready to make the step up to regulars in the first team as yet. Lets just hope Moyes (if he is still here) can snap up some other younger players to replace them from other european leagues. i.e Miralles. I've got to say I was very impressed with a number of players from Basle the other night when they played spurs. Maybe that is the calibre of player we should be looking to bring in to replace those 2!

Moyes made it clear a couple of weeks ago that the squad has to get deeper AND younger. That takes money and wage headroom.

It is why in addition to Neville and Fellaini we will also see Heitinga and Jelavic moved. Taken together that might give c. £30m after loyalty/agent fees. Say £20m to the manager (Mr. X). It also frees up c. £175k p.w. in wages (estimated).

Take this together with the new tv deal it means we could probably add 6 players in the 30-50k range (including a loan and a free) and still reduce our cripplingly high wage/turnover ratio.

Assuming we add 4 players < 25 and 2 in the 25-28 range the picture would look better. Whether the new players would actually improve us is a different question entirely of course!

I'd trust Moyes to use the money wisely which is why I hope he stays. I think he has identified the challenge correctly. Unfortunately I suspect someone else will be tackling the problem but I live in hope!

I absolutely agree mate and I think Moyesy (hopefully) will have even more than £30m for new players, he should have that money only from player sales plus I really hope than Kenwright and company will give him at least £10m from that new TV deal.. Moyesy could do wonders with that money, the only player, when he failed with a big money in Everton is Bilyaltedinov.. Yakubu, Fellaini, Johnson, Beattie.. all were really nice bussiness for us IMO..

For some reason I thought this was going to be a thread about who's going to do the pointing for us :blink:

I really don't see the problem here, most of those players with the exception of Peanuts, Distin, and Osman have at least another 4-5 years of playing time in them. And the three I've listed can all play another season at least, which is ample time to replace them. In face we've already got the players in the squad to phase them all out next season if needed.

Not sure we're at the doom and gloom phase yet :)

It might be a bit of a gamble but rather than paying £4m for Lescott this summer we could wait another year until he's out of contract. Distin only has a year left and we don't want to be paying big wages for both of them if one is going to be out of the side. Part of the problem though might be that Joleon would rather move this summer rather than spend another year as a fringe player. On the other hand, if we were going to persist with the wingback system we could use Sylvain's height in the centre whilst Lescott is perfectly comfortable between left centreback and leftback.

Once Distin and Neville go the average age will come right down. Defenders and 'keepers can easily play until their mid thirties and neither Pienaar or Osman have a game based on pace. The issue could be whether enough players in their early twenties are coming through.

tbh mate I think Moyes will get the full amount after agent fee's etc. we still have money due from the rodwell deal add to the increase in tv cash and we will surel yhave done better this year in terms of being on the tele more/higher league finish.

I expect Moyes to have around £30 mil to spend if Felli goes personally, with him bringing in 3-4 players with the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.