World class potential

Status
Not open for further replies.
You seen any signs to the opposite? Rom need a system that suits him. We are not playing that system.
Or we are developing his all round game to help him realise his full potential and help him to play a number of systems and his game suffers a little initially?

I think Stones will be the best of the three.

Lukaku is too clumsy/awkward. I think what he is now is pretty much what he's always going to be.

Barkley has his moments, and I really do enjoy watching him play, but sometimes I look at what someone like Christian Eriksen (who is only a year older) offers his team and wonder if the hype is justified.

It takes an optimistic risk taking manager to replace a seasoned pro with a young player. Fergusan cleared out players like Kanchelskis, Ince, Hughes and McClair to allow his younger players to develop.

Fergusan also had a vision of “the bigger picture” more so than most other managers who look merely at the next game, or next set of games. I think Martinez has this quality too.

At present Martinez is coming in for some justifiable criticism. However the man is a winner, he’s a risk taker. To Moyes’s credit he has built a fantastic youth network and academy which is brimming with potentially good players, but you need to be a very special manager to bring them through. I hope Martinez can be the man to transform us.

Moyes didn't build a fantastic youth system. It's more correct to say that Moyes ignored a good youth system and criticised it for not producing what he wanted for the first team. The development of our youth system was largely due to a bloke called Ray Hall. He's the one who first spotted and later developed the likes of Barkley, Ledson, Dowell, Long, McAleny and almost all the current U16/17 side from a very young age. Most people know of Ray Hall cos of him nurturing a young Rooney but he's also had a big impact on alot of other of those youth players who appeared against krasnodar. Martinez has seen and realised the potential of those young academy players that Ray Hall initially, then Irvine, Sheeds, Duncan etc have developed. Like you say, Martinez has taken the risk with the likes of Coleman, Barkley, etc whereas there was a lot of tension between the academy and Moyes. That in no way is knocking Moyes and what he did for the club by the way.

Yeah, that'll be it. How long you anticipate 'initially' lasting for?
As long as it takes id imagine. He was an investment for what the manager thought he could become. Im quite happy to let him work towards that under some really excellent striker coaches/players.

Last season I also wouldn't have swapped Seamus Coleman for any other right back in the world, literally any. Surely that means he's potential world class once he works through his current form/injury.

I also think James McCarthy has the potential to be world class because DMs mature a lot slower than other positions because there's so much to learn and experience needed for that role.

Maybe I'm a bit ott though because I also rate myself as a potentially world class lover.

Leighton Baines is world class in my opinion, because world class to me means you are one of the very best in the world in your role. If there are any better LBs than Leighton, they're not better by much.

Coleman has the potential to be world class, but is already excellent and can only improve.

Ross is on the fence for me. World class potential, but does he have the ethic and discipline? I think he's better in that regard than Rooney at his age, to be fair, though some might argue Rooney isn't/never was world class.

Lukaku again, world class potential, but time will tell. However any striker with a 1/2 ratio in the Prem is a 'top' striker. If he doesn't become world class he will have wasted his potential, and from what I know about Rom, I think he's got the right attitude to do everything in his power to achieve that potential.

McCarthy, if he balances his game out a bit more, can get there too.

John Stones will be world class. I have no doubt. The only way he won't be is through injuries. He has maturity, ability and an outstanding sense of professionalism.

Ultimately though it's a subjective and arbitrary distinction. Ultimately if the above players fulfill their potential, they will be stonkingly good players. So let's hope they do.

All I know is that it is bloody exciting. We need to be patient, trust in martinez and the players, because the one thing we have all agreed upon on here is that the magic (if it does come) will happen in 4 to 5 years. Just need to keep making small steps of improvement each year and gaining that experience, like Europa this year. As somebody said need to add wingers next.

Once he works hard on his first touch? What has he been doing in training the past 5 years, working on how to mistime a jumping header?
And people can't forget his age cause it gets bought up all the time but people don't acknowledge that unlike most 21 year old he has played about 200 first team games at a high level.
you know that stat about him scoring more goals by 21 than aguero, Messi and Co? I bet anything their all round game was better than his at 21. And that they didn't have a magnet for a foot that repelled the ball when it came near.

Some people just allow no error in people's ability though. Do you expect him to be the finished article at 21? How many players in the world have so few weaknesses at that age? Getting on his back and expecting him to be world class straight away is doing him no good. Of course his first touch hasn't been good enough, but that's not all been down to him. Some of the balls our midfields smash at him give him no chance. You still get some fans getting on his back for that though.

Players have different qualities. His best is to score when he gets a chance. How many genuine chances has he missed since he's been here? I can barely think of any at all. As soon as he gets one on one he buries it. If our players actually gave him more chances he would score even more. I want him to be an Everton player as much as any Evertonian but in a better team he'd have double the goals he's got now. In City's team he'd be close to Aguero and Costa in the scoring charts.

If fans like yourself can't see the quality and potential of the lad then that's up to you. I reckon loads will be raving about him after a good run of form. Ignoring the fact that players go through form periods and likewise with the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.