World class potential

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully, we are building our squad towards the goal of winning trophies. I am thinking a lot how could our XI look in the close future. You can clearly see where we need to buy some new talents without that, and we all know we need to buy preferebly young world class talents. I really hope we will buy another potential young stars like Lukaku, Stones, or even Besic and Galloway and I have smiilar hopes for our academy, as hopefully there will be more players like Barkley, Ledson, Garbutt, or even Kenny, Browning or Dowell. When we will soon replace Howard, Robles, Hibbert, Distin, Alcaraz, Gibson, Osman, Barry, Pienaar, Atsu, McGeady, Etoo and Kone - we need to replace them with potentially world class talent. It is the only chance, how we can improve in the long-term and the long-term philosophy should be our main interest when we are buying new players, I would especially try to more focus on buying youngsters and experienced players on a Bosman, plus every window would spend majority of money on one/two top players - just how we did the last window with Lukaku.

How could our squad look in 2018?
First future XI: ??? - Coleman, Stones, ???, Baines - McCarthy, Besic, Barkley - Mirallas, Lukaku, ???
Second future XI: ??? - ???/Kenny, ???/Galloway, ???, Garbutt - ???/Walsh, Ledson, ???/Dowell, Besic - ???, Naismith, ???
+ Browning, Ledson, Dowell, Naismith

So a plan?
2015: replace Robles, Distin, Alcaraz, Gibson, Oviedo, Atsu, Pienaar
2016: replace Howard, Hibbert, McGeady, Osman, Kone
2017: replace Jagielka, Barry, Etoo

Who could be their replacements?
2015: Robles -> Karius, Distin -> Nastasic, Alcaraz -> Moisander, Gibson -> Cleverley, Oviedo -> Ledson, Atsu -> Shaqiri, Pienaar -> Konoplyanka
2016: Howard -> Begovic, Hibbert -> Kenny, McGeady -> Deulofeu, Osman -> Ledson, Kone -> Long
2017: Jagielka -> Galloway, Barry -> Dowell, Etoo -> Rooney

Could it look like that on 1/1/2018?
First XI: Begovic - Coleman, Stones, Nastasic, Garbutt - McCarthy, Besic, Barkley - Shaqiri, Lukaku, Mirallas
Second XI: Karius - Kenny, Galloway, Moisander, Baines - Cleverley, Ledson, Dowell - Deulofeu, Rooney, Konoplyanka
+ Browning, Walsh, Naismith, Long

We could defo do some damage with a squad like that. ;)

Hopefully, we are building our squad towards the goal of winning trophies. I am thinking a lot how could our XI look in the close future. You can clearly see where we need to buy some new talents without that, and we all know we need to buy preferebly young world class talents. I really hope we will buy another potential young stars like Lukaku, Stones, or even Besic and Galloway and I have smiilar hopes for our academy, as hopefully there will be more players like Barkley, Ledson, Garbutt, or even Kenny, Browning or Dowell. When we will soon replace Howard, Robles, Hibbert, Distin, Alcaraz, Gibson, Osman, Barry, Pienaar, Atsu, McGeady, Etoo and Kone - we need to replace them with potentially world class talent. It is the only chance, how we can improve in the long-term and the long-term philosophy should be our main interest when we are buying new players, I would especially try to more focus on buying youngsters and experienced players on a Bosman, plus every window would spend majority of money on one/two top players - just how we did the last window with Lukaku.

How could our squad look in 2018?
First future XI: ??? - Coleman, Stones, ???, Baines - McCarthy, Besic, Barkley - Mirallas, Lukaku, ???
Second future XI: ??? - ???/Kenny, ???/Galloway, ???, Garbutt - ???/Walsh, Ledson, ???/Dowell, Besic - ???, Naismith, ???
+ Browning, Ledson, Dowell, Naismith

So a plan?
2015: replace Robles, Distin, Alcaraz, Gibson, Oviedo, Atsu, Pienaar
2016: replace Howard, Hibbert, McGeady, Osman, Kone
2017: replace Jagielka, Barry, Etoo

Who could be their replacements?
2015: Robles -> Karius, Distin -> Nastasic, Alcaraz -> Moisander, Gibson -> Cleverley, Oviedo -> Ledson, Atsu -> Shaqiri, Pienaar -> Konoplyanka
2016: Howard -> Begovic, Hibbert -> Kenny, McGeady -> Deulofeu, Osman -> Ledson, Kone -> Long
2017: Jagielka -> Galloway, Barry -> Dowell, Etoo -> Rooney

Could it look like that on 1/1/2018?
First XI: Begovic - Coleman, Stones, Nastasic, Garbutt - McCarthy, Besic, Barkley - Shaqiri, Lukaku, Mirallas
Second XI: Karius - Kenny, Galloway, Moisander, Baines - Cleverley, Ledson, Dowell - Deulofeu, Rooney, Konoplyanka
+ Browning, Walsh, Naismith, Long

We could defo do some damage with a squad like that. ;)
New football manager is good isnt it

Once he works hard on his first touch? What has he been doing in training the past 5 years, working on how to mistime a jumping header?
And people can't forget his age cause it gets bought up all the time but people don't acknowledge that unlike most 21 year old he has played about 200 first team games at a high level.
you know that stat about him scoring more goals by 21 than aguero, Messi and Co? I bet anything their all round game was better than his at 21. And that they didn't have a magnet for a foot that repelled the ball when it came near.

To be fair, he's really good at this

IMO we have 3 players of World class potential - Stones, Barkley and Lukaku - and RM's job must be to ;
a. keep them
b. build a team around them and
c. make sure that they reach their potential.

If he is able to do that surrounding them with good players such as Coleman , McCarthy , Besic , Mirallas and a couple of decent signings we will surely have the best , most successful team in generations .

If you look at the current successful teams they arguably have one maybe two world class players - Arsenal Sanchez and City Aguero and Kompany .

Chelsea are the exception with Courtois , Fabregas , Hazard and Costa ( perhaps even Matic ) but very few English teams have as many potential superstars as Everton.

The key questions for me are whether they will achieve their potential ( not sure about Lukaku ) and is RM the right man to build a team around them ( I desperately want him to be able to do that).

We could have incredible times ahead .

I still think Wilshire could be world class but unfortunately for him it's looking like injuries will keep him from reaching the very top and probably shorten his career by a good 3-5 years.

City also have Kompany and Toure who I would classify as world class. Put it this way if they aren't then either will Stones, Barkley or Lukaku.

I'm not sure about Fabregas being World Class but I would classify Matic as World Class.

As for us - Give it time, if they reach that potential then we'll have a really difficult time keeping them long enough anyway. IMO We have to strengthen this year to get into the CL either this or next year. If we can't do that I can't see them staying beyond.

"Buy a bloody left winger Bill"

Ross is on the fence for me. World class potential, but does he have the ethic and discipline? I think he's better in that regard than Rooney at his age, to be fair, though some might argue Rooney isn't/never was world class.

Lets face it though, if any of them have the kind of career Rooney has had we'd all be happy. He might not be in the Messi/Ronaldo league but he's still likely to end up the record goal scorer for both England and United, whilst collecting a whole host of trophies along the way. He hasn't done badly.

Deffo, would love us to sign him. But he got plans on breaking into the Barcelona team.
He can't even break into the Sevilla team. There's no way he's staying at Barca. He might get loaned out again next season but I think they'll sell him rather than keep him and see his value drop like Bojan.

I still would love him back. He needs the right manager.

Lets face it though, if any of them have the kind of career Rooney has had we'd all be happy. He might not be in the Messi/Ronaldo league but he's still likely to end up the record goal scorer for both England and United, whilst collecting a whole host of trophies along the way. He hasn't done badly.
Yea and who in the last 30 years are in the Messi/Ronaldo league. Zidane or Ronaldo9 maybe?

Some people just allow no error in people's ability though. Do you expect him to be the finished article at 21? How many players in the world have so few weaknesses at that age? Getting on his back and expecting him to be world class straight away is doing him no good. Of course his first touch hasn't been good enough, but that's not all been down to him. Some of the balls our midfields smash at him give him no chance. You still get some fans getting on his back for that though.

Players have different qualities. His best is to score when he gets a chance. How many genuine chances has he missed since he's been here? I can barely think of any at all. As soon as he gets one on one he buries it. If our players actually gave him more chances he would score even more. I want him to be an Everton player as much as any Evertonian but in a better team he'd have double the goals he's got now. In City's team he'd be close to Aguero and Costa in the scoring charts.

If fans like yourself can't see the quality and potential of the lad then that's up to you. I reckon loads will be raving about him after a good run of form. Ignoring the fact that players go through form periods and likewise with the team.

You're doing exactly the thing i mentioned in my post : talking about how he's only 21 yet ignoring the fact he has 5 and a half years top flight experience with 200 first team and international games under his belt.

(Sure, 73 games were in Belgium but thats still probably Championship level)

Thats not your average 21 year old is it?

He's an anomoly. His goalscoring record for a 21 year old is incredible, but the fact other parts of his game quite frankly stink after over 5 years experience at a very high level just doesn't seem right.

I like him, was glad we got him. And to be honest if he stays exactly the same as he is now through his career with us i'll be happy.

But the fact he is so poor at one of the basic fundmental parts of the game (controlling and passing the ball) and therefor other parts of a strikers role like hold up play and bringing others into the game means i'm pretty worried he isn't gonna improve to anywhere near the level people think he will solely because of good goalscoring record.

You're doing exactly the thing i mentioned in my post : talking about how he's only 21 yet ignoring the fact he has 5 and a half years top flight experience with 200 first team and international games under his belt.

(Sure, 73 games were in Belgium but thats still probably Championship level)
Anderlecht is way above championship level lol

But the fact he is so poor at one of the basic fundmental parts of the game (controlling and passing the ball) and therefor other parts of a strikers role like hold up play and bringing others into the game means i'm pretty worried he isn't gonna improve to anywhere near the level people think he will solely because of good goalscoring record.

Seems like he's improved quite a bit this season already. He's never going to be proficient with the ball, but he's made some nice distributions and assisted on a few goals. Maybe he did that last year and I missed it, but this seems an improvement to me. He'll probably never be able to do anything like Coleman did last year against Arsenal, but Rom's production, ultimately, is as much related to the development of Barkley and McCarthy as it is his own.

NegativeAliveCrow.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.