World class potential

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like he's improved quite a bit this season already. He's never going to be proficient with the ball, but he's made some nice distributions and assisted on a few goals. Maybe he did that last year and I missed it, but this seems an improvement to me. He'll probably never be able to do anything like Coleman did last year against Arsenal, but Rom's production, ultimately, is as much related to the development of Barkley and McCarthy as it is his own.

I don't think he has improved on last season really.

He's had his moments and games where he's done well, good hold up and decent passing.But he did that last season as well at times.

And he's still having long spells of poor play.

That "pass" against Burnley was Phil Neville-esque, not Andrea Pirlo-esque (or Sergio Aguero-esque).

Sure, i don't think we're using him the best way we can but he's got a hell of a long way to go before being near world class. Cause he struggles to control a football.

I think big Rom will come good. I remember me and the brother laughing at Drogba when he first joined Chelsea. Couldn't hit a barn door and had the touch of a sledge hammer yet we all know how good he ended up.And he was like 25/26 years old at that time. Rom shares a lot of the same attributes but I'd say he's twice the player Didi was at that age (21).

We've also got to remember that Rom moved to his boyhood club at a really young age. Like one of us joining Everton. Pure dreams come true. He was shipped out on loan and told if he performed he'd get his shot. He did, twice, with WBA and us only to be told that he wasn't wanted and to find another club. Goes to the world cup and takes a lot of the blame for a disappointing Belgium and gets replaced by a 17 year old wunderkind who as far as I can tell is all legs. If this was any of us we'd be crying into our pillow at night and having a G and T for breakfast. The lads only human.

He doesn't really need me defending him though cause he's shown, as out of form that he is, give him a chance and he'll score. Love big Rom me.

The Man U team of '92 season when Beckham, Scholes, the Nevilles and Butt all broke through seem to be the benchmark for what is possible but arguably only Beckham was ever world class (and alot of that was because of the hype around him).
That doesn't even make sense. Either Beckham was world class or he wasn't. His celebrity hype is a separate issue.

And Paul Scholes was a far superior player anyway. There's an argument that Giggs was too.

Ronaldinho for a few years maybe? During the height of his Barca days.
True for literally 2 years but even during that time I remember a headline on 4-4-2 where he was quoted "best player in the world? I'm not even the best player at Barcelona"

And a 17 year old Messi was standing beside him.

Seems like he's improved quite a bit this season already. He's never going to be proficient with the ball, but he's made some nice distributions and assisted on a few goals. Maybe he did that last year and I missed it, but this seems an improvement to me. He'll probably never be able to do anything like Coleman did last year against Arsenal, but Rom's production, ultimately, is as much related to the development of Barkley and McCarthy as it is his own.

NegativeAliveCrow.gif
His Gaelic obviously is still pretty good :)

Even allowing that the premise is correct, those 3 on their own will not be enough unless the other 8+ are of a decent standard.

Southall, Ratcliffe, Rush and or Hughes, were as near to world class as makes no difference, but the rest? Of them I can only remember, for obvious reasons, Phsyco Pat.

Review in 3 yrs.

I hate arguments over who is "world-class" or not. No one can agree what world-class means to begin with, and it leads to the silly comparison of players who play completely different styles of football in completely different positions.
Styles and positions you hit the nail right on the head.Rom, Stones ,Besic ,Mccarthy ,Coleman and Ross could all be TOP TOP Players but it doesn,t happen overnight. they have all shown great potential they just need to do it week in week out

Thats only because he was fully grown very early, Ross and Stones have only just started to fill out. Its a little bit like comparing Ronaldo and Rooney when they were both 21. Ronaldo was a shadow of the player he is today whereas with Rooney, he is pretty much the same player then as he is today. This is mostly to do differences the physical development of the players. I think you can see with Ross and Stones that there is a lot of physical and technical development ahead whereas with Rom, he can only really develop technically from now on.

The main reason Ronaldo didn't grow out was because United wanted him that way, mate. They scaled down his physical development because Fergie wanted to keep him wirey so that he could win those 'cheap' free-kicks more easily. The smaller he was, the more likely he was to win a penalty from a slow defender.

Obviously he started to fill out naturally, but Madrid wanted him bigger. It's the same with Bale now.

Status
Not open for further replies.