Would Tim Cahill be a starter under Roberto?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiggyRat

Player Valuation: £35m
I know hypotheticals inherently attract too many 'what ifs' for a considered discussion, but as much as I rate TC, I'm wondering if his type of play would fit. Most of you guys watch the games day in, day out, but I'm limited to whatever highlights the OS decide to release, so it's hard to compare from a distance.

Any thoughts chaps?

No, love him but he was so so footballing ability wise, his attitude, desire, aerial ability was second to none which meant he was boss for us for a few seasons, but in a more total football style of play like we have now he wouldnt last

In his prime, maybe but I don't think he would be quite right for Roberto's style a la Fellaini. I do, however, think Cahill would have suited a team like Utd where they have historically got a lot of crosses in from wide areas.

Just like Fellaini never stood a chance in this team.

Cahill is without doubt on of the bravest players we have had in years and if anyone deserved a win at Anfield it was him.

I doubt it

Love Cahill, but he wasn't technically competent enough to play this sort of football. Unlikely Martinez would have bought him.

Cahill from 2004-2008 would be a great addition to most teams.

He was quality before injuries took their toll. Even after, he was always a threat, but he lost some of the energy and speed he had. At 1 stage, 1 of his injuries meant he had to learn how to run differently.

He deffo gave everything he had for Everton, and he would again if he could. Id see him doing a similar job McCarthy, with the way he would press. But the old system had Carsley (Barry) sitting along side the creative mid, so it would the equivalent of having Barkley (Gravesen/Arteta) sit deep, and McCarthey (Cahill) playing off the striker.

Different players, so might work the same way like.

I would LOVE to see Yakubu in this team though...

Cahill from 2004-2008 would be a great addition to most teams.

He was quality before injuries took their toll. Even after, he was always a threat, but he lost some of the energy and speed he had. At 1 stage, 1 of his injuries meant he had to learn how to run differently.

He deffo gave everything he had for Everton, and he would again if he could. Id see him doing a similar job McCarthy, with the way he would press. But the old system had Carsley (Barry) sitting along side the creative mid, so it would the equivalent of having Barkley (Gravesen/Arteta) sit deep, and McCarthey (Cahill) playing off the striker.

Different players, so might work the same way like.

I would LOVE to see Yakubu in this team though...

The Yak in his prime would get 30 in a season in this Everton team.

I guess it boils down to what we each consider his best position to be. At best, an irritating goalscorer (irritating the opposition mind...) sneaking in behind the Striker, at worst, an impact sub (or something else). I'd hate to have seen him missing out, like Hibbo is now, with all that restrained 'blueness'. Perhaps its best he's giving some new fans the benefit of his passion.

Thanks kever10, a very considered reply.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.