Zonal marking

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve often wondered whether it’s the system getting unfair criticism. Plenty of teams concede loads of goals from set pieces that go man to man, and some of the best Real Madrid, Chelsea etc. teams went zonal and I assume could defend set pieces (maybe that was their weakness, not sure). Maybe a mix of both is sensible. Have your best header of the ball free to attack anything, have a first man doing that space, stick someone penalty spot ish and go big for big everywhere else.

However, I think you’ve got to have the players to do it if you’re zonal marking. Big difference between Ramos, Carvalho, Pepe etc. and our lot of absolute jokers. And maybe the top quality players saved a bad system.

In short, it’s obviously not working for us.

If Rafael thinks it’s the best way to defend corners we must trust his judgment. No system of defending set pieces can compensate for incompetent defenders.

The equaliser from the corner was because Digne just looked at the fella and didnt attack it. However we are to small to do it, but how do you protect a midget goalie who can’t claim or punch crosses?

Id just say marking full stop.
I was going to start a defenders thread as its a massive issue and has been for a while.
We dont ever look like we have a clean sheet in us.
Digne cant defend. Simple as that.
Godfrey still has norwich city written all over him. I was reading comments on him last season and wondered if i was watching a different player. Headless chicken. Has a bit of pace. But so bloody norwich still.
Keane. Ronald koeman. No thought at all went into this signing.
Coleman. Its no longer 2010. Players he played with at his best have all retired.
Mina. Prob the best of a bad bunch but he doesnt ever fill me with confidence either.
The rest are all meh.
Branthwaite to early to judge. But we'll prob ruin him anyway.
I hate Everton defenders. Ive said it for a while. Really poor recruitment.

Zonal marking can be effective, but, it needs commanding defenders who can keep switched on, not allow themselves to be pulled out of position by opposing players movement and they need to have confidence in their colleagues to be able patrol their zones. It’ll never work with our defence. They need to be clearly told before the game who they will mark at set pieces.

With limited defenders, keep it simple.

When Klopp went to Liverpool he never changed his style to suit donkeys like Ngog and Sakho - he was given time and money to boot them out and bring in his own players.

Thats exactly what needs to happen here - Keane/Godfrey/Holgate bang average.

I would punt either Holgate or Keane in January and reinvest in a solid CB to partner Mina long term.

Never, ever seen the advantage of it. Requires too much intelligence and communication for the average footballer to pull off.

Status
Not open for further replies.