2023/24 Abdoulaye Doucoure

I dont see him as a midfielder any longer.

Hes a support forward pushed up close to DCL.

Is 7 goals good enough for that position?

Not for me. However hes missed so many since December...hes getting into the right positions.

Weve seen his technical skills compared with Chermiti, McNeil and Dobbin.

Think perhaps next season he'll be rotated alot more.

Personally its hard not to sell him, the saved wages and a £10mil+ fee would be ideal for a 31 year old.

No reason why the other 3 cant match 7 goals over a season in his position.

….do you not see what he does when the opposition have the ball? He got alongside DCL to score the goal, then at least twice cleared breaks from his own area. In this squad, he’s 2 players in one.

We’d all love the no10 we all crave but it’s about blend. Doucoure is as bad as I’ve seen in possession, he’s very poor but he’s vital in this squad because of the options.

Not sure if this is true but it was mentioned that in the games he’s scored we’ve won 19 points. He’s in the team for a reason, he plays because he can join in the top third and get behind the ball when the opposition has it. I’d love it if we didn’t need him but we do. He frustrates me, I genuinely think he frustrates Dyche but the day we don’t need him is the day we’re at the next level.

Last edited:

Damn, Forgot about Doucs in the 'Most Talented Player thread'

Am sure I saw on here before that he had put out a tweet or something of his Ability and effort. so it's not lost on him.

7 goals in 30 1/2 prem games. That's all that matters to me and plenty of wide forwards would be happy with that.

Those seven goals contributed to 19 points.

If he leaves then you need someone in the final third capable of that productivity.

Harrison and McNeill scored three league goals apiece and they probably played more league minutes so already I can see a big issue next season if Harrison returns and they're asked to step up.

Lots of calls for Barkley to come home...5 league goals with pretty much a role that absolves him of any defensive responsibility so again stats not as good as Doucs.

I get the negativity about him as of course his technique is mediocre but let's be clear on this. Midfielders capable of hitting 7 in 30 game are not found in bargain basement/free transfer market unless you luck out on one.

Also a struggle to see the defence being a top 5 unit again next season. Take Branth out and it will become far more vulnerable against pace so that's another problem if someone isn't scoring regularly at the top end.

Scored 7 goals but the attack constantly breaks down when he gets involved.

Questions Is if we had an actually footballer playing in the same role… would we score more as a team? I think the answer is yes

….do you not see what he does when the opposition have the ball? He got alongside DCL to score the goal, then at least twice cleared breaks from his own area. In this squad, he’s 2 players in one.

We’d all love the no10 we all crave but it’s about blend. Doucoure is as bad as I’ve seen in possession, he’s very poor but he’s vital in this squad because of the options.

Not sure if this is true but it was mentioned that in the games he’s scored we’ve won 19 points. He’s in the team for a reason, he plays because he can join in the top third and get behind the ball when the opposition has it. I’d love it if we didn’t need him but we do. He frustrates me, I genuinely think he frustrates Dyche but the day we don’t need him is the day we’re at the next level.

Number 10 is meant to be the most creative player in the side …. Playing someone that literally cannot control a ball or move his legs correctly … is not good.

Second lowest scorers in the league and he, Harrison, McNeil are a massive part of that.

Harrison and docs should be replaced and moved on in the summer

Barkley only scored 5 this season in a near identical set up for him.

Glyfi in his seasons here scored 4, 13, 2 and 6 in the premier league (and a fair few were penalties).

Look back to many of Cahill's peak seasons and his goal return in premier league was 7-9.

He's joint scored with the main forward so I just feel given the perilous make up of the squad it feels too big to lose him currently. Look again at the situation in Jan 2025 under hopefully new ownership.

Im under the impression Barkley plays deeper for Luton.

Sigurdsson shouldnt be a benchmark for anything. Cahill was in a side where goals came from different places

D

Don’t be a fool. A single player contributing 19 point is no mean feat for a team struggling with relegation.

Doucoure may not look great but his contribution to our survival is what matter most.

What? Doucoure as a single player has contibuted 19pts all alone?

You think that yet im the fool lol

I liked Doucoure when we signed him all the way through when ancelotti used him as a DM.

What i am seeing is indeed someone who is good covering alot of yards defensively (like Gana). But how is he "two players in one" when so many attacks break down with him?

Doucoure has 7 goals + 2 assists
McNeil has 3 goals + 6 assists.
Harrison has 3 goals + 3 assists

So across those three its 13 goals + 11 assists.

How do we match / better that output through Chermiti, McNeil & Dobbin + a replacement right winger?

Imagine if we played a player with 2 functioning legs in that position.

Imagine having a prime injury resistant James Rodriguez in there.

If we had money he'd be first out the door.
strive to be better than this Everton. Even with no money.

No arguing the results when he plays are better than without him.

So there has to be another way to play and a different type of replacement and balance between those 3 behind the forward to be more effective.

He misses so many chances & his passing and game intelligence on the ball is shocking.

Scored 7 goals but the attack constantly breaks down when he gets involved.

Questions Is if we had an actually footballer playing in the same role… would we score more as a team? I think the answer is yes

McNeill played a nice pass through to DCL in the build up so to me the only alternative in the squad is to try McNeill a bit in number 10 role in pre season/early August games and then make a decision right at the end of the window. Don't want Doucs being moved back to the middle two as cheap Onana replacement as he'd get exposed there as in previous seasons.

However do that and you need TWO rapid pace merchants out wide. Not convinced that will happen though due to finances and Dyche rather getting in wide players who'll hold the FBs hand for most of the games home and away.

McNeill played a nice pass through to DCL in the build up so to me the only alternative in the squad is to try McNeill a bit in number 10 role in pre season/early August games and then make a decision right at the end of the window. Don't want Doucs being moved back to the middle two as cheap Onana replacement as he'd get exposed there as in previous seasons.

However do that and you need TWO rapid pace merchants out wide. Not convinced that will happen though due to finances and Dyche rather getting in wide players who'll hold the FBs hand for most of the games home and away.

The problem with McNeil playing as a10 is that he is so one footed he will be easier to nullify … I know David silva was very one footed but he is a different animal all together.

Still McNeil over focus and two actual wingers that can beat a man would be a massive upgrade

I dont see him as a midfielder any longer.

Hes a support forward pushed up close to DCL.

Is 7 goals good enough for that position?

Not for me. However hes missed so many since December...hes getting into the right positions.

Weve seen his technical skills compared with Chermiti, McNeil and Dobbin.

Think perhaps next season he'll be rotated alot more.

Personally its hard not to sell him, the saved wages and a £10mil+ fee would be ideal for a 31 year old.

No reason why the other 3 cant match 7 goals over a season in his position.
If we can sell and get Barkley on a free it’s should be an easy choice, unfortunately he suits dyche and I think he’d rather keep doucoure than get a Barkley, who may not work as hard at times.

Doucoure misses gilt chance after gilt chance and ruins every attack and then he gets given a sitter of a goal to score and everyone thinks he’s great again

I don’t get it

I don’t get dyches obsession with constantly playing him either

I just have to accept it I guess
Because he suits his style and runs all day and is big and strong. I have no doubt he will play every game in that position next season.

Arguably one of the best performances of the season was Newcastle at home when Harrison played there.