2023/24 Kevin Thelwell

Would be a miracle to sell Holgate or Keane with their salaries. It's not reasonable to expect sales. Doucoure is pretty much worth nothing as well consider his huge wages, most teams in the league couldn't afford him.
But that's my point, this should be his job to get players out the door, because he certainly won't be signing any up coming players

I think it's odd coming out with that statement unless there was already a deal done. Maybe this is another reason why Onana has spent a lot of gametime on the bench recently.
Onana is gone that's for sure...question is for how much and if we can afford to wait after the euros to maximise the money...problem is that we probably owe quite a bit still to lille, so profits if any will be minimum. I guess might be a way to continue reduce the wage bill

I do wonder sometimes. People want honesty and when honesty is given it’s not good enough.

When he says we need to trade, let’s be honest, what do people want him to say?

“Let’s spend and get deductions again”?

Pragmatism is what’s needed at present.
We’re not not spending because of this though, we’re not spending because we are servicing astronomical levels of debt and are entering a period of time were we will have no income

But if the option was available to over spend to gain an extra 20 points, 100% I would want the club to breach PSR

I do wonder sometimes. People want honesty and when honesty is given it’s not good enough.

When he says we need to trade, let’s be honest, what do people want him to say?

“Let’s spend and get deductions again”?

Pragmatism is what’s needed at present.

I've appreciated most of his comms tbh. His episode in the BBC pod was probably the most interesting for me, also. He comes across well to me, anyways.

Personally I’d get Moyes in as DOF.

Lovely idea in theory, I think at Everton though it would just undermine Dyche's position. Imagine we went on another bad run, people would be calling for Dyche out and Moyes in.

Are there any examples of an experienced manager moving on to a DoF / Sporting Director role?

Lovely idea in theory, I think at Everton though it would just undermine Dyche's position. Imagine we went on another bad run, people would be calling for Dyche out and Moyes in.

Are there any examples of an experienced manager moving on to a DoF / Sporting Director role?
Wreck it Ralf the fella at United?

He seems to change jobs weekly.

But as you say, they would disagree a lot and it wouldnt work.

At least the last comment is talking about selling to improve us. But if not building through young players and instead extending the likes of Young & Coleman then he and Dyche can stick it.

What Players do you reckon you guys would be selling?

Surely the obvious 2 that jump out that are worth quite a bit are Branthwaite and Onana?

£70-80m for Branthwaite? £50-60m Onana?

Pickford, Onana, Keane, Holgate, Maupay & perhaps Doucoure, Beto & DCL would be my guess in terms of welcoming offers.

Hopefully we keep hold of Branthwaite.

Would love Brathwaite but he deserves game time, he's such a talent.

Funnily Enough could see INEOS coming in with a derisory bid to kick start their summer and you guys laughing it out.

Can't see him starting over Gabriel or Saliba at this moment, and I doubt we'd put the money up for him you'd guys want, if he was to be our first choice pairing then yeah.

100% would take a crack at Onana for £50-60m though, he's a beast

I used to post about how Gabriel and Saliba could be good for us before you signed them both.

Think Branthwaite is better than both.

Onana as a 6 with Rice and Odegaard either side of him as 8s would be a great midfield. He’s miles better than Partey. We need a right winger tho. Can we have Rees Nelson for basically nothing on top of our 60 mill in used notes by the end of June please?

Yes i posted the same a couple of times.

Swap Partey for Onana and the Arsenal midfield goes up a level.

For that alone hes worth £70mil-80mil also, bearing in mind his age & how much Arsenal are able to spend.

In this case I'd be hoping that Thelwell would be trying for the likes of:

Right back: Brooke Norton-Cuffy / Reuell Walters.

Right Wing: Cozier-Duberry

Defensive midfield: Lewis-Skelly

Attacking midfield: Nwaneri

All of those players could find a place in our squad at worst as backup. All England youth players and even if we need the cash we still need replacements.

When doing business with top 6 sides we should always be trying to include their best prospects -- who can come straight into our first team if theyre eager to play.

Personally I’d get Moyes in as DOF.
In terms of shrewd transfers, I'd be all for that. I doubt Moyes himself would take such a job, however.

And you're also right about the pragmatism: we may rightly dislike having to sell our best assets, and equally we are right to be worried about who'll come in.

But that the situation at hand, and we best get use to it because until the ownership situation is sorted we're going to be in a mess, and likely for a period after it.

The best I'm hoping for now is that we sell Onana, for a good fee, and one or two others, while we retain Branthwaite for another season.