2023/24 Seamus Coleman

I imagine this to be the case.

I said the other day that I can also see Young being retained so that we have at FB:

Right side: new RB / Coleman and Young back up

Left side: Mykolenko / Young back up

Young cannot be getting minutes next season. He’s 39 years of age.

Coleman is available for about 5 games per season so he’s not an option either.

Seamus Coleman is up there with the very best of any transfer that Everton or indeed any Premier League club have ever done. He has been brilliant for the club in very aspect of the game. He isn’t the player he was, no one is at his age and given the seriousness of his leg break the very fact that he can still turn out is a credit to him as a person. His attitude hasn’t changed, he would still run through brick walls for the club.
I read a post above that asked do nice guys get retained by top clubs, a stupid question as we aren’t in the same position as top clubs, we are going to sell our best players to balance the books, bring in cheaper lesser players and hope we uncover a couple of gems. We need any money we can afford to buy starting players, not back ups. In this scenario the importance of having a player with Seamus’ experience is invaluable, can he play week in week out, no; would he get a spot on a top 6 club, no; if we had the money to replace all that needs replacing, then no, but given our position and our limited options I think we may need him.

If we dont have money to waste, the best plan would be to extend a past it players contract ?

Someone who you admit cant play every week.

That sounds like astonishingly poor management to me.

All excuses out the window about money if the management give him a contract.

Young cannot be getting minutes next season. He’s 39 years of age.

Coleman is available for about 5 games per season so he’s not an option either.
I find it hard to believe we wont get a new RB in this summer.

Coleman and Young are at best stand ins for a couple of games. Patterson is appalling.

Can we finally solve the Coleman succession this summer...

If we dont have money to waste, the best plan would be to extend a past it players contract ?

Someone who you admit cant play every week.

That sounds like astonishingly poor management to me.

All excuses out the window about money if the management give him a contract.
As a back up player he won’t be playing every week, he is here so he won’t cost a fee, he isn’t on astronomical wages. We have Godfrey who can fill in as well. We are talking about a squad who are aspiring for mid table next season not one that has ambitions of winning trophies. I would love for Everton to be in a position where we could let Seamus retire, where we wouldn’t have Young as a starter, where we could replace Doucoure with a flair player, where we had wingers who could cross a ball, but all this we do not have. We need to cut our cloth etc. We are not looking for the best options, we are trying to find the least worst.

As a back up player he won’t be playing every week, he is here so he won’t cost a fee, he isn’t on astronomical wages. We have Godfrey who can fill in as well. We are talking about a squad who are aspiring for mid table next season not one that has ambitions of winning trophies. I would love for Everton to be in a position where we could let Seamus retire, where we wouldn’t have Young as a starter, where we could replace Doucoure with a flair player, where we had wingers who could cross a ball, but all this we do not have. We need to cut our cloth etc. We are not looking for the best options, we are trying to find the least worst.

If a player cant play weekly then he isnt going to be an effective backup.

It would mean we need:
Starter
Backup
+ Coleman

Its just a waste of money.

If a player cant play weekly then he isnt going to be an effective backup.

It would mean we need:
Starter
Backup
+ Coleman

Its just a waste of money.
I think you and I differ on what our understanding of what it means to be a “backup” to the starting player is. I think we should leave it there.

I think you and I differ on what our understanding of what it means to be a “backup” to the starting player is. I think we should leave it there.

Feel free not to respond but its obvious what a backup player is for...

Lets say Patterson is the starter and he gets injured for 2 months.

Who plays? The backup -- only Coleman cant play more than 1 game a week so...we would then need 2 backups or someone who is able to play every game.

Which makes Coleman an ineffective player and not worth keeping.

Yeah his dressing room influence has certainly brought us untold riches during his time here…

The lads been a good servant but he’s done.

How many players at top clubs are just offered new deals because they are nice lads? Absolutely none.

Small time loser mentality that is the legacy of Bill Kenwrights 30 year stewardship.
I hate to break it to you but we aren't a top club and this is what clubs in our predicaments do. How long are some of you old heads going to take that Everton aren't a top club anymore, we just simply scrape by hoping to survive.

I hate to break it to you but we aren't a top club and this is what clubs in our predicaments do. How long are some of you old heads going to take that Everton aren't a top club anymore, we just simply scrape by hoping to survive.
Ok, change “big club” to “any PL club worth its salt”.

Name me one other club in the league with 2 full backs who regularly start at the ages of 35 & 38…

I think Big Sam and Victus have eloquently articulated our position. We don’t have two front line players for every position, we can’t afford to buy players who who give us two front line players for every position. We have to provide cover as best as we can. That means one more year for Seamus, hopefully Patterson grows into a Premier League player or we get a replacement starter and if the starting fullback and Seamus are unavailable you use a utility player like Godfrey. We are a struggling Premier League club, that is what struggling Premier League clubs do, struggle.