Summer 2024 transfer thread.

Thats ok as a backup left back for the short term. Just neither of them can be rotation or starters.

Even then, better off signing cheaper younger players.

The other day i mentioned this chap:

I'm going to break your heart, in a couple of weeks bringing up Max Cornet mate, but everything in its own time. lol

How much would we get in sales ?
Maupay £5 mill
Branthwaite £75 mill
Onana £60 mill
Patterson £5 mill
Keane £2/3 mill
DCL £25 mill

So perhaps £175 mill , I don't know.

If we did I could see us applying £100 mill to reducing the debt and £75 mill on players.

I suspect we will see a couple of free transfers for squad players ( centre half , centre mid ) with fees paid for a starting right back and midfield, centre mid and striker.

That's a very modest budget to replace 4 first teamers .
I know you're just putting out numbers to talk about, but I'd be very pleasantly surprised if anyone gave us £60 million for Onana right now.

The number for DCL highlights the issue there, too. Even if we could get £25 million for him, would that be enough to sign a suitable replacement? We paid more than that for Beto! (Of course, that's also us being stupid and desperate, but the point stands.) I think we probably have no good choice but to extend Dom, because that will be significantly cheaper out-of-pocket than replacing him.

The noise around Barkley’s contract suggests that he won’t be available on a free in the summer.

Instead, people are talking about relegation release clauses, which indicates that there would be no such release clause in the event that Luton stay in the Premier League.

It suggests that Barkley signed a contract agreeing to stay at Luton for at least a further season IF Luton were able to stay in the Premier League.

What do I infer from this? Well Barkley may be thick, but I bet you he’s well aware that it is in his best interests for Luton to be relegated!

Luton’s relegation is the key to Barkley securing a massive pay rise at a much better club as Barkley approaches possibly the last contract of his career.

I know you're just putting out numbers to talk about, but I'd be very pleasantly surprised if anyone gave us £60 million for Onana right now.

The number for DCL highlights the issue there, too. Even if we could get £25 million for him, would that be enough to sign a suitable replacement? We paid more than that for Beto! (Of course, that's also us being stupid and desperate, but the point stands.) I think we probably have no good choice but to extend Dom, because that will be significantly cheaper out-of-pocket than replacing him.
We paid £25m for Beto mate, higher than his real value because it was on tick basically. Yes we could replace, key for us on a budget is stay away from the uk, the market is too expensive for us. Kevin Denkey, Vangelis Pavlidis, Mathias Kvistgaarden that's just 3 I can think of off the top of my head, all score goals and would be cheaper imo. At the end of the day this is where recruitment comes in and doing your research/scouting.

We paid £25m for Beto mate, higher than his real value because it was on tick basically. Yes we could replace, key for us on a budget is stay away from the uk, the market is too expensive for us. Kevin Denkey, Vangelis Pavlidis, Mathias Kvistgaarden that's just 3 I can think of off the top of my head, all score goals and would be cheaper imo. At the end of the day this is where recruitment comes in and doing your research/scouting.
Well, £26m for Beto, but anyway, point is good strikers aren't cheap. Crap strikers aren't even cheap for us.

Primarily because we don't really do the bold part - at least not with any regularity - do we? I just can't trust the powers-that-be to come up with somebody better than Dom for cheaper than it would cost just to extend his contract.

Well, £26m for Beto, but anyway, point is good strikers aren't cheap. Crap strikers aren't even cheap for us.

Primarily because we don't really do the bold part - at least not with any regularity - do we? I just can't trust the powers-that-be to come up with somebody better than Dom for cheaper than it would cost just to extend his contract.
I kind of agree… strikers from the top 5 European leagues aren’t cheap.

If we’d have been decisive, how much did the relatively unproven Boniface go for?

He is leagues better than Beto - but he came from the Swiss league not the Italian league. There is a clear tier system in terms of how much you pay for a striker. Italian league strikers are not cheap.

Leeds have ten first team players out on loan:

They are still paying off the fees for most of those players.

They also have a squad of 26 in their first team including 3 players in on loan:

They are paying for several new signings and others brought in over the past few seasons.

As others have posted, the rumours are that if they dont get promotion they will need to generate income from sales.

If they do not get promoted their players with the highest sale value would probably be:

Summerville, Gnonto & Gray

Or you disagree?
I don't disagree that he may be sold. I totally disagree that it will be to us as a) we can't be spending the rumoured amounts on a single player and b) he'll move to a bigger club than us.

Last edited:
I kind of agree… strikers from the top 5 European leagues aren’t cheap.

If we’d have been decisive, how much did the relatively unproven Boniface go for?

He is leagues better than Beto - but he came from the Swiss league not the Italian league. There is a clear tier system in terms of how much you pay for a striker. Italian league strikers are not cheap.
That's why you stay out of the top 5 leagues.

Thats ok as a backup left back for the short term. Just neither of them can be rotation or starters.

Even then, better off signing cheaper younger players.

The other day i mentioned this chap:

Just depends on money 2 ye deal for that taylor would do for me with us hopefully looking at a lb the season after.
Wonder would we have a look at this lad again.

Hasn't gone well for him at Marseille.

Yeah sure we tried again for a loan this season could be wrong but could try again