2022/23 James Tarkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loved the smirk on him when he was behind Onana, when there were 3 or 4 of them after him. 2 minutes later Mateta took a bit of a heavy touch by the byline, said to the lad, watch this Tarkowski went right through him and even won a goal kick. You jus imagine Tarkowski's face lighting up after that heavy touch. This is our best central defender partnership since Jagielka and Lescott.

Top defender and one that we can build the defensive line around as we progress in our style. I don’t want to jump the gun and get rid of Coady (who has also been excellent) but I can imagine something like:

Patterson
Pacy CB
Tarkowski
Attacking LB

May be a way in which we can elevate our attacking threat whilst not getting caught out too much on the counter.

Top defender and one that we can build the defensive line around as we progress in our style. I don’t want to jump the gun and get rid of Coady (who has also been excellent) but I can imagine something like:

Patterson
Pacy CB
Tarkowski
Attacking LB

May be a way in which we can elevate our attacking threat whilst not getting caught out too much on the counter.
Coady reads the game well, has good positioning, is intelligent in his defending. Pace isn't everything, Godfrey is rapid but he's nowhere near as effective as Coady. Plus the partnership with Tarkowski is working. People are mental, that partnership is fine, we don't concede many.

I mean if Southgate wants it he has a ready made cb partnership in the pair
They're playing like they should be the pairing. Southgate will never do it, because internal politics, but no one has gotten more than two past Tarkowski-Coady-Pickford all season. Spurs and United needed some significant help from players who are not them to net twice, too.

They fit Southgate's 'Let's just grind out a 1-0 like we're peak Spain' style.

Status
Not open for further replies.