2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
The error was believing Gordon could be a natural Richarlison replacement when in the real world he's barely a PL player. But I also believe we thought he was only a step down at worst which is true, but one step down from average is going to be a problem and we didn't appropriately rate Richarlison as average either. At some point you have to be able to figure out what you have and properly value and use it.

I think we put a lot of expectation on the lad, before he’s ready for it agreed mate, it’s led to resentment which is sad. I rate him as you know.

Im not wholly on board with your appraisal of either player. Personally I think we are guilty of a bit of hubris, but also left ourselves woefully short and unbalanced creatively over player trading in the last three windows.

I think we put a lot of expectation on the lad, before he’s ready for it agreed mate, it’s led to resentment which is sad. I rate him as you know.

Im not wholly on board with your appraisal of either player. Personally I think we are guilty of a bit of hubris, but also left ourselves woefully short and unbalanced creatively over player trading in the last three windows.
I think under real coaching he could get better quickly but I also see real holes that aren't going anywhere regardless of who is in charge. Maybe one day he makes it where we want him to go. I just think the jump is too large.

I think under real coaching he could get better quickly but I also see real holes that aren't going anywhere regardless of who is in charge. Maybe one day he makes it where we want him to go. I just think the jump is too large.
I honestly dont wanna spend the next 6 weeks ripping players apart.

But.

Gordon cant even get games for a side that is in 17th place and yet we are meant to think hes some superstar and we are just blind if we cant see it?

IM JUST SAYING.

He definitely has development needs, final ball being one, crossing and shooting. Though I think he has the skillset yet to be cultivated at this level, if you watched him and underage you can see it’s in his locker. Even still he’s our top goal scorer.

He has the ability to carry innititive though, he can attack with ball at feet, he can penetrate and he can break a line, even in a period of bad form he’s scored more then anyone. It’s sad I think how reliant we are on him and in expectation, but such is the club at the moment and he’s not a calendar year as a starter - he’s struggling with form and maybe psycholocslly I think at the moment. I have faith in him, but think he needs help.

Should be told the he's got the day today so quietly go about collecting his things and saying goodbye to the staff.

Obviously it'll be dragged out until we're 20th first week of January and we'll massively regret not firing him now, but that's what should happen.

Villa just kin went out and plucked serial European winner Emery like it was taking candy from a baby, yet the best we can do is Lampard? Come on.

What you get with Roberto Martinez teams are goals. He's an attacking coach and attacking coaches get their reward in this league. You have to know what you're doing setting up to play that way, and Lampard isn't the man to do it. There's no way RM would have entered into a season without a very handy striker. Lampard did exactly that (with no help from his DoF and having to sell Richarlison).

If we had cash to buy a couple of attackers I'm pretty sure that with a decent CB pairing like we have we'd pile up more goals than concede them. I take your point about a screening player like McCarthy being fundamental to his way of setting up and we dont have one, but we were going for top place finishes back then and it's mere survival now...and who's to say RM wouldn't get a tune out of an old war horse like Gueye in the way he did with Barry?

I'd rather we stick with Lampard and hand him his chance to get this right, but RM back would do the trick for us and get us to safety.
Thing is Dave, I don't think he would, we would leak goals like a sieve. Martinez' first season with us he still had Moyes' exceptionally well drilled defence, when Martinez arrived and took the shackles off it looked good, for a while. He got away with his tactical failings that first season because the defence still had that organisation, it all fell to pieces after that. Were he to come in now, this defence would be nowhere near good enough to cope with his tactics and we would go down for sure.

Thing is Dave, I don't think he would, we would leak goals like a sieve. Martinez' first season with us he still had Moyes' exceptionally well drilled defence, when Martinez arrived and took the shackles off it looked good, for a while. He got away with his tactical failings that first season because the defence still had that organisation, it all fell to pieces after that. Were he to come in now, this defence would be nowhere near good enough to cope with his tactics and we would go down for sure.

It's the likes of Sean Dyche who might stable us as he kept Burnley up for years so he got experience with working with crap players.

The error was believing Gordon could be a natural Richarlison replacement when in the real world he's barely a PL player. But I also believe we thought he was only a step down at worst which is true, but one step down from average is going to be a problem and we didn't appropriately rate Richarlison as average either. At some point you have to be able to figure out what you have and properly value and use it.

Not selling him is along side not getting forwards in for me.

Just think that extra cash injection wouldve pushed some deals over the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.