New Everton Stadium Discussion

It would be a bit smaller capacity without the standing on the hill which would put it in the ball park of OT and Principality. Imho Ireland have to make that choice whether they want the Aviva or Croke and seeing as the FAI is linked with the Aviva then surely Croke won't be on the final bid.

Two stadiums basically a stone's throw away from each other is a bit of a waste, no matter how good they both are.

Yep it drops from 84k to 74k with seating on the Hill mate.

Could be one or both depending how the bid falls, we wont be short which is the main thing.

I wouldn't put it past the FAI to use Croker, for the extra revenue, though i think it will be the Government pulling the strings rather then the FAI - who basically owe the government massively.

TBH if its the summer, its likely to be the Lansdowne given the GAA season would be in full swing, the GAA wont be giving up that GAA Championship revenue for a couple of football games. Actually the more i think of Croker is prob unlikely on that score.

Not sure how much of a waste it is really, its akin to having Twickenham and Wembley in the same City. They are different sports really. Handball, Hurling, Gaelic, Football and Camogie in Croker and campus and Rugby and Football in Lansdowne.

Last edited:
It was an incredible day, a real landmark moment in Irish Sport and so meaningful and historical now, a precedent in the healing of old wounds and empowering a spirit of reconciliation that has to be the way forward for the island.

We won 43-13 that day - we never likely would have if the game was played anywhere else, such was the occasion and meaning behind it.

I hope we have moved to place we can hear God Save the Queen in Croke Park and not blink, its the way forward. We won though! lol

...not much chance of her blinking now.

You have to remember that with these tournaments not every game is Brazil vs Argentina or England vs Germany. There often won't be a huge demand for tickets especially in the group stages. I've been to a couple of games in the euros. Wales vs Russia and Ireland vs Italy. Whilst the Welsh and the Irish came in huge numbers the Russians and Italians didn't. The stadium looked relatively full but there were still plenty of empty seats, from memory both stadiums held 30-35k.

I agree, but I thought with it being in the UK, there would be a big demand for tickets even it's not your usual big nations.

I just cant see two stadiums in one provincial city getting the nod. That's why Everton's has been declared the preferred city of Liverpool bidder.

The thing is though, it will be either no stadium in Liverpool, or no stadium in Manchester.

Being (very) biased, a finished BMD trumps both Manc grounds, capacity notwithstanding. Both city's are genuine football heartlands, transport, hotels, that stuff, is a flip of a coin. Or will be given time.

Unless Utd spend a bomb at OT (ok mate), it will still be a dump. Compared to BMD. So I reckon it will be either us or City. And save for a few thousand seats, BMD should win hands down.

The thing is though, it will be either no stadium in Liverpool, or no stadium in Manchester.

Being (very) biased, a finished BMD trumps both Manc grounds, capacity notwithstanding. Both city's are genuine football heartlands, transport, hotels, that stuff, is a flip of a coin. Or will be given time.

Unless Utd spend a bomb at OT (ok mate), it will still be a dump. Compared to BMD. So I reckon it will be either us or City. And save for a few thousand seats, BMD should win hands down.
Literally no reason at all to include City's boring generic ground, or West Ham's boring generic ground. Old Trafford merely there for its size as it's old and decrepit, while Anfield there just because it seems all foreign fans love Liverpool FC. A shiny new ground in a superb location at BMD should be high up on the list.

Not sure why it would be Manchester or Liverpool rather than both?

Looking at the list I'd expect the 4 that need to be cut to be where there are 2 in one place (therefore stadium of light, Birmingham City, and one of Etihad/OT) and probably the London stadium.

Leaves 6 English stadiums with 2 in London, and 1 each in Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool and North East.

Yep it drops from 84k to 74k with seating on the Hill mate.

Could be one or both depending how the bid falls, we wont be short which is the main thing.

I wouldn't put it past the FAI to use Croker, for the extra revenue, though i think it will be the Government pulling the strings rather then the FAI - who basically owe the government massively.

TBH if its the summer, its likely to be the Lansdowne given the GAA season would be in full swing, the GAA wont be giving up that GAA Championship revenue for a couple of football games. Actually the more i think of Croker is prob unlikely on that score.

Not sure how much of a waste it is really, its akin to having Twickenham and Wembley in the same City. They are different sports really. Handball, Hurling, Gaelic, Football and Camogie in Croker and campus and Rugby and Football in Lansdowne.

The thing is that London serves a population more than double the whole of Ireland. Twickenham and Wembley aren't that close in the grand scheme of things, you wouldn't want to walk it, where you can between the stadiums in Dublin.

I just cant see two stadiums in one provincial city getting the nod. That's why Everton's has been declared the preferred city of Liverpool bidder.

Anfield couldn't be considered as the pitch size is not adequate for an international tournament. Although that should be something they could correct when they build the lower section of their new stand if they wanted to.

Literally no reason at all to include City's boring generic ground, or West Ham's boring generic ground. Old Trafford merely there for its size as it's old and decrepit, while Anfield there just because it seems all foreign fans love Liverpool FC. A shiny new ground in a superb location at BMD should be high up on the list.
I don’t think our old ground is on the list , something to to do with the pitch being too small I think.

Not sure why it would be Manchester or Liverpool rather than both?

Looking at the list I'd expect the 4 that need to be cut to be where there are 2 in one place (therefore stadium of light, Birmingham City, and one of Etihad/OT) and probably the London stadium.

Leaves 6 English stadiums with 2 in London, and 1 each in Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool and North East.

Cos they are going to cull 2 grounds from the 3.

Ergo, Manchester or Liverpool.