2022/23 Kevin Thelwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
LET KEV COOK

beaker-fire.gif

Noticed in the video the clubs motto on the wall as he and the manager were walking around the training complex.

How ironic given the snarky crappy attitude from people at the club and some fans towards those who would like that motto somewhat adhered to.

There is a lot to say on Thelwell and even his stature in dictating signings. I for one dont think Dyche was on his shortlist. As under Brands I think we have a DoF that's usurped by an incompetent board. A mistake, regardless of Thelwell's quality or not at the job.

But removed of that caveat more broadly on recruitment I find the lack of intl scouting and our lack of links under 20 million very perplexing for an array of reasons. For one with FFP restrictions the lack of depth, diversifying and invest smaller sums across positions seems the logical explanation.

Factor that Thelwell worked in MLS which Id assumed gave him details and access to both America's markets it becomes all the more confusing. And when you factor the Red Bull connection who are excellent in smaller league scouting why are we not in Scandinavia, Japan, or any number of central American countries. He must have been exposed partially to those networks.

France is a very logical market for upside and playability with decent value. And he seems to be willing to look there (like everyone else BTW), but beyond that the obsession with premier league and championship players is going to limit the pool drastically for undesirable fees.

Of course a lot is wrong at the club at the moment, but our recruitment lacks an understanding of our current limitations and pathways out of this mess that are feasible.

There is a lot to say on Thelwell and even his stature in dictating signings. I for one dont think Dyche was on his shortlist. As under Brands I think we have a DoF that's usurped by an incompetent board. A mistake, regardless of Thelwell's quality or not at the job.

But removed of that caveat more broadly on recruitment I find the lack of intl scouting and our lack of links under 20 million very perplexing for an array of reasons. For one with FFP restrictions the lack of depth, diversifying and invest smaller sums across positions seems the logical explanation.

Factor that Thelwell worked in MLS which Id assumed gave him details and access to both America's markets it becomes all the more confusing. And when you factor the Red Bull connection who are excellent in smaller league scouting why are we not in Scandinavia, Japan, or any number of central American countries. He must have been exposed partially to those networks.

France is a very logical market for upside and playability with decent value. And he seems to be willing to look there (like everyone else BTW), but beyond that the obsession with premier league and championship players is going to limit the pool drastically for undesirable fees.

Of course a lot is wrong at the club at the moment, but our recruitment lacks an understanding of our current limitations and pathways out of this mess that are feasible.
What recruitment?

With the Gordon fee I’d say Kevin can sell well, but I’m not sure he has brought in players who gel well. Though it’s hard to tell well, when, hell, we don’t spend like we did under Marcel.

Status
Not open for further replies.