Relegation 2022/23

Are Everton going to stay in the Premier League?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Screen Shot 2023-05-29 at 09.47.08.png

Might be genuine emotions, probably is.

However, Osman's status in punditry is on the back of his Everton connections. If we'd have gone down his work would have been affected.
I think everyone felt like that yesterday so I'd say its genuine. I dont think anyone truly enjoyed yesterday until the final whistle went, other than the couple of minutes of elation when we scored.

The 10 mins added time was probably the most nerve wracking 10 minutes of sport I've ever watched. But its about finding a way to get the job done, nothing else matters

Honestly, there has been a few occasions this season I thought we were gone. That November - January period was evil. How Lampard survived the Bournemouth Massacres was bad enough, but it was so obvious we were going to lose the key games to Wolves and Southampton. Even when Brighton destroyed us he stayed. I’ve got no doubt at all in my mind that in January we were the worst team in the division. I thought we were on to finish bottom.

Dyche came in and I wasn’t punching the air with that appointment, then the club hamstrung him by that absolutely disgraceful January transfer window, an act of self-sabotage if ever there was one. It was like playing a Playstation game and putting it on the very hardest mode, I can remember how angry we all felt when the window closed and every single club had strengthened and we hadn’t. I thought we were gone.

Beating Arsenal was huge, it reminded me of the wins against Man U and Chelsea last season, absolutely desperate wins against excellent sides. Something only Goodison can conjure.

The Fulham game was so bad, and on the same day Bournemouth got themselves safe beating Spurs away, it felt like we had ran out of whatever steam we had. Newcastle dismantling us was another occasion I just thought, “nope, we are gone.” But in the midst of that we were getting late goals and late points, Simms at Chelsea, Keane v Spurs, Mina at Wolves, we were still in there scrapping.

Yesterday, the release of tension was beautiful. But the fact remains we came one goal away from relegation, or one Pope save last week, or one Pickford penalty save v Leicester.

This cannot happen again. No club on the planet has played as many seasons in a top flight as Everton. What is it now, 121 years? I honestly think it doesn’t take that much to turn us into a lower mid table side for next season, and then onwards from there. We all know we need changes at the club, but thank God we are not doing it as a Championship club, but were we belong, in the top flight.

The dynamic changes next year again mate. You have to absolutely need to leave Dyche there now for two years, he will build a competitive side and a culture and we have more then a punchers chance, im very curious to see what he can do with means beyond what Burnley can offer him. The club needs stability, a culture change root and branch, balance in the squad and incremental improvement. He didnt get half a season, got a tune out of a limited unbalanced squad and brought home 21 points with awful runs of fixtures - far tougher then his predecessor. How he kept a club up in the PL without a centre forward all year is beyond me, ive never seen the like.

With the reset come August, i see many clubs regressing and could have difficult seasons - Bourmouth, Forest, Wolves, Palace could be up against it - i could see Fulham after an initial year of boom regressing when the first year shine wears - an Ivan Toney less Brentford are going to struggle to post their points tally without is goals until Jan, while be curious to see who stays and who goes at Brighton - its very hard to repeat what they do - sell their best and replace them like for like. The you look at who is coming up Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton. Id back us to be that pragmatic side, competitive side that doesn't loose many and hits the mid to lower table and we incrementally take a step forward.

A lot will depend on the ownership situation, whether its a full take over or minority - but the club needs stability now. We have the right manager at the right time - who can more then meet the needs of stability, incremental progression and fundamentally staying in the league with a limited budget. He will compete a root and branch culture change at this club and he knows how to balance a squad. He wont get to high, he wont get to low, he will face every adversity and not moan and that will seap through the culture required in the dressing room.

As fans we need to be self aware, we need to realise the job of work the club needs and how deep of a hole we are in, its huge, its culture, its balance, its stability, its building and doing all of the above in limits. Hes earned our gratitude, and he rightly deserves to be lauded and appreciated for what he did this season - i think its incredible.

With Dyche im very confident, hes a proper football manager.

Last edited:
His ppg ratio would get 44 points. I would probably take that next year. Thats basically a 20% improvement on this year and definitely has you clear of relegation trouble
Depends on when he gets those points. I would suggest it’s easier to get them towards the end of the season when desperation sets in.

Has been the case for us for the last god knows how many years anyway

Honestly, there has been a few occasions this season I thought we were gone. That November - January period was evil. How Lampard survived the Bournemouth Massacres was bad enough, but it was so obvious we were going to lose the key games to Wolves and Southampton. Even when Brighton destroyed us he stayed. I’ve got no doubt at all in my mind that in January we were the worst team in the division. I thought we were on to finish bottom.

Dyche came in and I wasn’t punching the air with that appointment, then the club hamstrung him by that absolutely disgraceful January transfer window, an act of self-sabotage if ever there was one. It was like playing a Playstation game and putting it on the very hardest mode, I can remember how angry we all felt when the window closed and every single club had strengthened and we hadn’t. I thought we were gone.

Beating Arsenal was huge, it reminded me of the wins against Man U and Chelsea last season, absolutely desperate wins against excellent sides. Something only Goodison can conjure.

The Fulham game was so bad, and on the same day Bournemouth got themselves safe beating Spurs away, it felt like we had ran out of whatever steam we had. Newcastle dismantling us was another occasion I just thought, “nope, we are gone.” But in the midst of that we were getting late goals and late points, Simms at Chelsea, Keane v Spurs, Mina at Wolves, we were still in there scrapping.

Yesterday, the release of tension was beautiful. But the fact remains we came one goal away from relegation, or one Pope save last week, or one Pickford penalty save v Leicester.

This cannot happen again. No club on the planet has played as many seasons in a top flight as Everton. What is it now, 121 years? I honestly think it doesn’t take that much to turn us into a lower mid table side for next season, and then onwards from there. We all know we need changes at the club, but thank God we are not doing it as a Championship club, but were we belong, in the top flight.
For me the Brighton result was the big one. The shift in GD effectively removed Leeds from the equation. It showed the other teams that we could really hurt them on the counter.

Might be genuine emotions, probably is.

However, Osman's status in punditry is on the back of his Everton connections. If we'd have gone down his work would have been affected.
Yeah, I’ve given him plenty of stick over the years, but think we can all relate to his reactions there. Especially the “I hated that today” comment after full time. The fella is clearly a decent blue.

With the reset come August, i see many clubs regressing and could have difficult seasons - Bourmouth, Forest, Wolves, Palace could be up against it - i could see Fulham after an initial year of boom regressing when the first year shine wears - an Ivan Toney less Brentford are going to struggle to post their points tally without is goals until Jan, while be curious to see who stays and who goes at Brighton - its very hard to repeat what they do - sell their best and replace them like for like. The you look at who is coming up Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton. Id back us to be that pragmatic side, competitive side that doesn't loose many and hits the mid to lower table and we incrementally take a step forward.
This.

Once a Yo-yo club always a yo-yo club. Only City through their have stopped the bounce. I have no doubt that Brentford, Brighton and Fulham will all see the slide from as early as next season for some... but it is fate... Look at Leicester. Winning a trophy doesn't change your history or the fact that the club still feels like a visitor. The mentality of up and down become norm, with breaks of success. That's why avoiding the drop was vital to another 70 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.