Summer transfer window 2023

Glad to sign a player who isn't just supposed to be DCL's understudy. Hopefully Beto hits the ground running and removes some of the pressure from the club and DCL. Someone else (hopefully multiple someones) being able to score goals will ease some of the panic around the club. Actual competition for places will only make us better.
Honestly I’d given up on seeing us take a step to actually replace DCL and not just supplement him and pray on his recovery. Obviously caveat that Beto will need to perform, but I already don’t care as much about whether Dom is fit or not. Hope he can continue his career for his own good, but we HAVE to consider him a bonus player, and this is the first time that could be the case with Beto and Chermiti.

I agree but with a couple of caveats:

Mykolenko, Branthwaite, Patterson, Garner, Onana and McNeil make 6 positions of the squad filled with long term players.

In addition next season we could see, Dobbin, Mills and Chermiti all cement themselves within the squad.

Thats 9 squad positions from say 23 covered long term.

The fine margins are clear as if we added Wharton(CM), Bakayoko(RW) and Gnonto(ACM) we would look extremely strong in terms of long term planning and limited business required next summer.

Next summer we currently need:

1 × LB
1 × RB
2 × CM
2 × ACM
2 × RW

Just on contracts expiring and adding bodies.

The following summer we need 2 × CB.

Before the end of the window we need to bring in young players to develop over the next 12months. Otherwise Jan and next summer will be a nightmare.
I think those are the core but in large part are more of the target price range im suggesting. As a collective too they arent really all that distinguished from any other team close to our table position. Burnley, Bournemouth, Wolves could all muster a similar list of intrigue or upside.

But the noted list of needed additions is 8. I just don't see any club reasonably adding that much in a single window with very few exceptions. Especially with our continued financial issues. That makes the case that we likely should have been seeking cover earlier. If we didnt have the resources certain names then should have been crossed off. Im beating a dead horse but the Beto add is case and point. Regardless of the stress in needed striker cover, we need general squad improvement more. Just don't understand why we aren't seeing more 7 to 15 million adds but instead floating around 30 million bids here and there.

The only silver lining ive seen some mention is a clean slate for a new manager and possibly DoF. I see possibility of us having a decent managerial pool if we move on from Dyche in the not so distant future. It could be a decent ground floor for a more progressive manager to actually succeed.

Last edited:
Wonder what money we'll have left over now after Beto. Safe to say this the evolution of the Toure and then Gnonto money to sign him. Be interested to see what sort of loan players we might go after, maybe Sulemana and a CB. I don't see us signing another first XI player though, it'll be nothing but cheap or inexperienced depth now.
If we have no money left then we must utilise the 2 loan spots we have left.

I can see the domestic loan going on a centre half and the foreign one going on a winger and I also wouldn't be surprised if we signed some old keeper on a free.

Gray, Gomes, Maupay and Gbamin could all go in the morning and we'd have probably £20m-£25m in fees and easily £300k a week in wages saved, all while having the squad completely uneffected by it. Mad isn't it? Getting those out now should be the priority, Gomes the only player decent enough to play for us still but we'd replace his impact very easily with a £10m punt on a youngster, like we did with Garner last year.
Easier said than done getting these moved on. Biggish wages will block their moves

Honestly I’d given up on seeing us take a step to actually replace DCL and not just supplement him and pray on his recovery. Obviously caveat that Beto will need to perform, but I already don’t care as much about whether Dom is fit or not. Hope he can continue his career for his own good, but we HAVE to consider him a bonus player, and this is the first time that could be the case with Beto and Chermiti.
Even Dom coming on for 30min for Beto could be very impactful and allows him the time to really settle again, like Newcastle have done with Wilson

Manchester United have turned down a loan bid from Everton for Defender, Harry Maguire. Manchester United will only listen to permanent offers

I’m Nico and so’s my wife!
I would like that just dont think we have the money to go for all that as bakayoko 25 plus and wharton is about 15 plus. Is still time just think if he gets a cm will be a squad player, i would still live us to try phillips from city be perfect for that role for us
I’m sure that Wharton would jump at the chance of sitting on our bench for a year. He would be much better staying where he is and playing a full year in the Championship.