Match Thread Sheffield United v Everton - Preview, Match Report & MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the flip side we've still not had anywhere near our best xi out there at any stage.

Harrison will start every game. Beto is new. McNeil nowhere near match fit. Danjuma only just getting there. DCL to come back. Coleman will return in October.
By which time we will in all likelihood have different injiry problems. Absolutely left three wins out their start of the season.

It is a rule of the game that a free kick is punished from where contact ends, not where it begins.. if the contact for that free kick ends within the box, a penalty must be awarded. There is absolutely no doubt that contact ended inside the box. That is the only thing that VAR should have been checking. The fact it wasn't awarded is nothing less that a misunderstanding of the laws of the game, incompetence. At most it is absolute corruption.

Also, contacting a player shoulder to shoulder is NOT a free kick, yet the referee saw fit to award a free kick and a yellow card for exactly that.
Yes thought the referee was really poor

Another good performance by us as a team undone by individual mistakes and shocking refereeing. I'll say it quietly so as not to upset some but we have a fairly decent spine in this team and probably most of our best 11 that are miles better than a relegation fight.

Pickford, Tarkowski, Branthwaite, Onana, Gana, Doucoure, Garner, McNeil, Danjuma and Beto are not relegation standard players at all, and that's of the ones just fit today. Our problems, as they always are, will be lack of quality in depth in case of injuries or rotation and our full backs aren't very good at all. Young and Coleman are the best pairing but they can't be expected to play 90 mins for 30+ games at their age.

Villa was the only performance in the league this season that we were battered in and deserved to lose. The other 3 were games we should have won and I think as the team grows those are results we'll get better with. I'm not on the same page of people losing their minds at the manager or the players for how we've played in the league so far. We've been incredibly unlucky, sometimes you have to overcome that luck and we haven't but I can't see too many faults (for a team that's only ambition is to survive of course)
Where are the points coming from though? Better teams than sheff United (practically every team in the league) will rip through us if we are as sloppy as we were at times. Also better squads will have 5 subs to use while we have nothing. We only have dcl and Harrison to come back. Possibly Gray?

Yes, quite happy with the draw and world class save at the end that would be remembered and replayed all over again…

On the flip side we've still not had anywhere near our best xi out there at any stage.

Harrison will start every game. Beto is new. McNeil nowhere near match fit. Danjuma only just getting there. DCL to come back. Coleman will return in October.

I think only Coleman and one of Harrison/McNeil come in to our best 11 tbh. That’s pretty much it.

Nothing to be too delighted with but at least we showed some level of gumption and passion. That's 3 games out of 4 where on the balance of play we should have won, the silver lining is if we keep that up, surely we'll pick up points soon enough?

(Trying to be optimistic, I'm well aware that by any measure we are still poop)
Exactly this. We should be on 9 points because we are better than 3 of the 4 teams we have played. We all know our chronic issues up front which is what has cost us those points, but it looks like we may now have the forward line to resolve that.

Start scoring a few goals, build a little bit of confidence and we are on track to head towards mid table

Have to feel like massive missed opportunities though. We won't be playing Wolves, Fulham and Sheff United every week. I worry for this defence against more capable opposition. We seen what Villa did to us.

Happy with a point away. I think when we get a few players back we will look a much better team with a fully fit McNeil and Harrison. I am still disappointed we got nothing from the Fulham and Wolves games.

Status
Not open for further replies.