January transfer window 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have to the amount of injuries already the club cant risk it again like last season.
And on top of everything else I still suspect Newcastle with a sale or two will come for Onana, and I’m not sure we can turn down a high bid. So we need to have multiple options lined up in case that happens.

And on top of everything else I still suspect Newcastle with a sale or two will come for Onana, and I’m not sure we can turn down a high bid. So we need to have multiple options lined up in case that happens.
What’s a high bid, with injuries and rumours of a transfer ban. The club need to be very careful in the next 5 days. The premier league will probably tells us we have a ban the day before it opens this summer, when I’m sure Chelsea knew well in advance and could plan in the window before the ban

What’s a high bid, with injuries and rumours of a transfer ban. The club need to be very careful in the next 5 days. The premier league will probably tells us we have a ban the day before it opens this summer, when I’m sure Chelsea knew well in advance and could plan in the window before the ban
What constitutes an offer we can’t refuse depends on what we need financially and FFP wise for this season, and that we don’t know.

In terms of the transfer ban it worries me a lot, the squad for next season is a long way short of enough. We’re been a rock and a hard place because we need permanent signings now to protect against it but we can’t do it without a big sale. If we could sell Onana and fund 3 permanent signings to embargo-proof a bit should we do it?

What constitutes an offer we can’t refuse depends on what we need financially and FFP wise for this season, and that we don’t know.

In terms of the transfer ban it worries me a lot, the squad for next season is a long way short of enough. We’re been a rock and a hard place because we need permanent signings now to protect against it but we can’t do it without a big sale. If we could sell Onana and fund 3 permanent signings to embargo-proof a bit should we do it?
Problem is we sell Onana late and get held to ransom with everyone we try and buy and bring in a loan or maybe a cheap midfielder who was way down the list, IE maupay at the 11th hour and we’d be in a worse position if we get a transfer ban. We have till June the 30th to balance this seasons accounts, so I’d rather hope the club sit tight and see where we’re in May

Problem is we sell Onana late and get held to ransom with everyone we try and buy and bring in a loan or maybe a cheap midfielder who was way down the list, IE maupay at the 11th hour and we’d be in a worse position if we get a transfer ban. We have till June the 30th to balance this seasons accounts, so I’d rather hope the club sit tight and see where we’re in May
There won't be any sales unless a replacement or two is in place first.

The January window is getting quieter each year in spite of the hype that SKY tries to inject. FFP is having an effect and of course you have to pay a premium if you want to take an important player away from a club mid season.
I don't even see the Saudis waving the cheque book this month.

Is to late sell onana imo but others godfrey ect if we can get money that is a good deal we can move on and replace

Wharton already out of our financial league it appears…

I think you are being very optimistic on both players tbh, Wharton still goes missing too much in games for me, Gray is clearly an adaptable player but still very young.

….Wharton is a talent in possession and can pick a pass but my concern is he’s physically ponderous. A bit like Gomes, he’d need runners alongside him. I’d certainly have enough concern to not be interested. Regardless, he’s out of our price range anyway.

I agree, I'm just not convinced by him, I go back to a game I watched prior to Christmas and I just remember for the first 20 mins I don't think he even touched the ball once, everything bypassed him and he looked lost. He was better in the second half but he looked like he had a lot to learn and as I have said I just think there are other CM in the Championship who are better than him.

Remember Gray is 17 & Wharton 19. They wont be finished articles by any stretch.

The point is that if we got a big fee for Onana (who i want to stay) and brought both of them in alongside Garner + an experienced older loan signing for next season it may prove to be sensible long term planning.

Whether older players in the championship were currently superior doesnt really matter...its whether these two (or similar) have high upside.

Is Garner not a long term solution in centre mid??? He's 22

If Onana was sold -- was my original point.

We'd only have Garner contracted end of the season. Gana & Gomes deals expire.

We'd need 2 or 3 more players in if Onana was sold for a big fee.

Carlos Forbs linked from Ajax.

He was the City winger who won the best premier league 2 player last season.

West Ham wanted him in the summer for £15-20mil but he went to Ajax.

Portuguese so perhaps with a view to pairing him and Chermiti in some capacity.

Our DoF has said we have no money, our manager has said we have no money, but please feel free to keep suggesting we spend money on players you have never seen play.

….it seems (to me) that the club are only interested in bringing in a wide player but i have no idea how we’d pay for one.

Status
Not open for further replies.