2017/18 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your mentioning that he's been involved in most of our positive play this season ? He's a lone striker mate, the focal point of our attacking play, he should be involved. Trouble is... we havnt had hardly any positive play this season and that's because we are playing a player as a lone striker that can't actually do what is required

A) he's not necessarily played as a lone striker but still been involved
B) please tell me what is needed as a lone striker?

A) he's not necessarily played as a lone striker but still been involved
B) please tell me what is needed as a lone striker?

As a lone striker you need to have good hold up play and physical presence ... or decent goal scoring rate... defenders find it easy to defend against him and he doesn't create his own chance and he can't finish the few chances he does manage to get

As a lone striker you need to have good hold up play and physical presence ... or decent goal scoring rate... defenders find it easy to defend against him and he doesn't create his own chance and he can't finish the few chances he does manage to get

Yet various top class strikers and centre backs have commented that he's the exact sort of striker that defenders hate playing against as he pulls them into channels and doesn't give then time on the ball.

But Tel on Got reckons he's the opposite laa

His hold up and link play is fine. Agree he doesn't magic chances out of nothing for himself, but he's not Lukaku or Suarez. Who is? Plus, he doesn't ask to be played as a lone striker I suspect. It's a tough role and many seasoned strikers struggle. Agree he is better with a partner.

But you can't have a go at the kid for trying to do what his manager asks. For a player defenders find it easy to play against he doesn't half create some chances. He's also scored 2 in his last 4 prem games and i think its clear that he is improving as time goes by. As I said in my earlier post, he's been asked to do a job out of necessity in difficult circumstances. He arguably shouldn't be in this position. Given that context he's done well.

Respectfully I think you are just looking to have a go at the lad without acknowledging what he's actually done well or is good at. Which is precisely what I don't understand - the merry tendency to criticise without acknowledging positives or circumstances.

He's a promising young striker. I can understand a fan being frustrated that we don't have a better striking option at the moment - and I don't think anyone is suggesting DCL is perfect right now - but I'm quite enjoying watching his slow, steady improvement.

How many 20 year-old strikers are performing to his level in the top two English divisions at the moment? You can count them on one hand. He's showing a lot of promise and a lot of determination. Could have a really good future with us.

He’s a young lad thrust into the position of replacing Romelu Lukaku.

Give him a break.

He’s hardly pants.

Maybe if he came from some tin pot league like the Belgian one with 50 goals to his name as a 16 year old against part time postmen etc then he would get hyped...

The lad already has a better all round game than the £90m striker we just sold. The goals will come when the team is better. This kid is gonna be a very good player.

He played well yesterday. But it was against an extremely poor side. By and large he has done alright at home but we need much more in away games

We could probably get £90m for him in that case. We got that for a player who was garbage against top teams but scored against the poor ones.

That very same player has scored 1 in 11 for one of the best teams in the league...."found out"

I thought he emulated Lukaku quite well yesterday.
Invisible in the first half , but then scores an important goal in the second and gets involved more.

Im not his biggest critic but i think he is limited. He is young and will get better. Would he be my option for the future at goodison?Prob not. Not for the near future anyway. He wont be a top 6 forward in the next few years and that is what we need to be aiming to bring in. He has strenghts alright and a willingness to run. He was very good yesterday in his runs and willingness to challange up front by himself. we need a proper front man in jan but well done yesterday.

Maybe if he came from some tin pot league like the Belgian one with 50 goals to his name as a 16 year old against part time postmen etc then he would get hyped...

The lad already has a better all round game than the £90m striker we just sold. The goals will come when the team is better. This kid is gonna be a very good player.
So not only is he the next Kane, sharp, Costa, he's now better than lukaku

Calm down, it was only Huddersfield

Better all round game than lukaku already. Ya!!

DCL is slowly improving but still well off being Prem level. We already have a striker who carries a far superior goal threat as the stats unequivocally prove.
Unsworth, who originally spotted DCL, recognised this and had dropped him for Oumar. The ban and Sam not wanting to change a winning team are the only reasons DCL started.
He's going to be way out of his depth at Anfield and I suspect Niasse will be back in again soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.