New Everton Stadium Discussion

Well said , Infinity on Leeds Street is about to start which is 39 storeys and over the road you’ve got Ovatus 1 + 2 which go up to 48 storeys, so like you say this may be more of an appeasement excercise by the council.
There was already a height limit in the original outline planning permission and like what was said by the council at the time if it’s thousands of jobs and investment versus heritage status then it’s jobs all day long.

The difference with those is that they sit just outside of the world heritage zone as far as I know and are actually in the buffer zone which UNESCO would have to be stupid to argue too much over given the buffer zone covers pretty much the entire city centre.

The city centre itself has always had height restrictions in place and has to account for the view of the likes of the cathedral, it's a shame that buildings constantly get cut in size, there's plenty of developments that either didn't happen or they turned out much worse because of those restrictions. The stadium won't have the height problem but the development around it no doubt will and we'll end up with similar rubbish that we've got on Princes Dock currently (hopefully that will improve soon enough). You also have to hope UNESCO don't argue that the changes to the dock to site a stadium are too big of a change for them to be happy with.

No they don't. The Council will happily lose the status to keep a massive regeneration project afloat which bring thousands of jobs and also contribute a net profit to the council when every bit of funding is being taken away.

Make no mistake, the city will given two options: the stadium or heritage status - the stadium will win every time.
Politically it's kryptonite for Anderson and Labour. It is a big deal to have WHS and no amount of degrading its importance can make a bit of difference to that.

Anderson has to come up with the almost impossible now: keep the regeneration plan + stadium on track AND satisfy UNESCO and a doubting public that the city's heritage wont be disturbed.

It looks fanciful.

Politically it's kryptonite for Anderson and Labour. It is a big deal to have WHS and no amount of degrading its importance can make a bit of difference to that.

Anderson has to come up with the almost impossible now: keep the regeneration plan + stadium on track AND satisfy UNESCO and a doubting public that the city's heritage wont be disturbed.

It looks fanciful.

This new announcement will have been met with heads into hands in the EFC boardroom, sadly many in here have preferred to bury theirs in the sand.

In some ways, I applaud the club for being ambitious, but they have been scuppered by financial and legacy issues here. Expect this scheme to be parcelled off with Elstone shortly, perhaps even as soon as March

load of codswhallop David.

I love the way any doubts are dismissed like this. We have a club with a track record in taking us up the garden path on stadiums and a whole host of problems specifically on BMD adding up around funding and objections to the scheme, but those doubts are all to be set aside because the clever people who have industry knowledge say it's all going to be ok.

I love the way any doubts are dismissed like this. We have a club with a track record in taking us up the garden path on stadiums and a whole host of problems specifically on BMD adding up around funding and objections to the scheme, but those doubts are all to be set aside because the clever people who have industry knowledge say it's all going to be ok.
Must do better Dave. You are mellowing mate.

It looks fanciful.
What’s going to bring jobs and money to the city, having a status or a £5bn regeneration project?

You should be disgusted that UNESCO are threatening our city because we want to progress - but here you are bashing the wrong people because you’re absolutely loving the slightest bump in the road.

You’re a weird kind of Everton fan, Dave.

What’s going to bring jobs and money to the city, having a status or a £5bn regeneration project?

You should be disgusted that UNESCO are threatening our city because we want to progress - but here you are bashing the wrong people because you’re absolutely loving the slightest bump in the road.

You’re a weird kind of Everton fan, Dave.
I deal with reality. Cast iron reality. Having a go at UNESCO for doing what it's there to do is like barking at the moon.

These people who own Everton now are repeating the disastrous stadium policies of the past as far as I see it.

Lets face it, it doesn't look great does it?:

Club have to scrap plan to attract private investors and rely on public loans
Council tied up in knots over retaining or ditching WHS
Council leader pushing the scheme a busted flush locally and dragged in for police questioning

I think this has less to do with a unesco world heritage site, `height of buildings` etc, when the reality
is that we just do not have the money to do this and we never had.
The club will use this as damage control, and deflect blame towards unesco for the failure of a ground move.

O
I think this has less to do with a unesco world heritage site, `height of buildings` etc, when the reality
is that we just do not have the money to do this and we never had.
The club will use this as damage control, and deflect blame towards unesco for the failure of a ground move.
Oh wow that's a new level of conspiracy, its an article on the BBC about Peels original plans (No Stadium) the club aren't even mentioned in the article, yet were going to use it to get out of the move? think you might need to take your tinfoil hat off its addling your brain