2018/19 Cenk Tosun

Status
Not open for further replies.

People searching for the next Lukaku, im gonna let everybody into a little secret, we wont ever get another Lukaku, not for at least 30 years, which was the time before that we had a Lukaku. Lineker, Lukaku, players like that dont come around often.

Just a thought.
If I remember correctly re this goalscorer business.
Was the Lineker year , the one that we didn't win the league , between the 2 that we did ?
Perhaps a more selfless player may repeat the magic ?.
I know that football has changed markedly since then.
The RS were at their best when they worked and defended from the front , back in the day.
Perhaps Rom was a flat track pony (horse racing talk) i.e. scores when it's easy games , not in the big ones ?
He certainly never defended from the front.
Ready to get slated !

He's doing exactly what Silva wants him to. He's joining the attack, laying off passes for Theo/Richarlison and Gylfi and constantly drawing defenders out of position. But none of that matters if people only look at his goals scored stat. Actually try watching Everton for a change and you might see the value he brings to the side. Would I rather have a 25/season goal machine? Sure. But since they tend to go for 100m+ these days I don't think that's at all likely. Instead we have a striker who brings our other forward players into play and we aren't reliant on one player.

yeah mate some ppl in here really dont know anything about football especially some lads in this thread

they say we need a lukaku like its easy to replace a striker who is gone for 85 million. pay 150 million for aguero then you will get your "next lukaku".

Yup and we had Lukaku scoring goals for fun and yet we finished mid table two seasons on the bounce. Conversely our best season in the past 20 odd years coincided with having Marcus Bent up front who could hardly be classed as a great goalscorer, France just won the world cup and their striker didn't score a goal etc...

It's a nice bonus to have, it's not the be all and end all though unless your team is set up purely for the striker to score goals and nobody else which is a dangerous way to play anyway.

I think he's done fine so far. He links the play quite well, puts a shift in etc.

Can't get on board with people saying it doesn't matter if he doesn't score though. It absolutely does. It's fine that he hasn't scored yet, but just being neat and tidy and getting the odd assist isn't enough for a striker you've paid £25m for. All of the attacking players need to be contributing regularly, both with goals and assists, I don't believe for a second that Silva will be happy if he still hasn't scored after the next couple of home games.

Also find the idea that we're not creating chances to be a bit bizarre. He needs to do a little bIt more to actually get chances in my opinion. You can't just wait for someone to pull a ball back to you at the edge of the 6 yard box to call it a chance, you need to find yourself bits of space where you can get a shot away, go past people either with or without the ball to get yourself through on goal, use your strength to outmuscle defenders and take them out of the game, or get your head on things that you weren't really the favourite for. He needs to improve on that side of his game in my opinion, as he can sometimes seem a bit like a Jelavic type, just excelling at one touch finishing but not likely to get you a goal unless someone lays it on a plate.

Again though, I don't say that to criticise him, he's been pretty good so far.

He's played well so far, I don't see the problem. He's got two assists and has played his part in our attacking play by holding up the ball well. He hasn't really had many chances to score but then he's going to be somewhat isolated as a lone striker when we're so frequently down to 10 men.

Status
Not open for further replies.