New Everton Stadium Discussion

Here's a trackless tram being tested. Could be a good way of moving a lot of people up that road.

The fan zone area is massive. Would have loved a huge in door beer hall there instead of standing still freezing like our current fan zone.

I like that idea. A sheltered space would let you get bands and stuff in to keep people there for a few hours after the match. They do that in the Rugby internationals and it works really well.

For me a fanzone is a "nice to have" addition as a meeting point etc. Especially for mates who perhaps don't sit in the same stands, but they're generally a poor substitute for proper indoor facilities. At BMD it may serve the other purpose of acting as a large expanse to aid dispersal after the match

is a trackless tram not just a bus.

The benefits are that they're much lower capital cost than a traditional tram to install, but give similar performance in shifting reasonable numbers. This site will need this type of dedicated mass rapid transit system to move the kind of numbers between town (and its major transport hubs) and the stadium. For the cost of the 3 lines planned for Merseytram you could probably have 10 trackless tram routes and a full city centre circular shuttle too.

For me a fanzone is a "nice to have" addition as a meeting point etc. Especially for mates who perhaps don't sit in the same stands, but they're generally a poor substitute for proper indoor facilities. At BMD it may serve the other purpose of acting as a large expanse to aid dispersal after the match
My only worry about any form of fan zone in and around BMD would be that in most month of the year, and in most circumstances, it would be ruddy freezing.

I regularly walk down the Prom (obviously much further down the river), but the wind is often biting unless you're well and truly wrapped up. Even then, its not nice.

While I am not one for the ol' fan zone idea as I would much rather be in the pub, I couldn't see me wanting to stand there with my son unless it's a warm day.

With regards to trackless trams, I believe that these are being proposed for the journey up Brownlow Hill from Lime Street to the Knowledge Quarter.

Depends what is built there to accommodate fans. Plenty of ways to make sure people aren't stood out in the rain and are warm.

Unless it’s a building I don’t see how that’s possible?

Current fan zone has those umbrellas to keep a bunch of people dry, and unless you’re talking about those infrared heaters which would be be useless in such a harsh environment and scale.

Far, far longer. Single decker and can carry a couple of hundred paasenger. Battery driven, so no overhead wires. Guided by GPS, so no track. Already up and running in China. Article in the Echo about them. Looking at them to get people up the hill to the new stuff being built.

If they can have segregated lanes they could be a game-changer for the mass people-movement issue. They are also more flexible than trams in that they can be more easily rerouted to adapt to change in demand and be faster on street than traditional trams. Liverpool waters will need its own segregated system if it is to succeed.... this could be transformative for the future of public transport in some cities. Importantly it could form a fast shuttle/loop to get people to and from the city centre and all major transport hubs.

They've opened the dock road after the works to improve the road. I drove down it the other day and noticed that the cycle lanes are huge. No chance there won't be thousands of people walking in them on a match day.

Re the fan zone, it is such a huge potential asset and money spinner, I just don't see the club wasting the opportunity here. It must be unique to have such a huge space next to the ground. I'm not sure what they can use, but I suppose I'm thinking of the way the cafe terrace culture in southern Europe doesn't stop when the weather turns cold. Something semi permanent with heating for the winter months which can be opened up when the weather allows. There will be stuff which can do the job. I'm not thinking of a tent here.

Re the fan zone, it is such a huge potential asset and money spinner, I just don't see the club wasting the opportunity here. It must be unique to have such a huge space next to the ground. I'm not sure what they can use, but I suppose I'm thinking of the way the cafe terrace culture in southern Europe doesn't stop when the weather turns cold. Something semi permanent with heating for the winter months which can be opened up when the weather allows. There will be stuff which can do the job. I'm not thinking of a tent here.

Yeah a huge fire pit sounds about right.

The benefits are that they're much lower capital cost than a traditional tram to install, but give similar performance in shifting reasonable numbers. This site will need this type of dedicated mass rapid transit system to move the kind of numbers between town (and its major transport hubs) and the stadium. For the cost of the 3 lines planned for Merseytram you could probably have 10 trackless tram routes and a full city centre circular shuttle too.

Theres an expectation that the knowledge quarter will be the first area of Liverpool to be served by trackless teams. Hopefully, that 'drives' further adoption throughout. Certainly down the strand.